Some Blue Iris Alerts Not Playing

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running BI5 on an i5-6500 machine and I have an issue where some alerts won't play. The alert thumbnail appears in the alert list and when I click on it, all I see on the main screen is the same still image. The alerts tell me that X seconds (10, 16 secs etc) but they won't play. In BI I just get the still image and the same on my Android phone.

9 cameras, 8 x 2MP and 1 x 6MP. This issue mostly happens on the 6MP and one of the 2MP's. Then again, those two cameras get the most alerts.

Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running BI5 on an i5-6500 machine and I have an issue where some alerts won't play. The alert thumbnail appears in the alert list and when I click on it, all I see on the main screen is the same still image. The alerts tell me that X seconds (10, 16 secs etc) but they won't play. In BI I just get the still image and the same on my Android phone.

9 cameras, 8 x 2MP and 1 x 6MP. This issue mostly happens on the 6MP and one of the 2MP's. Then again, those two cameras get the most alerts.

Any ideas?
Make sure you are not using smart codecs on the camera

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nope. Smart Codec is off. H.264H encoding, VBR but changed that to CBR to see if it changes anything

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also it's not a case that all alerts from the cameras are frozen/stills. Just some of them. So I'd get some motion clips from a camera and then some still/frozen ones.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) Do the frozen clips play the next day. Does the behavior of the frozen clips change over time ?
2) Are you recording only alert clips or are you recording continuous in BI ?
3) On your cameras what is the frame rate, Iframe values.
4) IN bi on the camera trigger what is your break time / end trigger time ?
5) IN BI On camera video network configuration what is your receive buffer size ?
6) IN BI On camera record what is the pre trigger video buffer in second ?

The use of VBT or CBR should not effect the play back

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For anyone looking at this thread, here's what I did.

Basically I uninstalled BI5 completely, removing all files and registry entries, formatted my WD Purples and set up from scratch. Overkill but I wanted a clean slate and to remove any possibility of an error during migration from a older BI4 machine to a new BI5 machine.

What I think happened is that when I copied over all the files and the hard drives from the BI4 machine, the hard drive allocation settings in BI5 were askew. In BI5 it was telling me that my hard drive storage was -3.29TB and due to that it perhaps couldn't store the alert clip. Just my suspicion as when reconfiguring the BI5 machine, all the camera settings were the same.