Stranger Danger: Side-by-side captures of Ring/Arlo/Nest vs Better Cameras

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
This post is a combination of the Typical Ring/Arlo/Nest Captures thread and the Captures from Better Cameras thread.

It's not too often we have side-by-side images of the crappy, consumer grade cameras with the same subject as better cameras that have been installed with a purpose.

It started with this post from a parent in our neighborhood.
1687223102973.png

Her post lead to neighbors sharing these photos from their Ring and Nest doorbells.
354551167_10160824225559082_5629304619790178659_n.jpg 355025987_10111244039227258_3744059679921630554_n.jpg

While this was all firing up, I was trying to get an idea of time frame so I could review my footage.
I ended up sending these to my neighbor so she could forward them to the officer she spoke with.
Driveway 2023-06-19 10.10.25.985 AM.jpg
LPR North 2023-06-19 10.10.16.866 AM.jpg LPR South 2023-06-19 10.10.33.920 AM.jpg

I didn't send this one to her, but was tempted to post it on the FB page with the ones above to flex a little over the other, crappy images. I ended up not sharing them with everyone because I didn't want all of the questions or comments that come with people knowing the extent to which you are recording outside of your home.
Sidewalk 2023-06-19 10.10.19.547 AM.jpg

I don't know what response I had expected, but I was hoping for something a bit more than this considering I had full car and plate captures of the vehicle in question. I guess she maybe thought I had walked out and took the captures with a normal camera?
1687223713809.png

After all of that, it turns out it was our property manager just driving through the neighborhood checking things out. This is who I thought it was based on a previous experience and the car having its hazards on, but even after I presented the photos to my neighbor they kept commenting back and forth as if I hadn't basically just handed over the world's best photos of who it could be...

As much as I want to make a post on the FB page and share the captures, I am torn. I would like for people to know there is better hardware out there than what they're using, but I also don't want the issues and comments that may come from it. :idk:

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great examples!

I totally get your feelings and can relate. Sadly I doubt these people want to deal with the extra it takes to get the quality video, even though the cameras we recommend are cheaper than some Ring cameras LOL. They like the quick hang it up, scan a QR code, and watch it from the app.

After the third time of my cameras capturing useful video for one of my neighbors, he suggested we should put a flyer in everyone's door letting them know of my system in case something happens on their property.

I was like no effing way am I going to do that. I paint mine to blend in with the house to try not to bring attention to them and I told him there would be some neighbor that would take exception to it so I would prefer to just lay low and be silent.

Prior to that, when we had door checkers in here a couple years ago or so and the neighbors with cameras were talking how their great arlo, ring doorbell, Lorex, Foscam, and reolinks captured something happened but the police couldn't find any useful video from them other than what time their car was rummaged thru (several had their car rummaged through and their cameras were less than 10 feet from their car) and they were chatting how this is just an accepted fact from camera systems and poor nighttime performance. I just stood there smirking to myself.

One of them joked that my cameras probably didn't catch anything since I didn't have a car on the driveway that night and they skipped me. I didn't want to brag or boast LOL, but I let them see what my cameras captured and they were blown away. The money shot that got all their stolen stuff back was my 2MP varifocal optically zoomed in to a spot on the sidewalk 60 feet away at the street where the perp walked past and my LPR got their plate.

They were shocked my 2MP cameras were blowing away their 4K cameras...and one with sense started replacing cameras and buying them from Andy since they would work with his Lorex DVR. He was all ticked that his $1,300 Lorex 4k box kit was being beat by a 2MP camera LOL, but he recognized now what we all preach and went with 2MP cams to replace his 4K cams...now several of these have since been updated to better cameras with the right MP/sensor combination, but many of us know that a good 2MP camera will beat out a low-end 4K camera on the same sensor size all night long!

I have had a few neighbors that have given me rude remarks on my cameras, but who was the first person they asked when something happened to one of their cars? I should have been "oh man sorry I didn't catch it", but I was nice and provided them with the make/model/plate of the car that hit theirs in hopes maybe it would settle them down.

Another neighbor stopped when I was putting one up one day and was like "can you stop please". Guess what, that camera provided the info he needed when he was broken into.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great examples!

I have had a few neighbors that have given me rude remarks on my cameras, but who was the first person they asked when something happened to one of their cars? I should have been "oh man sorry I didn't catch it", but I was nice and provided them with the make/model/plate of the car that hit theirs in hopes maybe it would settle them down.

Another neighbor stopped when I was putting one up one day and was like "can you stop please". Guess what, that camera provided the info he needed when he was broken into.

" .. I have had a few neighbors that have given me rude remarks on my cameras, but who was the first person they asked when something happened to one of their cars? .. "

lol .. yup, can give them a warning - but if they do not pay attention or worse decide to bad mouth the information we are giving them ..

SO, why do I have an icon with TP ?

Similar to the DORI concepts and better placements to get that good quality ID shot .. a note to those who want to learn, to those who want an effective solution.

Early in the Pandemic, I told those around me .. "This is big .. China is putting temporary isolation camps .. better stock up on supplies .. ".

