Sound on Hikvision camera

Small Fish

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I am not far off buying my first Hikvision POE camera. The model I would like is DS-2CD2632F-IS. I see the from photos of this camera for sale, there are 3 leads that come out it. One is obviously for the ethernet cable. However I would like to know what the other 2 are for? I guess one is for sound? If so is does this also have to connected to the NVR with another ethernet cable?

My second general question is it really worth having a recording of sound (on any camera) - does it really help to catch the baddies?
I would be interested to know what other forum members' thoughts are on recording sound with the pictures.
thank you for any replies.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! You generally dont need sound, and in many states its not legal to record audio....for that camera you need to hook up your own mic and powered speaker....the sound is transmitted over the Ethernet, the leads are just for the mic and speaker..

Small Fish

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay thanks fenderman - so a speaker connected to my camera is a possibility. That could be amusing when I check my cameras with hidden speakers, from a remote location, and see a crim on my property. In a deep voice, I could demand that he "doesn't touch that", "put that down" and "get the +%*^# of my property" ......LOL The cameras could be so much fun!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay thanks fenderman - so a speaker connected to my camera is a possibility. That could be amusing when I check my cameras with hidden speakers, from a remote location, and see a crim on my property. In a deep voice, I could demand that he "doesn't touch that", "put that down" and "get the +%*^# of my property" ......LOL The cameras could be so much fun!
The cameras can be very addicting...with the right software like blue iris, you can trigger the cameras to play any pre-recorded .wav file upon motion detection....Note that hikvision cameras do not require powered mic's (you can use one, but its not needed)...the speaker on the otherhand will need its own power source and cannot be powered off the camera.

Small Fish

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again for the interesting comments. A .wav file of a police siren would be a great one, although you may get the triggered sound going off when trees blow in wind, cats, etc. I have seen this name of software "Blue Iris". A quick google tells me it's software for CCTV. Why would I need it when the Hikvision NVR/camera comes with its own software?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the interesting comments. A .wav file of a police siren would be a great one, although you may get the triggered sound going off when trees blow in wind, cats, etc. I have seen this name of software "Blue Iris". A quick google tells me it's software for CCTV. Why would I need it when the Hikvision NVR/camera comes with its own software?
You dont need blue iris and may be able to accomplish the same in another fashion..blue iris is PC based NVR software...it is primarily for ip cameras but can accommodate analog cctv cams if you have the proper card for it....
I would not say that blue iris is "better" or worse than the other options but it is different...for example you can mix and match any brand of cameras and it has way more flexibility with respect to scheduling and alerts over ivms and standalone NVR's...the downside is that it requires a windows machine which needs to be powerful if you are running may high resolution cameras.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My Hikvision 2432 (with built in speaker that is powered by the camera) has a built in siren sound that it can play when motion is detected. Sounds nothing like police though and it just gives away the camera's position.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My Hikvision 2432 (with built in speaker that is powered by the camera) has a built in siren sound that it can play when motion is detected. Sounds nothing like police though and it just gives away the camera's position.
The most annoying part is that there is no easy way to turn the siren on or off...hikvision needs to implement the capability to turn the siren, motion detection (and line cross, etc), pir, on and off via the mobile app.