Some newbie general setup questions

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys, love the forums! I just bought 4 Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I to run at our new townhouse we bought. I bought Blue Iris, the Blue Iris Android app and Tinycam Pro.

I am running Blue Iris on a dual purpose Plex i5 machine with a 3tb WD Purple drive. Everything runs great. I also run PFsense so I have OpenVPN setup to access the cameras from the internet through a secure tunnel. I have Blue Iris setup to record 24/7, direct to disk and have the Intel hardware acceleration turned on as well.

I guess my question is I am a little confused as to what my optimal settings should be in the cameras and what should be set on Blue Iris itself. Mostly concerned with the recording, and frames per second or anything else I should be aware of..

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All fps and image settings need to be made in the camera itself.
Match iframe interval to the fps.

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
a reply from the man himself, thanks Fenderman! any recommended settings you could suggest? is 30 fps too high to record? should i use h264x or + or whatever it is?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
a reply from the man himself, thanks Fenderman! any recommended settings you could suggest? is 30 fps too high to record? should i use h264x or + or whatever it is?
30 fps is way too much. Set it to 15. you need to use h.264...h.264+ is proprietary to hikvision and will not work with blue iris.

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks man.. anything else I should set or tweak? been reading the forums a lot, too much information :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks man.. anything else I should set or tweak? been reading the forums a lot, too much information :)
Just take it one step at a time...make changes slowly so youll know what caused an issue...

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks @fenderman. are those decent enough cameras? I actually have 3 right now for outside and will be getting something else for inside. I want to put one on the outside of our garage and won't be able to run ethernet there. Do you guys know if cameras are successful running ethernet over powerline for a connection?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks @fenderman. are those decent enough cameras? I actually have 3 right now for outside and will be getting something else for inside. I want to put one on the outside of our garage and won't be able to run ethernet there. Do you guys know if cameras are successful running ethernet over powerline for a connection?
They are great cameras..they dont perform well at night in dark environments...the native 2mp cameras are much better. But if you have exterior lighting they are fine...
Hire someone to run the cable for you...professional low voltage cable installers can do it...well worth the investment.

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks man.. The problem is the house is being built and the site supervisor is a nightmare.. I already spent $4k to get my whole house wired for cat6a, now the drywall is all up so I am looking for some alternatives..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks man.. The problem is the house is being built and the site supervisor is a nightmare.. I already spent $4k to get my whole house wired for cat6a, now the drywall is all up so I am looking for some alternatives..
4k? ouch..Dont worry about the drywall...They can bring wire anywhere at about 100-150 a drop...it will cost you 50 for the powerline and it will never work 100 percent.

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, maybe I will wait until it is finished and do it then.. it was about $3500 CDN for about 25 drops including a few HDMI in the ceiling for projector and some speaker wire.

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
just a followup. just going to install the 3TB drive tonight. any suggestions on the clips and archiving settings? how should I split up the 3tb? 1.25 for New, 1.25 for stored, a little for alerts and a little for headroom?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
just a followup. just going to install the 3TB drive tonight. any suggestions on the clips and archiving settings? how should I split up the 3tb? 1.25 for New, 1.25 for stored, a little for alerts and a little for headroom?
its really personal preference...the alerts folder stores nothing unless you choose to save high res alert images...headroom is a good idea and recommended... also remember that you can setup aux folders...for example you can have certain cameras record to a folder that has more/less room than the primary folders.

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
but if I don't setup the Aux folders, all four cameras will just record into the default saved folder? I would probably want a folder for each camera so it would be easy to track down video it an incident happened, instead of everything lumped into the one folder. thanks for all your help man, you are an asset to the community.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
but if I don't setup the Aux folders, all four cameras will just record into the default saved folder? I would probably want a folder for each camera so it would be easy to track down video it an incident happened, instead of everything lumped into the one folder. thanks for all your help man, you are an asset to the community.
in each cameras record tab you can tell it what folder to record to..dont setup a folder for each camera....that is silly..you dont need to track anything down...blue iris does it for you..thats the point of at the clips view and the timeline...you never have to look for video at the folder level..its a waste of time and inefficient.

xman111

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks fenderman, i will set them all up to record into one folder, that makes things much easier.. I will just keep 10gb free and split the rest in 2 and be done with it.

Reaction score
Hello,

My setup isn't deleting the older clips from my hard drive.
Can anyone see what's wrong about my settings?
Thanks in advance.
clips and archiving.JPG