I got enough TP for my family ( and other supplies .. TP just really represents supplies ) .. and laughed and cried later when those who were talking about hoarding and this is just a simple "flu" and that the CDC would contain this .. nothing to worry about .. later, they stated that "You should have told us to buy TP" .. ( I certainly did not buy enough to share with the neighborhood .. just like IP security cameras, I am happy to help advise you on what to get and how to set it up .. but unless you are close family and friends, I do not plan to give you free labor .. free advice yes .. lol .. )

Well .. we can lead the horse to the water ..

1687231457854.png

1687231520517.png

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
" .. I have had a few neighbors that have given me rude remarks on my cameras, but who was the first person they asked when something happened to one of their cars? .. "

lol .. yup, can give them a warning - but if they do not pay attention or worse decide to bad mouth the information we are giving them ..

SO, why do I have an icon with TP ?

Similar to the DORI concepts and better placements to get that good quality ID shot .. a note to those who want to learn, to those who want an effective solution.

Early in the Pandemic, I told those around me .. "This is big .. China is putting temporary isolation camps .. better stock up on supplies .. ".

I got enough TP for my family ( and other supplies .. TP just really represents supplies ) .. and laughed and cried later when those who were talking about hoarding and this is just a simple "flu" and that the CDC would contain this .. nothing to worry about .. later, they stated that "You should have told us to buy TP" .. ( I certainly did not buy enough to share with the neighborhood .. just like IP security cameras, I am happy to help advise you on what to get and how to set it up .. but unless you are close family and friends, I do not plan to give you free labor .. free advice yes .. lol .. )

Well .. we can lead the horse to the water ..

View attachment 165863

View attachment 165864
I have been of a certain mindset for a long time now and did not need to buy any toilet paper during the entire time we were staying home and availability was scarce. I did buy some, but nothing crazy and to pad the shelf a bit; the same with other supplies. It is amazing how day-to-day or week-to-week people are with just basic items and don't have anything in reserve. A neighbor was complaining about the lack of pasta and sauce at the store and made a comment that "when this is over I had better not see anyone at Olive Garden." I can't tell you how many times people have said "if something happens, I am coming to your house". My response is always, "I won't be there."

I look at my camera system as an investment; let's say the whole thing has cost me $5000. I now have a higher chance of catching the vandals, thieves, stranger dangerers, etc that come around my house and, because of this, have a greater chance of recovering my loss. If I had not made the investment I would likely be out my loss PLUS adding on the cost of the system for the next time it might happen. I have had a couple friends get interested in putting in a system, but it never goes anywhere once I tell them it's more than just slapping up a couple cameras from Costco.

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't share full captures, either photo of video, of my full frames. We've even intentionally misled people about how far out we're recording (easily to the sidewalk on the far side of the street on both streets (corner lot)). If I do give people stills or video, they're edited to isolate what they want/need to see.

Some people would definitely get their back up if they knew how far we, myself and many others on this forum, recorded. Understandably, some people get creeped out.

Reaction score
I was like no effing way am I going to do that. I paint mine to blend in with the house to try not to bring attention to them and I told him there would be some neighbor that would take exception to it so I would prefer to just lay low and be silent.

My answer to any person who asked me to stop putting up cameras would be "No" with a smile. If pressed, I would rattle off the instances of the felons who have been arrested thanks to my cameras, including the two miscreants from Kentucky who were stealing multiple catalytic converters in the midtown area, and the wanted felon who tried to assault my neighbor's teenage daughter. I might even give them temporary access to my outdoor cameras so that they can see for themselves that I am not spying on them. :)

My cameras are quite visible, although people rarely notice them. However, I don't hesitate to publish video with license plates on YouTube, and provide the link on Nextdoor, when a clear criminal act is committed on my street. I want everyone to be aware of my cameras, and I believe that it has had a positive effect. Door checkers rarely come down my block nowadays, even when they hit other streets around mine. There's one guy riding a bike who is regularly recorded breaking into cars all over the midtown area in the middle of the night (he is never prosecuted by the DA because he is "mentally ill"), yet he never touches a vehicle within sight of my house.

Like you, what I don't do is publish or provide any video at the request of hysterical neighbors who convince themselves that someone looked suspicious. To read Nextdoor, you'd think that predators were constantly driving around the city looking for women and children to kidnap and force into sexual slavery based strictly on "that car slowed down as it drove past me". I have lost all patience for public accusations without proof.

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great examples!

Ive been in that same position with neighbors and my love for the shooting sports.
Give me grief, but when someone was in their yard i was their 1st call
Im no longer in a neighborhood and am now educating myself about the camera stuff

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive been in that same position with neighbors and my love for the shooting sports.
Give me grief, but when someone was in their yard i was their 1st call
Im no longer in a neighborhood and am now educating myself about the camera stuff
Good to have you hear @goneracin

We've got a good group of folks here happy to share their experiences on the topic(s) ..

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
My neighbors have requested I point some of my cams at them.
So far we've "found" several lost dogs a turtle/tortoise and a make-out couple
with my system. The only objection, i assume, is from "My Little Friend". The system
has slowed him down a notch or two.

They are a great investment!

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good to have you hear @goneracin

We've got a good group of folks here happy to share their experiences on the topic(s) ..
Thank you sir.
Ive been here only a few days, but from what i can tell im going to enjoy this place, and ive learned a shit ton already
I almost made the mistake of buying Reolink because it was the easy way to go..