Starting my learning curve... at least I have a Little head start

v4m

n3wb
Reaction score
Spent a few decades in IT so I understand the IP aspect pretty well (house is wired with Ubiquiti router, switch, couple PoE WAPs, no stranger to pulling cable), and have dabbled in photography off and on over the years means I have at least a passing understanding of focal distances, iso/lighting needs, etc...

What I get to learn now is what's actually needed... and before that, I get to identify what I WANT out of a system. That... I don't know and could use your reasoning for why you have your systems (and opinions on mine?). So, I'm off in the country on a couple acres. Neighboring properties are ~30 and ~60 acres and there's no foot traffic (or much vehicle traffic) to speak of. I don't really have any issues or perceived need for video... yet, I feel the desire. Outside of a couple older cars, all outward appearance is that of a old rural homestead ~ there's nothing flashy or new to be seen... well, a 30x50 garage is going up in the next month or so as a place to house those 2 classic cars (and do other hobbies).

cameras.png

Above is my property, driveways to the other properties right where I cut off the drawing on top and bottom (top side is the property mine was cut from, belowings to my in-laws), and trees/fence around the perimeter. Thinking I mostly want to see who drives in and out so one on the back lower corner of the house pointed towards the road. Maybe one for the back door (front is blocked from view from the drive by a large magnolia tree and is 100% unused), so same corner but pointed at the stairs/sidewalk. Then one more on the left corner of the detached shop building (man door on that same left corner) to both identify people as they come to that door and detect/observe vehicles that approach the building. Trying to decide if I add motion lights next to the cameras so they're always lit well (again, rural, no street lights and we already rely on motion lighting when returning home in the dark). Also considering a camera in the shop building for the vehicles since they represent the most valuable movable items we own. Nothing inside is worth anything from a monitary point, just treasured by us for the experiences/travels they represent.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Security cameras that run video can be setup to only take static images. But it sort of sounds like you want actual digital cameras for image capturing? I have never heard of that type of setup. If such a thing exists I am sure the images are impressive. I run security cameras on my property and if I need a still shot, I just harvest the video.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As with a lot of things, initial expectations will change over time. My assessment of your plan is too few cameras are anticipated. I'll admit to being in the "all or nothing" school of thought, but a pair of cameras on each side of the house plus additional cameras for the entrance doors. For the detached garage, don't rely on WiFi, use either a dedicated encrypted RF link or bury a fiber cable between the house and the garage. Again, if you value what's in the garage, a pair of cameras on each side plus maybe another pair on the inside.

They all don't need to be installed at once and can be spread over some period of time.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ll be installing a camera this week based on a security “intrusion“ that happened 2 weeks ago. Like you, our property is fairly rural, and I have two detached garage/shops on the property, plus a small barn that houses farm machinery. I started out years ago with just one camera watching the north detached garage which was my shop at the time. When I built my new shop, I planned to add a camera there as well, but during construction a couple attempted to break into it while I was working in it! That inspired the location of two cameras on that building, located where I would have captured their vehicles’s license plate, and covering the rear window where they likely would have forced entry if they hadn’t seen me inside. The camera that is going in this week will be on the same building, but aimed down the access road to our agricultural area. That’s because I spotted an unknown woman walking down that road. An existing camera showed she didn’t get far before retreating, but the path she took kept her too far from what I had considered sensitive areas to get ID quality video. The new camera will be dedicated to getting that type of video of anyone else who trespasses there. (In 40 years here, she is only the 3rd uninvited person we know to have been there.)

What I’m suggesting is to build your system with the capability to easily add cameras based on newly discovered vulnerabilities that you won‘t discover until you start reviewing footage. Also remember that watching “who drives in and out” means more than one camera, because a camera that captures a vehicle well may not capture its license plate adequately.

v4m

n3wb
Reaction score
But it sort of sounds like you want actual digital cameras for image capturing?
something got lost in translation... not looking for Static images, just normal use (24/7 low res with triggered high res capture)

As with a lot of things, initial expectations will change over time. My assessment of your plan is too few cameras are anticipated. I'll admit to being in the "all or nothing" school of thought, but a pair of cameras on each side of the house plus additional cameras for the entrance doors. For the detached garage, don't rely on WiFi, use either a dedicated encrypted RF link or bury a fiber cable between the house and the garage. Again, if you value what's in the garage, a pair of cameras on each side plus maybe another pair on the inside.

