Someone at Monoprice needs a kick in the nuts

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My previous box of 1000' Cat6 was fine so I got a 500' box of the same to complete my installation. I measure the cable lengths needed, pull them from the box, and re-coil them for carrying into the attic. This latest box won't coil nicely AT ALL. There are minor kinks every couple of feet and no matter which way I try to coil it, it wants to go the other direction and twist around to boot. I don't know what they changed, but this cable is 100x harder to deal with than the first box.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My previous box of 1000' Cat6 was fine so I got a 500' box of the same to complete my installation. I measure the cable lengths needed, pull them from the box, and re-coil them for carrying into the attic. This latest box won't coil nicely AT ALL. There are minor kinks every couple of feet and no matter which way I try to coil it, it wants to go the other direction and twist around to boot. I don't know what they changed, but this cable is 100x harder to deal with than the first box.
Hi @Mr_D

That is not fun... please feel free to share any pictures which illustrate the point.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you tell if someone had pulled it all out then stuffed back in without coiling properly and running the twists out the free end to prevent kinks? or did the box look cherry?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Both batches are unshielded Cat6 and should be the same. I did notice that the 500' box was dry while the 1000' box had some lube applied. They were purchased a few years apart so who knows if the supplier is even the same. I opened the 500' box to feed a few feet back in and it looked factory-packed.

I'm not sure a picture would really show much. With other cable, it naturally wants to coil a certain way for some distance, then flips directions, but I'm able to go with it and coil it fairly neatly. Its like this batch want to flip and twist direction every 2 feet so its impossible to coil without tangling. Whatever changed in their process, it sucks.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Both batches are unshielded Cat6 and should be the same. I did notice that the 500' box was dry while the 1000' box had some lube applied. They were purchased a few years apart so who knows if the supplier is even the same. I opened the 500' box to feed a few feet back in and it looked factory-packed.

I'm not sure a picture would really show much. With other cable, it naturally wants to coil a certain way for some distance, then flips directions, but I'm able to go with it and coil it fairly neatly. Its like this batch want to flip and twist direction every 2 feet so its impossible to coil without tangling. Whatever changed in their process, it sucks.
Maybe call MonoPrice and complain?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its like this batch want to flip and twist direction every 2 feet so its impossible to coil without tangling. Whatever changed in their process, it sucks.
And solid copper doesn't like to be twisted-kinked-untwisted-unkinked and repeated again and again in the same area without some bad consequences!