SSD drive vs conventional hard drive

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You’re saying a cheap HDD can handle constant writing better than the D3? I don’t agree with that. That drive is made for mixed Enterprise workloads in a 24x7 environment.
Yes,It’s all do with cache, I have one so can confirm with always on recording (which is NOT mixed workloads) and a few cams the cache exhausts quickly. In the enterprise these drives sit behind massive cache modules and then in large raid arrays. Since Chia you pay through the nose for enterprise ssd’s so no sane person would purchase a few to put in raid for cctv recording when a cheap hdd does the job better and cheaper.
To be clear the SSD will cope but not as well.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s all do with cache, I have one so can confirm with always on recording and a few cams the cache exhausts quickly. In the enterprise these drives sit behind massive cache modules, or in large raid arrays. Since Chia you pay through the nose for enterprise ssd’s so no sane person would purchase a few to put in raid for cctv recording when a cheap hdd does the job better and cheaper.
To be clear the SSD will cope but not as well.
I’d argue that writing a few/dozen megabytes a second to a drive like that is underutilizing it. It’s designed to take a whole hell of a lot more abuse than that. It’s fast SLC cache doesn’t even come into play for steady continuous writes. It designed to handle bursty high writes which is not what a CCTV system delivers.

Its not cost advantageous to use a SSD anyway. Give me a mechanical any day for the storage of footage.

kedens

n3wb
Reaction score
As suggested in the link provided by @Ssayer above , use a surveillance-rated HDD for video surveillance clips (such as a WD Purple), as they are optimized and designed for constant writes.

Put Windows, the BI program and the BI db (datebase) folder on the SSD.
Any pro's/con's for running a WD purple in an external USB chassis?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us have found real world that the USB cannot keep up. I tried it with USB 3.0 and it didn't last 20 minutes before it couldn't keep up with the constant data feed going to it.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Nobody serious with an eye toward long term use and reliability would go this route. This just adds another piece of hardware that can fail in the chain.

A standard USB drive will require a power supply and controller that needs to connect to a USB port and then be managed by the OS.

While a HD connected directly to motherboards SATA port and computer PSU removes the above. Even if you opted to add a PCI card to the main system (preferred) it would be more reliable and faster than an external USB drive.

If you must go this route (External USB) insure all of the power saving / standby properties have been set accordingly in the OS for that port.

Reaction score
One of the obligatory steps of assembling a PC is selecting a drive. Here comes the choice between a hard drive and an SSD. HDD or SSD: which type is better? It is impossible to give a definite answer because both drives are designed for different tasks and will suit different usage scenarios. It may seem more profitable to buy a hard drive, but this is not quite true.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't think of a single situation where the hard drive is better than an SSD for the OS and applications. For some data storage uses, like video storage, the hard drive is considered by forum consensus to be the better choice, meaning 2 drives: SSD for the OS and BI program, and hard drive for the BI data.