They all don't need to be installed at once and can be spread over some period of time.
Yup, running a hard line between buildings. wifi is fine for casual use but not mission critical stuff. Heck, I've never bought a Roku that didn't have LAN connection. Wifi is good for phones/tablets/casual laptop use, but anything I rely on is hardwired.

And I'm working from the "nothing" side of your all or nothing point. Trying to decide if I want to go down this path. I'm sorta test-driving with some old cell phones and ispy/agent for NVR right now. Good enough for detect and observe (FedEx/UPS deliveries), but not much else. I wouldn't be here without reason though, and that's because my brother-in-law, who was working from a shop on his parents property (so using the driveway I cut from the top of the image) decided he wanted to threaten my life. Hothead who's nothing but hot air 99% of the time, but it's caused this to be considered. He's been told to move his "business", so this is really pretty temporary, but it's still the main reason I'm exploring this. I mean, I don't even run dashcams on vehicles which would be a much more likely needful usecase.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Based on your use case of a possible alteration I would go with numerous spotter cams and several PTZ cams. You don't mention budget, but with a road map with a possible confrontation on it, it might warrant a robust investment.

Audio is illegal in many states so you would have to research local laws. However, verbal threats can be just as useful as video in a court of law

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yup, running a hard line between buildings. wifi is fine for casual use but not mission critical stuff.
Does your area have considerable or severe lightning? If so I would not install metallic cable between the house and the garage. Instead I suggest you consider, as mentioned earlier by @sebastiantombs , using fiber with media converters or, if you have decent LOS (Line Of Sight), a Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent Bridge, such as below:

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

v4m

n3wb
Reaction score
My state is a single party audio recording state (me being the single party), so no issues there. Not that fixed cameras would have helped as the confrontation was 100' or more from the closest building. I don't honestly see it being much of an issues, the guy's a hothead and mouthy, but not really one to make action. It's also a temporary situation now, he's moving his hordes of junk somewhere else.

I have been going through the Cliff Notes (and other stickies), trying to work on the learning curve a little. Talking with the wife last night, she's set on having video where I was still trying to decide if it was something to do. So I'm about to dig in a bit more. As for monitored alarm, lol.... there are 5 total sheriff deputies in my county, only 2~3 on duty at any given time and I'm off on an extreme edge. Best case, if they were close, 10 minute response time. Average would be in the 20 minute range and worst would be upwards of 40 minutes... IF there were no other calls. Alarms aren't worth the cost when all they provide is a faster call to clean up after the fact. I seem to remember a show on Discovery from awhile back, "To Catch a a Thief" where they broke into homes to point out weaknesses and they were Always in and out in 10 minutes or less. Not saying theft can't happen, or won't, just that a monthly bill for monitored alarm doesn't change that it happens.

Meat and potatoes of linking to 2 structures is what I've been thinking about most. I left IT in 2009, fiber was around but Nearly as prevalent as it is now. We do have a fair bit of storms with electrical activity through the summer, the occasional tornado but generally it's not what I'd consider considerable or severe storm activity. Initial plan, before IPcams, was a direct burial copper (cat6, e, 7 ~ whatever seemed best). Now thinking about non-metallic conduit and a fiber connection, but having to learn about this as it's new to me. I'd need a switch on either end anyway, so a media converter may not be the best solution. All part of the learning curve....

But thanks for the thoughts folks. I'm digesting it all and working through the rough ideas first.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now thinking about non-metallic conduit and a fiber connection, but having to learn about this as it's new to me. I'd need a switch on either end anyway, so a media converter may not be the best solution.
Not sure why you'd feel that a fiber-to-Ethernet converter AND a switch "may not be the best solution" but certainly it's your money, your project.

IMO, the benefits of fiber over metallic are tenfold, as long as the right fiber with the right jacket and proper installation techniques for fiber are observed.
The jacket for the fiber should be rated for flooded burial as ALL below ground conduits eventually have water in them.

And from personal experience, I do not classify a properly-chosen, installed and configured Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent wireless bridge as "Wi-Fi". It can fill a valuable niche when expense, distance or time frame constraints have to be factored in. A link can be put in generally in much less than a day.

