SSD instead of HDD in a NVR?

polaris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anybody use a SSD instead of HDD in a NVR? Is it feasible for 24/7 recording? I heard that the issue with SSDs is/was that they have a limited lifespan in terms of data writes. Looking something for recording 4x 4MP cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is best practice is to simply but video on the HDD rated for surveillance cameras.

SSDs are not really designed for the continuous writing on. Sure people have used enterprise ones and can get many years out of it, but if you use cheap consumer grade, you will kill the SSD in a year or less like this person has twice:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anybody use a SSD instead of HDD in a NVR? Is it feasible for 24/7 recording? I heard that the issue with SSDs is/was that they have a limited lifespan in terms of data writes. Looking something for recording 4x 4MP cameras.
NVR's are designed to use HDD drives and I'm not certain the firmware would even support using SSD drives or have a way to physically mount them inside the chassis. SSD drives in general have become more reliable and many laptops and mini-PC's use them these days because they're physically compact and use less power.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
NVR's are designed to use HDD drives and I'm not certain the firmware would even support using SSD drives or have a way to physically mount them inside the chassis. SSD drives in general have become more reliable and many laptops and mini-PC's use them these days because they're physically compact and use less power.
SSD's have been more reliable that spinning disks for at least 10 years years with respect to general computer use. The reason they are used is because they are orders of magnitude faster and it would be criminal to have the OS of a PC on anything but an SSD. The lower power consumption and the fact that they are not affected by being dropped or moved around is an added bonus on laptops.
You could easily mount an SSD in an NVR with a 2.5 to 3.5 mounting adapter if the NVR does not already natively support a 2.5 drive. The real question is whether there will be any noticeable speed benefit when playing back video..I have no idea...The ssd will certainly be quiet...the newer drives have longer TBW ratings and can last many years depending on the amount of data written daily...
For example a crucial 4tb mx 500 is rated at 1000tbw. If you write 4tb a month thats 20 years. Even if your overwrite the drive once a week thats 5 years.
There are other drives rated even higher...this is a cheap 165 dollar SSD..
Samsungs 870evo 4tb at $225 is rated at 2400tbw, more than double the above mentioned numbers..

Last edited: