Sony sensor in 3849H-AS-PV-S4 version?

RockIsland

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Folks!

My question is what kind of sensor in HDW-3849H-AS-PV-S4 version?
These cameras are in a real world test working like a peace of sh#t by night or even daytime ?
I have seen some negative comments of that model.......

Thank you so much for your answers!

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 3849 is a horrible camera that should have never been sold.

This is active deterrence camera on an 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it is on a horrible MP/sensor ratio. You cannot have enough light at night for it to perform well. That sensor is designed for 2MP so a 2MP camera will kick its butt all night long.

Even worse, since this 8MP is on the same sensor and CPU as a 2MP non TIOC camera and there are many threads here showing how under-performing that 3849 is. They had to limit bitrate and other parameters on the 3849 to try to make it functional, and it just doesn't cut it.

In my opinion the 3849 should not be sold with that current MP/sensor and CPU combination, but alas everybody wants 4k and chases MP over sensor and this camera is the epitome of that thinking.

Further, the red/blue flashing lights are more gimmicky and are certainly not a deterrent. With any ambient light you won't see the red/blue flashing unless you are looking right at the camera.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

Lot's of threads here where people showed how bad the 3849 camera is in performing:

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV issues

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV loses connection/reboots during the day

Replaced HDW5442TMP-ASE by HFW3849T1P

Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV Video Quality

RockIsland

n3wb
Reaction score
The 3849 is a horrible camera that should have never been sold.

This is active deterrence camera on an 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it is on a horrible MP/sensor ratio. You cannot have enough light at night for it to perform well. That sensor is designed for 2MP so a 2MP camera will kick its butt all night long.

Even worse, since this 8MP is on the same sensor and CPU as a 2MP non TIOC camera and there are many threads here showing how under-performing that 3849 is. They had to limit bitrate and other parameters on the 3849 to try to make it functional, and it just doesn't cut it.

In my opinion the 3849 should not be sold with that current MP/sensor and CPU combination, but alas everybody wants 4k and chases MP over sensor and this camera is the epitome of that thinking.

Further, the red/blue flashing lights are more gimmicky and are certainly not a deterrent. With any ambient light you won't see the red/blue flashing unless you are looking right at the camera.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

Lot's of threads here where people showed how bad the 3849 camera is in performing:

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV issues

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV loses connection/reboots during the day

Replaced HDW5442TMP-ASE by HFW3849T1P

Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV Video Quality
Thank you for your answer. Bad news for me, I have alredy ordered 3.6mm 5pcs of them from ebay......, no option for send back. Maybe I can sell them.... and buy other options. I like the active deterrence function, so the 3449 H-AS-PV is much better by night?

RockIsland

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. Bad news for me, I have alredy ordered 3.6mm 5pcs of them from ebay......, no option for send back. Maybe I can sell them.... and buy other options. I like the active deterrence function, so the 3449 H-AS-PV is much better by night?
I have the S4 version from this cameras, what is the difference from S2 or S3 models?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The s version means it is using a different chipset, but no telling if it is better or worse than the previous chipset.

RockIsland

n3wb
Reaction score
The s version means it is using a different chipset, but no telling if it is better or worse than the previous chipset.
Thank you. I just sent an email to Dahua, about the type of sensor and chipset questions. Really curious for answer.

Another thing: What about the IR of the cameras? The TiOC will be works fine with the IR mode and IVS rules together ?
I bought the cameras for active deterrence function not exactly what they see in color at night, because the police in my country do not care about the recorded files, we have some experiences with them and the answer was like they can not use them, maybe some license plates OK but faces no. No capacity to catch them despite of have a recorded file with faces.... shame.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you. I just sent an email to Dahua, about the type of sensor and chipset questions. Really curious for answer.

Another thing: What about the IR of the cameras? The TiOC will be works fine with the IR mode and IVS rules together ?
I bought the cameras for active deterrence function not exactly what they see in color at night, because the police in my country do not care about the recorded files, we have some experiences with them and the answer was like they can not use them, maybe some license plates OK but faces no. No capacity to catch them despite of have a recorded file with faces.... shame.
new tioc cameras seems to work only in color mode with IVS rules.
Some already come here having problems.

One guy wrote dahua and their answer was that it will only work in full color mode.

They have smart dual light feature. SMD triggers the camera, it will turn on warmlight and switch to color, then IVS can be triggered.

But there is only little proof of that. You can try yourself.. buy new tioc camera and report.

RockIsland

n3wb
Reaction score
new tioc cameras seems to work only in color mode with IVS rules.
Some already come here having problems.

One guy wrote dahua and their answer was that it will only work in full color mode.

They have smart dual light feature. SMD triggers the camera, it will turn on warmlight and switch to color, then IVS can be triggered.

But there is only little proof of that. You can try yourself.. buy new tioc camera and report.
I have already ordered them, unfortunately I only saw the shortcomings of the forum afterwards. S4 version, hopefully much better chipset than previous models, at least better chipset if the sensor is already inadequate.......
I await the official response from Dahua.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have already ordered them, unfortunately I only saw the shortcomings of the forum afterwards. S4 version, hopefully much better chipset than previous models, at least better chipset if the sensor is already inadequate.......
I await the official response from Dahua.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^And that is the 4MP version shoved on the same sensor, so 8MP will be even worse.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have ever been down the isle of a well stocked sporting goods store,
especially the fishing lure section then you understand most of these are designed
to catch the fisherman and his money! This is the same thing with these cameras too!

Is it you are looking for CHEAP for YOUR SECURITY too? Would a reputable dealer
NOT ACCEPT RETURNS? I humbly ask these redundant questions in a hope that
one rethinks the needs vs the fancy adds and low ball prices. As one typically
receives quality commensurate to the ratio of money spent.