Starting my new system. What is acceptable lag??

Sierra8033

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been reading and reading on here. I would have to say that this is the best resource on the Internet for DIY camera info
I had a friend give me a hikvusion DS-2CD2732F dome camera and I just purchased a TP-Link SF1008P switch. I went for the cheaper 100m since I read that there was not a need for the 1 gig switch with ip cameras. I intend on getting 3 more cameras for 4 total and I will get a Surveillance Station NVR set up. But for the time being I have just hooked everything up last night to my home PC (i5 with 6 gig ram)using Hikvision software (I intend on buying Blue Iris or Surveillance Station for the sinology. My first concern is my lag. I have about a 3-4 second lag. My Poe switch is 4 feet from my PC and the camera is also 4 feet away.
All settings are default on the hikvision software and the camera itself
Is this 3 second lag normal??
What would be the cause? 100m switch? Hikvision software? PC ??

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been reading and reading on here. I would have to say that this is the best resource on the Internet for DIY camera info
I had a friend give me a hikvusion DS-2CD2732F dome camera and I just purchased a TP-Link SF1008P switch. I went for the cheaper 100m since I read that there was not a need for the 1 gig switch with ip cameras. I intend on getting 3 more cameras for 4 total and I will get a Surveillance Station NVR set up. But for the time being I have just hooked everything up last night to my home PC (i5 with 6 gig ram)using Hikvision software (I intend on buying Blue Iris or Surveillance Station for the sinology. My first concern is my lag. I have about a 3-4 second lag. My Poe switch is 4 feet from my PC and the camera is also 4 feet away.
All settings are default on the hikvision software and the camera itself
Your on par I would guess. Mine runs around 2 seconds when viewing through the network/browser

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My guess - and it is just a guess - assuming you are not trying to do motion detection within Synology SS as opposed to using what the cameras are better able to do -
When the camera is processing the video analytics, motion detection, line crossing detection, intrusion detection, to be able to handle the 'dwell time' that's part of the configuration settings, the DSP has to have a reasonable size of buffer in use to do the changes comparison in the analytics.
And also there is the 'event pre-record' time that will also need a video buffer, to be provided to the recording device.
So if the stream being provided by the camera for viewing is from the output of these buffers as opposed to a copy of what's being put in - there is always going to be a delay from the live scene.

Sierra8033

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the information. At least I'm headed in the right direction. I'll keep you posted thank you.

Mocard

n3wb
Reaction score
The lower frame rate and resolution the lower the lag I get on my system. I run Blue Iris.. but even if I'm running IP Cam Viewer directly from my POE switch to my spare laptop with static IP's and no DHCP I get about 1/4 lag at 1.3mp