Splitting cat5e cable?

Chaddy5552

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have one cat5e cable run to where I would like to set up 2 poe ip cameras. Am I able to split the four twisted pairs into sets of two and run each camera off 2 pairs instead of 4?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no, normal ethernet only leaves a single pair unused.. and those are utilized to send power for PoE.. so all pairs are used and will only talk to a single interface.

attach a wire/rope/string to one end of your your existing cable and yank it out from the other end.. then go back to the start point, attach that old cable along with a parallel new one to your wire/rope/string and yank it back through your path with both ethernet cables.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaddy5552

n3wb
Reaction score
no, normal ethernet only leaves a single pair unused.. and those are utilized to send power for PoE.. so all pairs are used and will only talk to a single interface.

attach a wire/rope/string to one end of your your existing cable and yank it out from the other end.. then go back to the start point, attach that old cable along with a parallel new one to your wire/rope/string and yank it back through your path with both ethernet cables.
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, that is not an option, as I ran the cables before the spray foam insulation was done so the wires are foamed in lol

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that sucks..

ok this is going to be way more hacky, dont know if you'd be comfortable with this kind of stuff but I think this MIGHT work over a short run, hopefully your cameras are very power efficient.
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-EdgeRouter-Advanced-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00YFJT29C/

Thats a PoE Powered switch that has a PoE output, unfortunately it runs off Ubiquiti's 24VDC, not standard 48VDC PoE so its output is no good for your cameras.. but it'll give you 3/4 ethernet outputs and a 24v power source you can convert down to 12v with this:
http://www.amazon.com/Switcher-Support-Supply-Current-Adapter/dp/B01B3B1AFI/

and then use that 12v adapter to directly power your cameras.. all through one powered ethernet uplink, whew... wont be cheap, so get a quote on pulling another cable.. you might be surprised... With the EdgeRouter you'll be left with an unused network port at this location and a 12v power supply, so it might be useful for something.

So Basically.. 24v Ubiquiti Poe over your existing line to the EdgeRouterX, then a hacked cable hooked to the PoE output port jacked into that 12v power converter, then split and ran to 12v plugs for your cameras.. then without PoE you hook your cameras into the non powered ports on the EdgeRouter

No guarantees or promises, Ive never tired this kind of setup before.. just theorizing here.. if Ubiquiti used fucking standard PoE this would be easy, but noooo.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Chaddy5552You can actually do as you want. The cameras are only 10/100. Only two pair are used for the connection if you are using a standard poe switch (not passive poe). However its not ideal.
Here is another option http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/networked-video-integration-devices/camswitch-plus.aspx
or much cheaper http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-GS105PE-Pass-through-GS105PE-10000S/dp/B00J8NAWZ8
Also you dont state whether there is a local power source at the end if the cable, if so simply use a second poe switch.

SSNapier

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That Veracity switch is a great one, I have used it a few times. Not exactly cheap, but nothing good ever is.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like you can get the netgear switch USED for $26.60. Hard to beat that. As long as both cameras are efficient you can probably power the switch and cameras with normal PoE, otherwise you will want PoE+ for the higher amperage.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yet another alternative, assuming you are using standard PoE which can send power and data down the same wires...

INTELLINET 2-Port Modular Distributor (504195): http://amzn.com/B000Q3HIS8

You would need two of those (one for each end of the existing cable).

You would also need two couplers to connect the existing cable to the "distributors": http://amzn.com/B000BSLW8U

And of course you would want a few short (e.g. 1 foot) network cables to go from your PoE switch to the "distributor".

Keep in mind this is also kind of a hacky solution, and I do not know the implications of sending two data streams and two PoE streams down the same cable. With all 8 wires moving power, maybe the cable would overheat (my instincts tell me there would be less heat though, sending the same power with 8 wires instead of 4 wires). Maybe performance could be degraded due to interference between the two circuits. Not to mention all the loss from the many physical connectors. Still, it might be an easier solution if one end is outdoors and relatively exposed to the elements, since the parts are small enough to be wrapped in coax-seal tape. If you use another method involving a switch outdoors, you probably need to put it in a waterproof enclosure.

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cannot you just feed a new bog standard poe switch and take 2 from that? Power socked needed obviously.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What advantage does that switch have over this one? http://amzn.com/B003CFATT2

I have to question the design of any 802.3af PoE switch that has physical on/off switches for the PoE on each port.
They both look good, I would prefer to turn off POE if not needed.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, you can split an ethernet cable, as long as it's 10/100mb, but not gigabit, as that uses all 4 pairs.

10/100mb uses wire pairs 1/2 and 3/6. and most POE switches use the same wires for power (Mode A.)
Even if you are using the other pairs for power, it'll work as long as it's either both modeA or both ModeB.
(except that each cam gets the power from the other cam's feed.)

I have used a couple of splitters like these and they work fine for two cams in the same location, both POE:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121878900894
I chose these because the seller clearly indicates the use case in a diagram:
s-l1600.jpg

be careful as some some splitter/combiners just connect all 8 wires together and are designed
to operate only one device at a time (not simultaneously.)

and of course, you'll need 4 more patch cables of the appropriate length to hook it all up.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks guys for proving me wrong lol, its been over a decade now since I have even used any 100BASE-TX network gear and I entirely forgot that it only used 2 pairs.. im so fucking old now I am probably forgetting more than I am learning anymore hah.