specs of my BI build and using USB drives

Reaction score
Well ive finally dusted of the cobwebs and checked my old pc, im using a HP elite desk 800 G2 with a I5 6500 and 8gb of ram in dual channel 2133mhz. Its the only PC in the house that uses DDR4 so cant tax any more ram.
Its also equipped with a WD blue 500gb drive.

Im planning to run 4-6 x dahua 4mp cameras and 2 doorbell cameras (3mp) will i be pushing my 6500 to hard?

now i know surveillance drives are recommended but is it crazy to run a standard WD green drive and am i able to run it off usb rather than puttting it in the case

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
That’s the same CPU that I run, I currently have 8 Dahua 2Mp Starlight cams at 15fps which doesn’t trouble the CPU in the least. I’d recommend more than 8Gb of RAM, I have 12Gb installed as I’ve seen a few posts here where increasing beyond 8Gb resolves issues.

In terms of hard drives, that PC should have space for 2 internal full size drives, it’s a no to running off USB from me as that will be a bottleneck.

Also consider installing an SSD for the OS and BI database as that will help with overall usability.

Reaction score
Yea it has room for 1 more hdd. I thought ssd's made minimal difference other than booting.

Will try to get another matched pair of ram to give me 4 x 4gb sticks

I'm not sure If I can run 2 hdd and a ssd ill need to check Sata headers.

Im also going to run wifi to my normal network and keep the ethernet for my cameras

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is strongly recommended to not have the BI new folder on the C drive or a USB drive.

In a normal configuration you can have the Stored folder on a USB driver. Note that most USB drivers are not designed for the BI write load.

Reaction score
I'll Deffinitly run bi from the Installed drive. Just the storage dive I thought it may be easyier to use USB till I got arround to buying a proper survalince drive.