SSD M.2 and 16 GB OPTANE MEMORY

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I recently purchased an HP computer from EBay, Pavilion Desktop 590-p0033w. I have a 250 GB M.2 SSD I was going to install but it appears the optane memory is installed in the only M.2 slot available. Should I, can I, remove the optane memory and install the M.2 SSD or just buy a new SSD? Thanks TY

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently purchased an HP computer from EBay, Pavilion Desktop 590-p0033w. I have a 250 GB M.2 SSD I was going to install but it appears the optane memory is installed in the only M.2 slot available. Should I, can I, remove the optane memory and install the M.2 SSD or just buy a new SSD? Thanks TY
Remove the optane

Reaction score
before you go and do that confirm whether you have M.2 NVME drive or M.2 SATA drive and which type the port on the board is. I want to say Optane is usually NVME.

M.2 is just the form factor it does not guarantee your drive and socket are the same type. Check "keying" about halfway down M.2 - Wikipedia and check your motherboard manual to see what you have on it.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, ditch the Optane. I just bough a new Dell XPS and it came with 16 GB of Optane and a 1 TB spinning drive. Before even powering it up once, I removed both and installed an NVME SSD and a 1 TB SATA SSD. The NVME drive benchmarks at 3500 MB/sec read and 2500 write, well past SATA's 500/500 which is already way faster than any spinning disk.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice fenderman. crw030 I went to a website that matched my system to compatible upgrades. I purchased extra memory and I already had the SSD M.2 from another computer at match d.

Mr_D you removd the optane and the drive and we’re still able to install a working operating system? How did you accomplish this? Did your new SSD or drive have an operating system installed on them?

Thanks TY

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice fenderman. crw030 I went to a website that matched my system to compatible upgrades. I purchased extra memory and I already had the SSD M.2 from another computer at match d.

Mr_D you removd the optane and the drive and we’re still able to install a working operating system? How did you accomplish this? Did your new SSD or drive have an operating system installed on them?

Thanks TY
you simply need an empty usb drive and install the MS media creation tool - you dont need any license key, its stored by microsoft based on your pc components. I cannot stress this enough ALWAYS do a clean install of windows.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Giomania I did what fenderman suggested suggested and downloaded the MS media tool on a usb drive. My computer shows Windows NT installed. I’m following some suggestions found in a google search saying, now that I have the usb MS tool, to remove my hard drive and then install windows to the new SSD. The MS tool was a windows 10 download not sure what version it will be. I’ll check out your posting. The MS tool took over an hour to down load and verify so I really dont want to do that again. Thanks TY

Edit Add

I do have an old hard with window pro installed would that allow for windows pro to be installed on this new computer?

Last edited:

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Giomania I did what fenderman suggested suggested and downloaded the MS media tool on a usb drive. My computer shows Windows NT installed. I’m following some suggestions found in a google search saying, now that I have the usb MS tool, to remove my hard drive and then install windows to the new SSD. The MS tool was a windows 10 download not sure what version it will be. I’ll check out your posting. The MS tool took over an hour to down load and verify so I really dont want to do that again. Thanks TY

Edit Add

I do have an old hard with window pro installed would that allow for windows pro to be installed on this new computer?
The media creation tool has the standard and pro versions of windows 10, if I recall correctly

Your hard drive with windows 10 on it won’t validate the license key when installed in that computer, most likely.

Since you have Windows NT I would do some research before proceeding to make sure you understand your options with various windows options.

Maybe Windows NT would work I’m not sure I would defer to @fenderman on that question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Edit Add

You most likely have windows 10 home installed. NT includes all the versions of windows and is not used as a describer anymore.
search activation to see the version of windows activated on that machine.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help I was able to install the SSD M.2 and operating system without incident, except for that dam small screw for the M.2. I loaded BI also without incident. Time to setup cameras.

If I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro do I just buy the key code and follow the directions in MS creation tool?

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Giomania but I dont have key code. This machine came with windows 10 home addition. Looks simple to do but I’ll have to buy a code first. Dont really know if it’s necessary though.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Giomania but I dont have key code. This machine came with windows 10 home addition. Looks simple to do but I’ll have to buy a code first. Dont really know if it’s necessary though.
Other than having more control over automatic Windows updates, there's really no benefit of Pro over Home for a BI computer.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Other than having more control over automatic Windows updates, there's really no benefit of Pro over Home for a BI computer.
Remote access is useful; I use the remote access feature all the time, as the BI PC is basically “headless”.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Giomania are you saying I won’t be able to connect remotely with windows 10 home addition?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Giomania are you saying I won’t be able to connect remotely with windows 10 home addition?
For the remote desktop windows client you need pro or enterprise versions of windows 10.

However, if you use Chrome they have a free remote desktop client but I have never tried it. if you’re thinking to go that route I would do your research to make sure it would work for blue Iris.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Back to the SSD vs. OPTANE

I purchased two identical HP computers, i3-8100. In one I removed the optane and installed an SSD. The other remained as is. I tested both for speed and from a restart it took both machine 26 seconds to get to the sign in screen. It appears the speed is pretty much identical. Not to say its probably still better to have an SSD but for other reasons than speed.