Substitutes for port forwarding

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tell me about it. Comcast will not work with Netgear or anyone else to get there modems listed as acceptable to use with comcast. Even though these products have all they need to support Comcast. ( I talked with Netgear) Also their 4K wireless boxes will not work with any other modems because Comcast wont let them.

I also have to check my bill evertime I make a change to my package since Comcast alsways tries to overcharge me.
I replaced my Comcast modem with a Motorola modem, model # MB8611. It works well, and is listed on Comcast's compatibility list.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are the issues with comcast and another modem. Comcasts modem does not really allow port forwarding. However if you put it in bridge mode then your router can do port forwading. But then if your modem is in bridge mode the 4K boxes will not work becuase comcast makes them so they only work with thier modem. So you can not have another modem either with 4K
Comcast really sucks.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Not to split hairs... but modems do very little other than allow a device (router, pc, laptop) to connect to their cable. It is the router side of their appliance that are causing these frustrations.

Because Comca$$ now integrates the modem & router all in one. This is how they allow their xfinity service to be "everywhere" because they're quietly offering WiFi from every Internet customer's house (read the fine print, you agreed to it when you agreed to let them take your money every month).

You can still bring your own modem, and router if you choose. They offer a list of compatible routers and modems on their site if you look hard enough.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not to split hairs... but modems do very little other than allow a device (router, pc, laptop) to connect to their cable. It is the router side of their appliance that are causing these frustrations.

Because Comca$$ now integrates the modem & router all in one. This is how they allow their xfinity service to be "everywhere" because they're quietly offering WiFi from every Internet customer's house (read the fine print, you agreed to it when you agreed to let them take your money every month).

You can still bring your own modem, and router if you choose. They offer a list of compatible routers and modems on their site if you look hard enough.
Right. Just dont try and use the wireless 4K boxes if you use your own modem

Reaction score
Zero tier serves a different function then TeamViewer. Zero tier allows a remote connection using the mobile app or UI3. TeamViewer provides a remote desktop experience..
Thanks for the info!

Finally got off my ass and went the Zero Tier route. Pretty slick. Don't understand a lot of it, but got the BI app to work on my iPhone and got UI3 to work on a laptop that I use when we are on the road. Also got UI3 to work on my iPhone in a Chrome browser! Not that I would ever use that.

Now it has me thinking, which can be a bad thing, how could I use ZT to access files on my PC at home from a laptop away from home? Like text files or Excell spreadsheets? Any clue?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

Finally got off my ass and went the Zero Tier route. Pretty slick. Don't understand a lot of it, but got the BI app to work on my iPhone and got UI3 to work on a laptop that I use when we are on the road. Also got UI3 to work on my iPhone in a Chrome browser! Not that I would ever use that.

Now it has me thinking, which can be a bad thing, how could I use ZT to access files on my PC at home from a laptop away from home? Like text files or Excell spreadsheets? Any clue?
The system you are trying to access would need to be windows pro to use RDP. The system you are using to gain access can be windows home.

MBZ

n3wb
Reaction score
openVPN on Asus routers has been simple and free.. but this zerotier seems like a nice easy option otherwise
Good thread.
So far, this looks like it's the only suggestions for a sovereign option without a trusted 3rd party, right?

inspector

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I have been using BI for quite some time & live in Australia. I have 6 cameras in Australia, 4 cameras in Switzerland and 1 camera in France.
All my local Ip addresses are fixed, except In France the local IP is dynamic. Hence I am using Dyn DNS Pro - so when the IP changes it reflects that change and my French camera will be visible from any where in the world.
The question i have is:-
1 - will Zero Tier - resolve the dynamic IP in France ??
2 - as I am not so technically minded - can the gentleman that posted the Zero Tier video be help me to set this up - happy to pay for your time ??
I do have Team Viewer - on all my 3 x PC's (Australia, Switzerland & France.
cheers Peter

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I have been using BI for quite some time & live in Australia. I have 6 cameras in Australia, 4 cameras in Switzerland and 1 camera in France.
All my local Ip addresses are fixed, except In France the local IP is dynamic. Hence I am using Dyn DNS Pro - so when the IP changes it reflects that change and my French camera will be visible from any where in the world.
The question i have is:-
1 - will Zero Tier - resolve the dynamic IP in France ??
2 - as I am not so technically minded - can the gentleman that posted the Zero Tier video be help me to set this up - happy to pay for your time ??
I do have Team Viewer - on all my 3 x PC's (Australia, Switzerland & France.
cheers Peter
Zero tier doesnt need dyn dns. it will work anywhere you are.