Some BI Questions

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Had a few more questions about Blue Iris that I'm hoping some of the pros here can answer:

1. Is Blue Iris capable of sending an alert if someone was to move a camera so that it was looking at a different spot than before? I saw this on a cheap costco camera kit this weekend and was wondering if I could achieve the same feature with Blue Iris and my Dahua 3 MP cameras.

2. Is it possible to see which users are logged into the Blue Iris web server at any given time and viewing the camera feeds remotely?

3. Is it possible to have a Blue Iris desktop experience at a geographical location remote to the cameras? As in, could I install Blue Iris on my desktop at home and monitor the cameras at my office through the Blue Iris server running at my office? I'm asking as an alternative to the browser or mobile apps, can you have a native desktop experience with Blue Iris?

Those are just some of the questions I've had in the last week or so as I've been experimenting with Blue Iris.

Thank you!

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks dalepa,

How do I go about doing #1 and #3? I figured out #2, but am not sure how to do the other two.

For #1, where would the setting be found?

For question #3, how do I go about adding the view? Do I have to add each camera individually, or can I simply add the BI server somehow?

Thanks.

jasong127

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would suggest for #3 using RealVNC (or something similar). It's free. You're basically asking how to get an exact experience of being home, but not being at home? A VNC (remote desktop) might be your only option if you don't like to mobile browser built in. Plus you can use if for other things to control your computer from the office if you wanted.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@jasong127 have you tested reavnc? im curious if it adds much cpu overhead? Teamviewer certainly does, so a more efficient alternative would be nice.
Also, you can stream from one BI machine to another if thats what op wants to do...

Last edited by a moderator:

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys I've used Teamviewer as well as RealVNC but was wondering if it's possible to have two BI installations with one acting as the server and the other as the client, and simply connecting to the server BI rather than connecting through port-forwarding to each individual camera.

Thanks.

P.S. As far as low cpu overhead, Google Chrome's Remote Desktop extension is pretty good.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@IPCamDude, yes you can do this....
Heres how, On the remote system, add a camera, enter your remote machines external ip address or dynamic dns address. In the http port, enter your blue iris webserver port. Enter your webserver user name and passowrd
In the camera make model, select raw h.264. and use path /h264/XXXX Where XXXX is the camera short name.

Last edited by a moderator:

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@IPCamDude, yes you can do this....
Heres how, On the remote system, add a camera, enter your remote machines external ip address or dynamic dns address. In the http port, enter your blue iris webserver port. Enter your webserver user name and passowrd
In the camera make model, select raw h.264. and use path /h264/XXXX Where XXXX is the camera short name.

Awesome. You are the best. Will try tonight.