Sony SNC-CH240 - cannot install ActiveX on IE

aldobordi

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a couple of old but still good SNC cameras.
Unfortunately I cannot run or install any more the ActiveX control in IE, (on Windows 7), which is needed for live view and also for setting Motion Detection area and other settings.
I have last firmware v 1.87, but also tried previous versions, but no luck.
The browser prompts for ActiveX install, but then I see a red cross icon and no video. I already fiddled with all options and security settings, without results.
The only way I found is using XP mode, with an older IE browser.
Any solution to this problem ?
Thanks
Aldo

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As far as I can see it does not support ActiveX controls, being based on Mozilla...
Correct, but many cameras also have mozilla compatible plugins. Pale moon is the easiest place to get these to work.

IE tab in Google Chrome may be worth a try.

It looks like if you update the firmware they've added a plug-in free viewer (which probably lacks some features found on plugin version). I'd also suggest installing thier video player and toolbox software.
SNC-CH240

How are you recording the cameras?

aldobordi

n3wb
Reaction score
Correct, but many cameras also have mozilla compatible plugins. Pale moon is the easiest place to get these to work.

IE tab in Google Chrome may be worth a try.

It looks like if you update the firmware they've added a plug-in free viewer (which probably lacks some features found on plugin version). I'd also suggest installing thier video player and toolbox software.
SNC-CH240

How are you recording the cameras?
Yes, the CH240 has a plug-in free viewer, but unfortunately it works only with MJPEG stream. Perhaps I could try with VLC using RTSP protocol.
And for some settings, i.e. defining the area for motion detection, the only way is using the ActiveX plugin.

I record pictures via FTP client, and record movies on the compact flash,

aldobordi

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like if you update the firmware
Bingo! Sony just released a new firmware version, v 1.88, and, guess what is in the release notes?

"Fixed a problem that camera image might not be displayed in ActiveX viewer.
There is a problem that the camera image may not be displayed when connecting to the camera with Internet Explorer (IE). When the problem occurs, a × mark is displayed at the upper left of the ActiveX viewer (And motion detection setting monitor screen). This problem was corrected."

Shame on Sony, who took several months to fix a problem like this, but at least they fixed it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bingo! Sony just released a new firmware version, v 1.88, and, guess what is in the release notes?

"Fixed a problem that camera image might not be displayed in ActiveX viewer.
There is a problem that the camera image may not be displayed when connecting to the camera with Internet Explorer (IE). When the problem occurs, a × mark is displayed at the upper left of the ActiveX viewer (And motion detection setting monitor screen). This problem was corrected."

Shame on Sony, who took several months to fix a problem like this, but at least they fixed it.
It may not all be sony's fault. Microsoft could have messed things up with a software update for ie.