Spider Webs

wayner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One of my outdoor cameras has attracted a spider and he continually builds his web attatched to the IP camera housing. This causes the motion sensor to go off - both from the web itself, and especially when he is crawling along his web right in front of the camera.

Anyone come up with a good way of dealing with spider webs?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
One of my outdoor cameras has attracted a spider and he continually builds his web attatched to the IP camera housing. This causes the motion sensor to go off - both from the web itself, and especially when he is crawling along his web right in front of the camera.

Anyone come up with a good way of dealing with spider webs?
search...many threads on temporary solutions....best solution is to use a turret camera...

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Or in Australia buy the most powerful spider killer known to man,we have red backs down here.:wave:

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ahh yes Spiders, they are a problem I have been battling with. They are attracted to the ir lights ... well not so much the spiders as their lunch are attracted to the lights. A quick fix is clean the web off and spray with wd 40 but they will come back after a day or two. Only real solution is to turn off the lights on the camera and put a separate IR light a bit further away. So far my done cameras are unaffected, only bullet cams. This one abseiled right past my Hikvision doe without stopping to buid a web. :)

RichM

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW this is what I use.

You can find it on ebay etc.
Not cheap, but very effective.
I paid around $39 for 1 pint which will make about 16 one gallon mixes.

It works on my outside cameras for about a month and a half at each spraying.
Less if exposed to rain. (I spray a band around the cameras)

I mix it at 1 oz. per gallon for outside spray and 3/4 oz. for inside in the garage.

The mix is a little thicker than just water alone and needs to be shaken before each use.

(Edit: Just to mention the obvious. Do NOT get spray in your Ethernet or power connectors)

Rich

Deltamethrin

D-Fense SC and Suspend SC both contain 4.75% Deltamethrin.

This odorless insecticide is in a micro encapsulated formulation that gives you up to 3 months of continuous pest control indoors, and 1 month or better on the outside surface of your home or business. D-Fense SC and Suspend SC both contain 4.75% Deltamethrin.

Considered by many professionals to be the best insecticide to kill spiders, scorpions, large roaches and other labeled insect pests
Deltamethrin insecticide sprays used to control or eliminate a wide variety of pests such as spiders, bed bugs, ants, carpenter ants, fleas, ticks, clothes moths and many other household pests.

Using 1.5 ounces of concentrated Deltamethrin product per gallon of water is considered the "clean out" rate by professionals.

The clean out rate has better knock down power for spiders, ticks and other hard to kill pests in and around the home.

Once pest populations are eliminated, use .750 ounces per gallon for regular spray treatment.

When used as directed, this Deltamethrin spray is perfectly safe for use in homes where children and pets live.
Keep children and pets out of area to be treated and keep them off treated surfaces until surfaces have been allowed to dry.

Last edited:

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've tried many remedies posted on this site and other sites (from google searches).
I seemed to have figured out something that works well for me at least.
I have about 6 outdoor cameras. Some are right under the roofline of the house, one is on a small platform right off the ground and one is on a large tree limb.
I discovered that moth balls work well, but not the cheap ones at the dollar store, the big box of them at Home Depot (around $8), but there are a lot of them.
Here is what I do that is very effective.
For the camera that is on a small wooden platform near the ground. I put about 4-6 mothballs underneath the camera. The mothballs are about 6" underneath the front of the camera.
The cameras I have under the eve of the house are in a very small plastic (open) container, again about 6-8 inches from the front of the camera. I fashioned the small plastic containers to "hang" or attach to something.
For the camera in the tree, again I use a small plastic container but with a cover and holes punched underneath the lip of the "lid" on top so with any rain it should be protected well enough to let fumes out but not rain in.
Since doing this I never see any spiders/webs. I think it's partially because flying bugs are somewhat repelled, thus eliminating a favorite spot for spiders to set up shop and partially because the spiders won't build in the way of the fumes.
Either way, it works for me and however you rig it up, do so where the 'fumes' waif around the camera lens area. Of course breezy places might have a more limited effect but over time I think it discourages spiders.
The moth balls in a closed container last 2-3 weeks and the ones in the open about 2 weeks.