Stepping from analog into IP cam world

Janastas

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys.

I've opted for the dahua 2MP varifocal starlight and an 8ch dahua nvr to get the ball rolling to upgrade to IP and NVR.

I'll see how I go installing the NVR and one camera and if all goes well I'll upgrade the rest of the cameras as time permits.

Janastas

n3wb
Reaction score
The gear arrived on Sunday lunchtime! Yes DHL delivers on Sunday's in Australia....

Ordered the NVR5208-8P-4KS2 and one IPC-HDW5231R from Andy.

Haven't bought a hard drive as yet but plugged up the camera and NVR on my desk at home and after a bit of fiddling and then using smart pss got the camera up and running, managed to zoom in and out with no issues.

Also managed to set up ddns to view the camera remotely from my phone.

Will get into the roof next week to run some cabling for this camera and get it installed (Once I order a hard drive!)

Janastas

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Janastas,

If you want to have a good chance to ID possible suspects the cameras will need to be 6-8 feet high unless you can get the suspects to consistently look up at the cameras.

Here's a great example of getting lucky and having a suspect look directly at the camera!
Dahua minidome catches guy casing house
Thinking about this, in my situation I'd need to run the cat 6 through the second level roof space, then drop it between the brick wall and the plaster relative to the area i need the camera

Now if i wanted to pull the cable out at 6-8 ft from ground level I'd need to either
a) pull a brick out from the wall and hope to fish the cable through at the desired height
or
b) possibly find a powerpoint on the second level of the house near to where i'd like to have the camera mounted outside on the brick, get a long hammer drill bit and create a large enough hole in the brickusing the powerpoint cavity as a starting point to push the cat6 cable through the whole i've created.

For those of you that have a double storey brick house, what method would you recommend?

FrankMCN

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I normally fit the recorder in the loft, maybe connect a 1st floor TV or monitor and either run a data link cable to the router or use a pair of power line adaptors for the internet side of things.