Starlight benefits?

robertsig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After owning a couple Hikvision cameras, I bought a couple Dahua IPC-HFW4231S "Starlight" cameras from Andy on this forum for my basement. It's usually dark at night, but during the day there is still a little light that comes in from the basement windows.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I fail to understand the benefits this brings over a run-of-the-mill Hikivision or anything else. When it gets dark enough, the IR comes on and everything goes black-and-white. Same as any other camera. Isn't the Starlight feature supposed to give better clarity or perhaps even stay in color during darker hours? I mean, if I just wanted an IR beam and B&W pic, I could use any camera for that.

What am I missing?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After owning a couple Hikvision cameras, I bought a couple Dahua IPC-HFW4231S "Starlight" cameras from Andy on this forum for my basement. It's usually dark at night, but during the day there is still a little light that comes in from the basement windows.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I fail to understand the benefits this brings over a run-of-the-mill Hikivision or anything else. When it gets dark enough, the IR comes on and everything goes black-and-white. Same as any other camera. Isn't the Starlight feature supposed to give better clarity or perhaps even stay in color during darker hours? I mean, if I just wanted an IR beam and B&W pic, I could use any camera for that.

What am I missing?
The image will be much clearer with much less noise and with enough light you can run it in day mode at night...indoors the difference is a bit less noticeable because the ir in the bad cameras reflects off walls and other surfaces.... just look at the comparison videos and images posted online..if you cant see the difference then a visit to the ophthalmologist is in order.