Speco n8NXP and Amcrest / Dahua / Hikvision Cameras

dogfish54

n3wb
Reaction score
I just spent literally an entire day working on connecting my mix of camera brands to my Speco N8NXP that I purchased almost a year ago.

I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat as me and couldn't can't get this thing to work properly, but seeing as I have it all working now I feel like I could help others struggling.

The first breakthrough was flashing the Amcrest and Dahua cameras with all the same firmware. I used DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.800.0000013.0.R.191202 for all my two Amcrest and Dahua cameras. Obviously there are a lot of different models. All were 4k that were purchased late 2019 if that helps.

The second breakthrough i had was working out why the IP addresses wouldn't hold and would change over to this 192.168.78.x address. Maybe everyone knows this, but the Speco NVR will set the camera IP address through the ARP/PING process (which I never knew existed) to this address range. I didn't see this covered anywhere, and I think it's different from the Dahua NVR's. When I finally worked this out, I could let the NVR set all the IP addresses.

The third item was plugging my ethernet (network) cable from the laptop directly into one of the POE ports while doing camera configuration. This helped tremedously as then my laptop could communicate directly with the cameras as needed. The other way was having a POE injector, but that worked until I plugged them into the NVR and the IP address changed without notice, and it looked like the cameras went offline.

Fourth, get the Dahua config tool, you need it to find the dang cameras, although knowing they will get a 192.168.78.x address is half the battle. Also knowing that the only way to stop them going back to this address range is to uncheck the "Set IP address through arp/ping" checkbox, then you can use whatever address you like. However, the NVR seems to struggle more with this option than letting it do it's thing. I had issues where the NVR couldn't communicate with the cameras.

Fifth, don't bother with the search option, it doesn't seem to work.

Sixth, set all your cameras to ONVIF, and "customized". There was no Dahua option, and I couldn't get the SpecoA or SpecoB to work with the Dahua cameras. As long as you make those changes and use the right IP / Password it should actually work.

Seventh, the mobile app is not awesome. Speco One works for IOS, so does SecureGuardClient. Neither works well for playback (if you can work it out let me know). The web seems to work for playback. IE is supported, otherwise you can get this plugin for Chrome that looks like a different browser that works too. I use Firefox mostly, no luck there.

I have probably 16 hours into it now, and I feel like I knew what I was doing with networking, but clearly didn't have any NVR experience. It only clicked about the IP's after reading how the Dahua NVR's behaved, and then having it click as to why the IP's kept changing to this weird address range from their default. This was a quick write-up and could be written better, if anyone has questions I can put more time into it, just don't know if I am the last person on earth still trying to use this thing without re-flashing with Dahua firmware (that seemed like a project in itself).

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think Mat2000 should have been a little more careful when recommending this NVR to anything but experts. It was a great deal, but cost me way more in time. However I feel like I learned a lot ... maybe stuff I didn't want to know though.
Hi @dogfish54

I can't be holding everyone's hands on this stuff.. I've posted tons of info and worked on notes both here at IPCAMTALK and other locations to cover this topic.

There will be a price to be paid whenever you find a deal on individual components.

You can not expect me to spend my time to hold everyone's hand on this topic... should be clear enough whenever I post "DIY learning required" = it will take you time.

Should be clear enough, that the most compatible cameras with an NVR are the ones that came in a kit with the nvr.

Similar to when people post or comment on individual CPU, Motherboard, RAM deals.. there is more work to be done by the buyer.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think Mat2000 should have been a little more careful when recommending this NVR to anything but experts. It was a great deal, but cost me way more in time. However I feel like I learned a lot ... maybe stuff I didn't want to know though.
@mat200 didn't deserve that comment. You and anyone else need to do their due diligence before spending money. Everything in this world has a learning curve, and if you want things to go well, you need to take the initiative to decide whether or not you can handle the suggested product. We are all here giving advice and information for FREE. There are no helicopter parents here. Free is worth what you paid for it. Most any NVR wouldn't have been much less work.
Don't be an ingrate.

dogfish54

n3wb
Reaction score
Woops - I was having a DM conversation with someone and thought I shared that comment about Mat200 privately. I agree with your comments and it wasn't fair to say. It was meant to be a a private vent between two people who bought something and were struggling to figure it out.

BTW the speco is a rebadged Dahua, but I think it operates a little differently based on what I have read. I think that was also something I misunderstood, that if it was rebadged that the software would be almost the same, but it's not.

dogfish54

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyway, again, my apologies. I am a proponent of sharing information, good and bad, I was just frustrated I ended up on the novice side of something I thought I'd easily be able to figure out.