Substreams and Live-view?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am trying to get accustomed to using sub-streams. Previously I had avoided using them. Why does it seem that my Dahua cameras look the same on the live-view after enabling the 640x480 substream but the Hikvision looks different? Clearly 640x480 is a 4:3 proportion, but it seems that I only see this on the Hikvision (multi-camera grid-live-view.) Why?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps the bitrate is different on the Hik substreams than the Dahua substreams? Or maybe it isn't actually using the substreams on one or more of the cameras? Or maybe the native resolution is higher than the others so the substream ends up looking a little better?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In Blue Iris, the "General" tab of camera settings has a status readout for the main stream and the sub stream. If you did it correctly then it should look something like this with values for both.

1675899396642.png

Blue Iris Status > Cameras tab also has all this information in a big table for all your cameras at once.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing your sub stream values will be blank on the Dahua cameras because you didn't enter the correct URL in the network IP camera configuration panel.

The aspect ratio is usually wrong for sub streams, so Blue Iris enlarges it as needed to make it match the main stream.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to get accustomed to using sub-streams. Previously I had avoided using them. Why does it seem that my Dahua cameras look the same on the live-view after enabling the 640x480 substream but the Hikvision looks different? Clearly 640x480 is a 4:3 proportion, but it seems that I only see this on the Hikvision (multi-camera grid-live-view.) Why?
Also remember that you are not limited to D1 substreams. Most newer dahua cameras have a second substream that can do 1080p and most hiks allow you to enable a third stream that can do 720p.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The General tab of all of these cameras display a substream.

Hikvision:
Main Stream 3.1MP 12.5/0.83 fps, 495 kB/s
Sub Stream 0.3MP 12.5/0.83 fps 54 kB/s

Dahua:
Main Stream 2.1 MP 20.04/1.0 fps 229 kB/s
Sub Stream 0.3 MP 20.01/1.0 fps 28.7 kB/s

I admit that I don't know why the Hik is showing 12.5 fps when I have it set to 15 fps inside the camera. Is that a possible clue?

Last edited:

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had to reinstall my Blue Iris. Have not been able to get my substreams working again for my hikvision cameras. Seems like this is a relatively easy fix, but I cannot remember how?
Any help please?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Had to reinstall my Blue Iris. Have not been able to get my substreams working again for my hikvision cameras. Seems like this is a relatively easy fix, but I cannot remember how?
Any help please?
If the path for the main stream is /Streaming/Channels/101/, make the sub stream /Streaming/Channels/102/

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the path for the main stream is /Streaming/Channels/101/, make the sub stream /Streaming/Channels/102/
Actually what I have is - /Streaming/Channels/{CAMNO}

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Actually what I have is - /Streaming/Channels/{CAMNO}
I assume you've logged into the cam's webGUI and enabled/configured the sub stream(s).
That's because you likely have "Hikvision" as make and a camera as model.
Instead choose "Generic/ONVIF " as make and "*RTSP/H.264/MJPG, etc. as model.
Then make the main and sub streams URL's as I posted above.

Last edited:

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I assume you've logged into the cam's webGUI and enabled/configured the sub stream(s).
That's because you likely have "Hikvision" as make and a camera as model.
Instead choose "Generic/ONVIF " as make and "*RTSP/H.264/MJPG, etc. as model.
Then make the main and sub streams URL's as I posted above.
Instead choose "Generic/ONVIF " as make and "*RTSP/H.264/MJPG, etc. as model. Was my problem.
Thank you, got it all working again now.