Reaction score
When I first started with cameras, I too thought it would be nice to see what's out there when I'm not looking. Also always thought I would find out 8-12 hours later after reviewing video clips. Well, at that changed overnight.
I do not see it spoken too often, but the combination of alarm systems (outdoor PIR's and door/windows alarms) + camera AI is a really powerful tool for right-now-live alerts when at home and when away after some configuration and setup.
I have 3 outdoor PIR's connected to my alarm system. I have multiple cameras around my house with internal AI and the use of Blue Iris motion detection/IVS alerts. Both systems connect to my home automation which in turn fire up my smart tv's showing my outdoor cameras in question or on a grid. So that yes...I can actually see "real time" what's going on out there and also when out and about on my smartphone.
When a human (or a cat with a real long shadow) enters onto my property, one way or another....I know within 5 seconds from my smart tv's and on my smartphone. I then decide what action to take.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ditto on smart home (HomeSeer) and BI for me also. I have sensors on my fence gates so I always know when they are being opened (which also triggers the cameras).
Have another sensor/alarm on our jewelry drawer just in case our house cleaners get 'curious'

PIR sensors on the front back decks in tandem with the cameras. Meaning either can cause an alert and the PIR's also trigger the cameras.

Every external camera has a second camera focused on it.

When we are out of town or just watching TV I know if someone even looks cross-eyed at our property. Best part is, with AI and the PIR's, my false alert frequency is very low.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m not sure why anyone in IT would have to be sold (convinced) on investing the proper amount of finances on the network infrastructure?!?

It’s literally the back bone of the entire network . . .

Everything else is built upon it and ultimately determines the long term cost and reliability of the same!

As others noted running a hardline in conduit makes sense to connect two or more building structures. Running the properly rated shielded cable that is properly grounded throughout the network infrastructure to the homes single point earth ground will provide decades of use.

Given 120 VAC power is going to be present on each end it also makes sense to run fibre. Doing so limits the possibility of induced EMF / RFI / EMI.

It makes little sense in using a separate media converter when almost every new POE switch offers the same from SFP / SFP+ when starting new.

If there’s an existing network that doesn’t have fibre that of course is a legitimate reason to purchase the same.

As others noted sometimes going with a PtP / PtmP RF Bridge just makes a lot more sense.

• No digging / trenching
  • No water / lightning issues
  • No permits, code, rules etc
  • Easily spans miles based on LOS
  • Scales easily to connect to other sites

v4m

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure why you'd feel that a fiber-to-Ethernet converter AND a switch "may not be the best solution" but certainly it's your money, your project.
I think something got lost in communication. I'm saying I'll buy a switch with SFP (or SFP+) port for an all-in-one option rather than a switch and a media converter as 2 separate units and then patch cable between them.

As for the wireless bridge, my experiences with them in the past were not very good until you hit a minimum investment threshold WELL above my yearly income. Maybe they've improved, but I'd rather a physical link, and was already planning on it between the house and garage/shop.

Thanks for the other layout thoughts. Those are way, WAY, beyond anything I'd ever want, but they're good to know. I'm already annoyed at the alerts from a 1-camera setup and would probably call it quits and go without if my wife were on the same page. She's not, so ahead I go... almost certainly going to be an Exceptionally minimal setup unless/until there's reason otherwise. Going to have a month to think about it though as I'm leaving for a computer/internet/cellphone free vacation soon.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think something got lost in communication. I'm saying I'll buy a switch with SFP (or SFP+) port for an all-in-one option rather than a switch and a media converter as 2 separate units and then patch cable between them.
Of course.....by "fiber with media converters" I was speaking in generic terms where one media (fiber) is transitioned to another media (Ethernet).
Even "after a few decades in IT" I figured that since you "left IT in 2009" there may be something new to you after 13 years...I guess not. :cool:
As for the wireless bridge, my experiences with them in the past were not very good until you hit a minimum investment threshold WELL above my yearly income. Maybe they've improved......
They have.....a LOT.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
These two camera's streams are being sent over the Ubiquiti Nano Stations. It is literally like wireless cat5. It has never gone offline in almost 2 years of 24hr operation. and it has one tree that partially obscures pure line of sight. Hell it even kept working when the telephone pole cracked. leaned forward and turned 40 degrees off of a straightline. it recorded both cameras all weekend all screwed up!. the radio signal travels about 350 feet between devices.

the Screenshot 2021-09-20 212111.pngScreenshot 2021-09-23 193102_5442_6mmLP.pngScreenshot 2021-11-10 215244.pngScreenshot 2021-11-10 215349.png