Source for white outdoor Ethernet cable?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cheapest place to order. no tax. I ordered 20 cases per year. Cat5e Ethernet | 1000 ft | Black | Shielded | Pull Box | Fast Shipping
Sounds like great cable, free shipping (a VERY good savings) but I think the OP was looking for a white jacket with those specs (CAT-5e, outdoor-rated, solid copper, UTP).

But I will keep their Cat. # CAT5E1000SOBK in mind in case I have a hard time in the future finding Ubiquiti ToughCable Pro in a hurry or at a good price. Thanks for the tip! :)

Secured

n3wb
Reaction score
Can outdoor cables for be used for indoor as well? Going to be running it on top of ceiling tiles and in some wall. Not sure if the cable gets hotter if it's indoor and affects it.

Is the outdoor Cat6 from Monoprice as good as their indoor cables? 1000FT 23AWG Cat6 550MHz UTP Solid, Bulk Ethernet Cable, Direct Burial, Black (No Logo) - Monoprice.com

or 1000FT Cat 6 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable UTP, Solid, Plenum Jacket (CMP), 550MHz, 23AWG

or should I use https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-TOUGHCable-Shielded-Ethernet/product-reviews/B008L143VW/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent#RO6EE112B6ZMH?

Going to put up 2mp Starlights

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can outdoor cables for be used for indoor as well? Going to be running it on top of ceiling tiles and in some wall. Not sure if the cable gets hotter if it's indoor and affects it.
Yes, but outdoor-rated (CMX) cable is usually stiffer and its qualities make it more costly.

For your application above ceiling or at ceiling height I would use indoor, CMP (Plenum) or CMR (Riser).

Insure ANY and ALL cables are solid copper, not CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum).

Regarding the Ubiquiti ToughCable Pro shielded, I use it regularly and hold it in high regard but unless you're going outdoor and have concerns from EMI/RFI (like static from local lightning) you likely won't need the shielded. BTW, shielded cable is useless if not properly terminated with shielded connectors and properly grounded.

In the ceiling, or anywhere for that matter, if you must cross any 120 VAC power lines to lighting fixtures, etc. , do so only at a right angle, don't run parallel to them unless your network cable will remain at least 2 feet away.

tallboytx

n3wb
Reaction score
Everything I can find is black and most of it is gel-filled for direct burial. I won't be burying it, but I'll need UV resistance and a white jacket. Black would look ugly as hell and I don't want to paint it.
i have black uv resistant cat 5 and 6 that has deteriorated in the sun in two years time. does anyone sell uv proof cable?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My project design has evolved so much since I posted this, including their placement. I now have 6 cameras deployed. Two are high enough that the Ethernet punches through the exterior wall at the bottom of the attic. Three more have their cables run through 3/4" PVC in the garage to reach the attic. A fourth does the same inside a closet. None of these cameras have any exposed cables.

I've saved the most difficult and final two cameras for last. I could say its because I needed more time and experience to figure out the details, but it could be because I've been putting it off due to the complexity. These two will require exterior cabling. No way around it. I've settled on a path which their cables will share part of the way. They'll be in 3/4" PVC from the point they exit the attic under the eave all the way to Dahua PFA130E waterproof junction boxes. The PVC will be painted glued together in sections and painted to match the house and patio cover. I've already test painted a scrap piece of PVC and it matches nicely. The cable should never see the light of day once installed.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I already have the white version of that cable. Good stuff, but not outdoor rated.
I have been using this cable but under the eaves of the roof and not in the direct sunlight. No problems after two+ years and the cable still looks good.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i have black uv resistant cat 5 and 6 that has deteriorated in the sun in two years time. does anyone sell uv proof cable?
Your best bet is to put it in conduit where it's exposed or paint it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the last 8 years I've using Ubiquiti Toughcable Pro which is rated for outdoor and is UV-resistant BUT...

It's not directly exposed to sunlight, as I tuck it under vinyl siding or siding edge moldings or I put it under a roof overhang, etc. In some cases there is a few inches directly exposed where the cable exits the siding or molding and enters the structure with the drip loop and is located on a wall way down closer to the foundation. In those instances, after I caulk the cable and entrance bushing, I paint-to-match all of it. It protects it from UV and disguises the black cable and entrance bushing on the lighter colored wall or siding.