Sorry, file could not be found.

jkthomas3480

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This problem started two updates ago. Some of my alerts will open with no problem at all and some give me the error "Sorry, file could not be found". I record continuous in 1 hour segments as well as the motion alerts. When I switch to the 1 hour segments after getting this error on alerts, I have hours missing. Yesterday it was all segments from about 10 am to around 6 pm that were gone. I ran repair/regenerate for the DB and all of my one hour segments reappeared but now all of my alerts are gone, not just the ones that were giving me the error but all of them. I have not emailed support yet, going to try that today but is anyone else seeing this lately?

Update - I did not want to rename my DB and start from scratch as I have a lot of flagged alerts saved but I did just that yesterday. I also adjusted my allocations. I had allocated 2 TB to the stored folder even though I am am not transferring anything to stored. It is all in new (whether or not this is a good practice, I do not know). The older versions of BI never had an issue from my over allocations it it seems this may have been part of the problem. As of this morning everything seems to be fine. I will update again if the problem comes back.

Last edited:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Unfortunately, yes. So, yesterday I moved the database to a different folder in BI (deleting the original). Then I reduced the size of of my New Clips archiving another 100G, and I deleted the oldest 3 days of clips, and set everything running again. Checking this morning, everything is showing up. We'll see if it's still all good a couple of days from now...

jkthomas3480

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unfortunately, yes. So, yesterday I moved the database to a different folder in BI (deleting the original). Then I reduced the size of of my New Clips archiving another 100G, and I deleted the oldest 3 days of clips, and set everything running again. Checking this morning, everything is showing up. We'll see if it's still all good a couple of days from now...
I've also tried deleting the database and rebuilding. Problem came back for me. Not sure what's going on but I have a 6T drive and only 1T is being used at the moment. Should be no issue of hard drive space. The weird thing is that it's not deleting "old" clips to make room for new ones. The issue yesterday was with clips in the middle of the day. I emailed support after my post here. I will update all if I get this worked out. Or if someone else figures it out please let me know.

jkthomas3480

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I saw that thread before I posted mine, it says solved but I haven't been able to get my issue fixed from anything I have read there. Backed up a copy of my database this morning and let it build from scratch. It's still not bringing the alerts back. I haven't changed anything in the allocation settings since I upgraded my HD last year. Unless one of the latest updates has made changes to those settings. I used to always get the overallocation warning but BI would always delete the older clips to make room for new ones. Now this is very random. I have clips from the 20th but lost everything from before that and yesterdays alerts. Could be something I am doing wrong or not understanding I guess.

Edit: The original post on that other thread says alerts were only lasting 5 hours to 3 days which sounds like everything is in order, it's just removing older clips way sooner than it should. I am not seeing that. Before I did the regenerate, I had alerts from around 18 days ago but the last couple of days I could not open certain alerts. Some before and some after those error clips would open fine. Doesn't seem to be a consistent issue.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
are you using an internal local drive,or usb drive, or a network share for the database and your data storage

jkthomas3480

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
are you using an internal local drive,or usb drive, or a network share for the database and your data storage
I am using a secondary internal drive for the database and data storage. I installed that drive 4 or 5 months ago and had no issues with this configuration until the last couple of updates.

Edit: Not sure if this helps any but I can go through an entire day with no issues and it seems like the next day is when I start seeing the error. BI is set to compact/repair DB each day. I am wondering if something is happening during that process.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are the drive folder paths correct and unique ?
example
C:\BlueIris\DB
N:\BlueIris\Alerts
N:\BlueIris\New
N:\BlueIris\Stored

I really have no other ideas.

jkthomas3480

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are the drive folder paths correct and unique ?
example
C:\BlueIris\DB
N:\BlueIris\Alerts
N:\BlueIris\New
N:\BlueIris\Stored

I really have no other ideas.
I have my DB on the secondary drive rather than on the local C drive. Would it be best to have the DB on C?

I'm not exactly clear on how BI handles the alerts. I am only using the New folder, I do not save images of the alerts (but I do have thumbnails of them in the tree when everything is working correctly).

I also never have anything in the stored folder. BI always deleted the oldest clips to make room when my disk usage was getting and I have no real need to keep anything stored.