Strange Router Problems

mbeavers1

n3wb
Reaction score
I appear to have burned up two Linksys AC1900 routers in the last 18 hours after connecting my camera system. Both times the Internet has gone down, I lose control of my home automation system, and I no longer log into my router using IP. I can still see the connection lights and traffic on each Cat5 cable.

Here is my set up:

1. Linksys AC1900 router - the computer running BI, a Netgear Prosafe 16 ch switch (8 poe), and a cable that runs into my structured wiring box to provide Internet to the rest of the house are plugged in.

2. Netgear Prosafe JGS516PE - there are 3ea Hikvision DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 camera and 1ea DS2CD2142FWD-IS cameras plugged into the PoE ports.

Everything was running fine, all cameras were running in BI. Now nothing....

What could be zapping routers? Help please!

Here is the basic se

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do some oldstyle fault detection. Remove everything then add it one by one

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mbeavers1

n3wb
Reaction score
I kinda did that. Everything was existing except for the switch...which was just plugged in and started running yesterday afternoon. Everything before was fine.

mbeavers1

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a way to check line from switch to router for voltage?

mbeavers1

n3wb
Reaction score
I connected the switch (non PoE port) to the router with a xover cable. Could I have crossed a power line that sent voltage back to router? Maybe I only needed a straight thru cable...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I connected the switch (non PoE port) to the router with a xover cable. Could I have crossed a power line that sent voltage back to router? Maybe I only needed a straight thru cable...

Dont use a crossover cable.

Vault

n3wb
Reaction score

Oh you should have used a straight cable. The wiring brings the power cables on a different place with a crosscable.

mbeavers1

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh you should have used a straight cable. The wiring brings the power cables on a different place with a crosscable.
Yea....that's what I'm finding out. 2 routers and the ethernet port on computer....ouch! Did I mention I'm not good with electronics?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea....that's what I'm finding out. 2 routers and the ethernet port on computer....ouch! Did I mention I'm not good with electronics?

You will never have a need for a crossover cable...toss it in the trash.

Vault

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you've burned the router by using that xcable. You could try to connect a straight cable and hope all will be fine. If not, replace the router.
As fenderman has said, throw away the crosscable or at least put some danger labels on it.