Standalone Java app for dedicated live view with Instant Replay

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Skipping / unusually low frame rate indicates either a lack of bandwidth or a lack of CPU power on either the BI machine or the one running the viewer. CPU doesn't seem to be the problem based on what you've told me before. Are you perhaps using WiFi on the BI server or any of the machines running my java app? Though I would only expect WiFi to result in poor performance, not crashes.

Maybe you should update the drivers for your network adapter and graphics card.

timmmay

n3wb
Reaction score
no i'm not using any wi-fi. all cameras are connected to gigabit switches. i updated the lan card on both server and desktop. i also updated my router's (asus rt-N16) firmware, but nothing helped.

i also tried the viewer again on my laptop (wired) and i was wrong to think that it worked yesterday because this time, the viewer eventually crashed also. so, at this point, i think it's time to try another alternative... the non-java app you made:D. good thing you made 2 apps bp2008... really nice of you. i'll ask the question on that thread. thanks for your help on this one.

Meir MaSe Miyara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, can you please consider adding the option for PROXY.
i cannot use this program when i am behind a proxy server (at work for an example).
That will be greatly appreciated.
thank you.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I will not add explicit http proxy support, because it is not needed. According to a brief bit of googling, you can tell the java environment to use a proxy server by passing some command line arguments.

I do not have a proxy server, so I cannot test this, but I think this is the command you need to use. Modify the host and port options of course, to point at your proxy server.

Code:
java  -Dhttp.proxyHost=10.10.10.10  -Dhttp.proxyPort=80 -jar BlueIrisViewer.jar
Assuming you are on Windows, with Java properly installed, you can just put this into a batch file (*.bat) and drop it in the same directory as BlueIrisViewer.jar. Then run the batch file. I have attached a copy of the batch file for your convenience, in case your system has file extensions hidden it can be painful to create one yourself.

The batch file is zipped, to work around file type restrictions for forum attachments.

View attachment RunWithProxy.zip

Important: If you are connecting from work then you should go to options ('o' key), performance, and change the value in the dropdown box to High Efficiency. Even with this set, you are likely to use a large amount of bandwidth, so if your office has limited bandwidth they may not appreciate you viewing your cameras in this manner :)

Last edited:

LightsOn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for this great work. I have recently had to install another server - is there any way to add functionality to allow for the program to have x2 servers and thus choose cameras from each to display?

Thank you in advance.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, not easily do-able.

Chances are you would be better off running a second instance of the app on a different monitor anyway. If you decide to do this, you will want to make a second copy of the java app in a different folder so that they can each maintain their own settings files and instant replay caches.

LightsOn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @bp2008, okay no problem thank you. I have simply run anouther instance. Is there any way to change the window name so I can have autoit script handle sizing and position. I currently do this but with the windows having the same name I am unable to tell which window is which as have same window data for both.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no built-in functionality to change the window name. I always just run it in borderless mode, filling a screen.

Out of curiosity, why do you need autoit to size and position the window? What is the goal?

LightsOn

n3wb
Reaction score
I use the window like a windows side bar gadget. I created a show desktop button that shows the desktop but also does other little things for me. The bits it does for the viewer is set its size and position and checks if has not crashed. If it has crashed or frozen (as a result of my PC not your work I should add), then it closes it and then reloads it and positions it again etc. Hence now with 2 windows I get stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have uploaded an update which adds what you need.

https://blueirisview.codeplex.com/

RELEASE NOTES

Added windowTitle setting to BIVSettings.cfg. This setting affects the title of the desktop window, and can only be modified by directly editing the settings file.
So run the new version once (then close it) and the new setting will appear at the bottom of the configuration file, where you can then change it easily.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I just uploaded a new version which has 3 major changes.

1. Lower CPU usage on Windows, due to the use of a faster jpeg decompression library. For some awfully technical reasons, this increases memory usage significantly, but chances are that is an acceptable trade so the new method is enabled by default. You can switch back in the options.

2. You can now choose to use the 'smarter' camera layout that Blue Iris introduced in BI 3.60.

3. Blue Iris 3.60 or later (4.x is fine) is now required.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is not possible as the program exists now. It would take much work to make it fully Android compatible, and since this program works with jpeg images it would not be efficient for the CPU and WiFi of the android device. You are better off loading BI's Android app, or just the BI web interface or UI2 from my custom pages.

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

First BIG LIKE for the Applet

But i have 2 different computer which dont work with the Applet.

It´s two Intel Atom PCs.

Java is Correct installed.

Applet Opens ony a few ms And close without any Notification

Thank You for Reply

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Look in the folder you run the jar from, for BlueIrisViewer_Errors.txt. It may contain logs that could help identify what is wrong.

Reaction score
The Second Capture
With Version 2.5 and New Java. Old Java Version is automatic removed

Thank You

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, here is something you can try:

1. Copy the jar to your desktop, and run it from there. (there are usually fewer write permission problems on the desktop)

2. If that doesn't work, hold shift and right click the desktop, and choose the menu option "Open command window here". Run the command:

Code:
java -jar BlueIrisViewer.jar
And maybe the command window will contain hints as to why it is crashing.