STEP By STEP Mount and Download Files

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to Telnet into my camera and copy a file to my windows PC or Synology NAS so I can edit the mtd files for the 5.2.5 firmware. I did this a while ago with a davinci file but I don't remember how I copied the files and I have searched and read through many many threads and there is no clear sticky or thread on how to connect and transfer. I would like to create this thread so someone with extensive knowledge can give us newbies a step by step guide on how to do it.

So far I have downloaded Putty and I connected to the camera using telnet and did the following:

cd /mnt/nfs00

cat /dev/mtdblock5 > temp5
cat /dev/mtdblock6 > temp6

However I cannot locate the copied files on my system. Am I missing a step? Should I be mounting my Synology NAS to copy the files to the NAS? or will they be located on my windows computer somewhere?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you set up your share folder on your PC?
Have you setup your camera to access your shared folder on your PC?

Then the rest looks good to go.
I wrote a guide on this, it's in the sticky section.

Reaction score
Have you set up your share folder on your PC?
Have you setup your camera to access your shared folder on your PC?

Then the rest looks good to go.
I wrote a guide on this, it's in the sticky section.
I have not set a shared folder on my PC and I do not know how to setup the camera to access my PC. I cannot find the steps in the sticky. I did read the 5.2.5 guide you wrote about editing the files. I cannot copy the files over to edit them though.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Their is a video on you tube by arden for the 5.2.0 is shows the basic's of setting up the share folder on PC and Camera.
If you follow that, then using Telnet go back to where you were originally you will be able to transfer your files.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
cd /mnt/nfs00
If that did not give an error - you have already copied the files to the share that is mounted at 'mnt/nfs00', ie the one that's defined in your camera 'Storage' menu.
If you look at that shared folder on the device that's sharing it - presumably a PC or a NAS - you will see the files that you copied.
Provided that you did not see any errors when you executed the commands you have quoted.