Storage- Cascading CCTV Storage-not working?

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BlueIris4-Casading-Storage-Problem.jpg

Hi there,

Can someone give me some indication what I have done wrong with my configuration in BI.:(
I just could not get the the older files to move from 1 hard disk to the other.
I have attached a picture describing the problem.
I have also screen captured the configurations on the picture.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards.:)

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just guessing, but it appears that your settings for clip 'Limit Size' are so big (like 1,830 GB) you won't see movement until those limits are reached. Alternatively you could set a clip 'age limit' as below:

BI_clips.jpg

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
18-Mar-17 12-13-31 AM.jpg

@TonyR

Thank you for replying.:)

I think the Limit size is actually referring to the folder size of = "NEW" folder.

At this the moment it is set to = 1830GB, which is actually the usable space of my 2TB hard disk.

I assumed that once I have set the maximum disk space = 1830GB, BI will automatically transfer
out the video files to the folder = Stored, when the space in the folder is nearing 100% used up.

The reason that I did not enable Limit clip age, is because I want to to fill up the hard disk as
many files as it can before move it to the next folder = Stored.

But it looks like I need to enable Limit clip age for BI to start moving the old files out.

I referred back to the manual and double checked the information again.

I have set the limit clip age to 30days, and test again, whether it will work or not.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First ensure that you have not over allocated space. Blue iris status>clips storage. You would also see the available space on the bottom right as red.
Second, leave some free space on every drive.
Third, check your combine and cut settings, the files will likely not be moved until its cut.
Fourth, check the log, what error do you get?
Finally, a more efficient method than constantly writing and reading from all disks would be to assign groups of cameras to a each disk.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
View attachment 16298

@TonyR

Thank you for replying.:)

I think the Limit size is actually referring to the folder size of = "NEW" folder.

At this the moment it is set to = 1830GB, which is actually the usable space of my 2TB hard disk.

I assumed that once I have set the maximum disk space = 1830GB, BI will automatically transfer
out the video files to the folder = Stored, when the space in the folder is nearing 100% used up.

The reason that I did not enable Limit clip age, is because I want to to fill up the hard disk as
many files as it can before move it to the next folder = Stored.

But it looks like I need to enable Limit clip age for BI to start moving the old files out.

I referred back to the manual and double checked the information again.

I have set the limit clip age to 30days, and test again, whether it will work or not.
OK, having set limit clip age = XX days, did move the files, I saw an entry in the message list at BI STATUS. :)

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First ensure that you have not over allocated space. Blue iris status>clips storage. You would also see the available space on the bottom right as red.
Second, leave some free space on every drive.
Got it, never assign the exact amount of capacity as shown by Windows OS.

If windows OS is indicating that the usable capacity is 1.81TB (1810GB) you need to set the Limit size (that is the folder size of NEW, STORED, AUX1...AUX2...etc) = 1750GB in BI.:)

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Third, check your combine and cut settings, the files will likely not be moved until its cut.
I am not sure what this feature does? If you can elaborate more, that will be great.:)
I have read the manual regarding this feature, and got some understanding about it,
but I am not sure I am on the right track or not? Care to explain?
BlueIris4-Combine-or-cut-video-each.jpg

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally, a more efficient method than constantly writing and reading from all disks would be to assign groups of cameras to a each disk.
In what ways this is more efficient way of saving the video recording?

How does the arrangement looks like?

Let's say I have a C drive(SSD), D Hard disk, E Hard disk.

I have 8 cameras, 4 cameras can save the video recording at D dirve
and another 4 camera can save the video recording at E drive.
(Using Camera properties-> Record tab->Folder: New)

C:\BlueIris\db = database folder = normally will be placed at C drive and it is normally a SSD drive (recommended for faster transfer)

D:\BlueIris\New
D:\BlueIris\Stored
D:\BlueIris\Aux1

E:\BlueIris\New
E:\BlueIris\Stored
E:\BlueIris\Aux1

Is the above arrangement correct way of assigning a group of camera to save video recording at each disk?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Combine and cut is explained in the help file..as long as the file is open it wont move it.
You dont need to create a new and stored folder on each drive...
Simply record 4 cams to one folder on one drive and 4 cams to the other.
Its more efficient because there is less reading and writing. In your current setup every time there is a new write files are read and written to each disk.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You dont need to create a new and stored folder on each drive...
Simply record 4 cams to one folder on one drive and 4 cams to the other.
Sorry I did not understand this part, why you don't need to create a NEW and STORED folder on each drive?
How would you then assign BI to separating the video recording on each drive, drive D or E without creating separate sets of NEW and STORED folder?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I did not understand this part, why you don't need to create a NEW and STORED folder on each drive?
How would you then assign BI to separating the video recording on each drive, drive D or E without creating separate sets of NEW and STORED folder?
In each cameras record tab you can direct the location of the recording...