square/rectangle building camera position for coverage

corkhead

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post - actually licensed cabler and getting into CCTV - run blue iris at home but have done a couple small NVR HIK jobs. Got one coming up and want other peoples advice on camera locations.

Going to be a 16 channel NVR but they will start off with just 4 cameras and add over time.

it is a 30m x 15m rectangle building smooth walls with trees etc nearby but not right up to building. They have asked to just worry about front and back for first stage (the two 30m sides)

Now with these IR cameras having in corners looking in you get IR glare at night. what would people choose and lens type with four cameras - at this stage i am thinking 2 x 2.8mm cameras in the middle looking out so that they cross in the middle.

hope this makes sense. love to hear some feedback.

btw - future expansion for 16 is internal and also outbuilding with ubiquiti gear (of which i also install).

cheers

HJ

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post - actually licensed cabler and getting into CCTV - run blue iris at home but have done a couple small NVR HIK jobs. Got one coming up and want other peoples advice on camera locations.

Going to be a 16 channel NVR but they will start off with just 4 cameras and add over time.

it is a 30m x 15m rectangle building smooth walls with trees etc nearby but not right up to building. They have asked to just worry about front and back for first stage (the two 30m sides)

Now with these IR cameras having in corners looking in you get IR glare at night. what would people choose and lens type with four cameras - at this stage i am thinking 2 x 2.8mm cameras in the middle looking out so that they cross in the middle.

btw - future expansion for 16 is internal and also outbuilding with ubiquiti gear (of which i also install).

cheers

HJ
Be sure to study this: Cliff Notes

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

cheers

HJ
Welcome @corkhead

See the DORI section of the cliff notes.

Determine what you functionally need.

Day time imaging? Low Light imaging?
Bird watching? Potential ID a suspect? Just keeping an eye if the parking lot is full???

Once you determine your functional requirements you can then have an easier time to determine how you're going to balance your budget / needs / wants / and desires.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd move those cameras to the corners pointing back at each other. You can easily get the sides of the building out of frame that way as well, no IR bounce. Alternately, shut the IR off in the cameras and use external IR illuminators. Lens size is critical, Either use the IPVM camera calculator or start out with varifocal cameras. As SouthernYankee always says, test don't guess!