Sudden gust takes out test rig with new cam

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Testing a new HDW5231R-ZE on a test rig and sudden gust of wind decided it would have none of that

Here is what the damage looks like on the exterior. Not sure if anything internal is now fubar. Camera seems to focus and zoom properly. I guess we’ll see if the IR still works when it gets dark later. Should have had more rocks in the home depot bucket :(

IMG_0787.JPG

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Ouch! If those are scratches or pits on than lens cover your night time stuff will be fubar using IR.
Might want to make sure the seal did not get disturbed in the lens cover or you will be taking in moisture.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Ouch! If those are scratches or pits on than lens cover your night time stuff will be fubar using IR.
Might want to make sure the seal did not get disturbed in the lens cover or you will be taking in moisture.
Thanks, I'll keep and eye on that. I'll know sure enough in a few hours if the IR will be an issue :)

Worst case, I'll need to hit up @EMPIRETECANDY for another one and turn this one into a weather cam :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yikes. I think I saw the IR filter flick in and out of place during that crash!

Yeah, Dahua doesn't always get the waterproofing 100% right anyway, and it sucks getting moisture inside because it always wants condense dead-center in the middle of the glass. You know, where the lens is.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Yikes. I think I saw the IR filter flick in and out of place during that crash!

Yeah, Dahua doesn't always get the waterproofing 100% right anyway, and it sucks getting moisture inside because it always wants condense dead-center in the middle of the glass. You know, where the lens is.
I think I saw that as well. There was a moment where there was a red flash. What really sucks is I actually watched it happen in real time. Just happened to look up at the monitor at that moment. I was using this test rig to determine where we would want the camera installed permanently. It’s only been up in its current location for 48 hours :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This condensation sucked, normally will disappear 1-2 days later, this normally happens after a cooler day because of the rain or snow.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Update: everything seems to be in working order. No issues with IR at all. I thought for sure with the hit it took, that something would have been damaged.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The guy who installed my cams commented that they were much better quality than the ones he would normally install, even said that the junction boxes were so much better quality as well. He also asked me what make they were and when I said Duhua said that we would look into them.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The guy who installed my cams commented that they were much better quality than the ones he would normally install, even said that the junction boxes were so much better quality as well. He also asked me what make they were and when I said Duhua said that we would look into them.
aha, you better sent our shop link to them, lol. :picfail:

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had a HDW5231R become somewhat myopic after I accidentally made my test rig tip over. It works fine zoomed out, but the more zoomed in, the more trouble it has focusing. Sounds like yours fared better :)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
30lbs of ballast, is the minimum I shoot for.
For my test rig, I also used a tether, in case it tipped.
Maybe from my rock climbing days, you always wanted "protection" from a fall.
Also, my hyperactive dog that sniffs out rodents, and aggressively moves anything in the way while following a scent, could bump the test rig.
For test rig, instead of a 2x4, I used an "extendable light bulb changing pole" which I already owned. It's trivial to adjust height, unlike a 2x4. No screws into a 2x4. For domes, the cam could fit into the light bulb "basket". For my 5231 bullet, mounted the cam to a short board, and used clamps to attach the wood to the pole.
Fastb