Success re-terminating Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE camera

beels

n3wb
Reaction score
I was having an intermittent signal issue with one of my Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras. It would record fine for hours or several days, then drop for several hours to a day at a time. Also, sluggish, unusable response time from the camera's web server page.

After much troubleshooting, upgrading firmware, replacing RJ-45 connectors, swapping cameras around, etc., I determined that the camera was defective. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the tiniest bit of corrosion on a couple of the leads of the female RJ-45 jack (camera pigtail end) and also thought maybe the pigtail had been installed (by me) with a bit too severe of a bend. The corrosion was so insignificant, and out near the outer ends of the pins, so I doubt this was the culprit, but I decided to replace the pigtail.

I ordered a new pigtail from AliExpress for a few dollars and waited about a month for shipping. I bought from seller Shuncheng Electronics (no affiliation).

The Dahua color scheme was different from the cable I received, so I used a continuity tester to create a pinout diagram that I wanted to share. The new cable came with several connectors, none of which was the required 12-pin connector, so I carefully removed the old cables and reused the original 12-pin camera connector.

The camera works great now!

Posting my pinout chart in case this helps someone else.

RJ-45Dahua ColorCam ConnectorNew Color
1Brown9Blue/White
2Purple10Blue
3Orange11Green/White
4Yellow2Yellow
5OpenN/AOpen
6Blue12Green
7Grey4Grey
8Grey4Grey

I decided not to connect the DC power pigtail, but it would be connected like this: Outside Barrel (black, pin 8) & Center Post (Red, pin 5), Note that the crimps on my replacement cable for these two leads were larger than all the others, too large to fit the original 12-pin connector. I had previously decided to not connect them anyway, so wasn't an issue for me.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was having an intermittent signal issue with one of my Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras. It would record fine for hours or several days, then drop for several hours to a day at a time. Also, sluggish, unusable response time from the camera's web server page.

After much troubleshooting, upgrading firmware, replacing RJ-45 connectors, swapping cameras around, etc., I determined that the camera was defective. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the tiniest bit of corrosion on a couple of the leads of the female RJ-45 jack (camera pigtail end) and also thought maybe the pigtail had been installed (by me) with a bit too severe of a bend. The corrosion was so insignificant, and out near the outer ends of the pins, so I doubt this was the culprit, but I decided to replace the pigtail.

I ordered a new pigtail from AliExpress for a few dollars and waited about a month for shipping. I bought from seller Shuncheng Electronics (no affiliation).

The Dahua color scheme was different from the cable I received, so I used a continuity tester to create a pinout diagram that I wanted to share. The new cable came with several connectors, none of which was the required 12-pin connector, so I carefully removed the old cables and reused the original 12-pin camera connector.

1Brown9Blue/White
2Purple10Blue
3Orange11Green/White
4Yellow2Yellow
5OpenN/AOpen
6Blue12Green
7Grey4Grey
8Grey4Grey
I decided not to connect the DC power pigtail, but it would be connected like this: Outside Barrel (black, pin 8) & Center Post (Red, pin 5), Note that the crimps on my replacement cable for these two leads were larger than all the others, too large to fit the original 12-pin connector. I had previously decided to not connect them anyway, so wasn't an issue for me.

Good job.

Feel free to share any pictures that would be useful ..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

1Brown9Blue/White
2Purple10Blue
3Orange11Green/White
4Yellow2Yellow
5OpenN/AOpen
6Blue12Green
7Grey4Grey
8Grey4Grey

This may very well have fixed the Rj45 without replacing it: Caig Deoxit

beels

n3wb
Reaction score
This may very well have fixed the Rj45 without replacing it: Caig Deoxit
This speculation is not correct in this case, but thanks for the dexoit suggestion. As stated, I doubt the tiny amount of corrosion on the end of the pins was the culprit. This area of the pins is not the critical contact point on the RJ-45. Plus I had tried cleaning the tiny corrosion with an exacto and alcohol under magnification.
I believe the issue may be due to the cable being bent too severely. This is supported by observing that the camera operating correctly for over a week while the (old) pigtail was straightened out.

At any rate, determining the root cause wasn't the point of my post, but rather to provide a possible solution and pinout diagram if someone wanted to replace their pigtail.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am in this process. I bought a short male-to-female RJ45 cable from Ebay and cut the male end off. It has the standard RJ45 colors. I seem to measure continuity between yellow and both pins 4 and 5 but everyone else says 5 is NC so I will leave it isolated.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Apparently no success. What is the typical success rate? I'm guessing that after connector water damage other things can get fried in the camera.