Suddenly on Evaluation Version

zosobao

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did a routine update (my support ended in April) and it went to an evaluation version. (i had been on version 5 for quite some time) I had figured only a major version (like v6) would require a new activation. Is something wrong here? When I enter my activation key, I still get the evaluation watermark on the camera screens.

Thanks for the help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did a routine update (my support ended in April) and it went to an evaluation version. (i had been on version 5 for quite some time) I had figured only a major version (like v6) would require a new activation. Is something wrong here? When I enter my activation key, I still get the evaluation watermark on the camera screens.

Thanks for the help.
There are several threads on this.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Has been discussed quite a few times but the crux of it is that the developer has now put in place checks to stop you updating if your support has expired. It looks like each release has a date associated with it so have a look at the release thread, work out what update came out before and after your support date and try installing I see if it fixes the issue.

zosobao

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I could not find that version, only 5.2.6.1. I figured I'd at least get support up until the next major version (e.g. v6). I can understand a major release, but don't think its right otherwise. Oh well. Product works.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I could not find that version, only 5.2.6.1. I figured I'd at least get support up until the next major version (e.g. v6). I can understand a major release, but don't think its right otherwise. Oh well. Product works.
You can argue that the way he implemented this without warning you is bad, but you cannot argue that charging for updates is "not right". What is "not right" is expecting something for nothing. In fact, it has been blue iris policy since sometime during the v4 release to provide minor updates for 1 year only. This is made clear on the blue iris website in the support matrix attached below. The developer (who does this all by himself) has been generous in not enforcing this rule until now. This is standard practice with other vms and other software. More importantly, the updates constantly add new features. Would it make you happy if he just released a new version every year and charged you for that? Consider this, the developer is under no obligation to add any function to the current version of blue iris. He can just leave it be, wait a year and release version 6 with a ton of new features. Blue iris gives you the OPTION to get these new features as they are released. 30-35 bux is a joke compared to what you get considered the cost and limited functionality of many of the alternatives.

Attachments

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I feel that sub $60. is a bargain for the software. I would like another registered copy to use on another pc for testing cameras and setups and maybe editing BVR files. My plan is to buy a new registration next month when my current version expires and will have my 2 copies. I am currently running vers 5.2.7.12 with absolutely no issues and feel it would take some major updates to make me feel that I need to upgrade. My CPU usage is very high but with 20 cameras recording full time DTD on a first gen I7, I cannot complain.

zosobao

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you. I appreciate your thoughts. I do agree with most, was just a bit surprised by the evaluation version change.

You can argue that the way he implemented this without warning you is bad, but you cannot argue that charging for updates is "not right". What is "not right" is expecting something for nothing. In fact, it has been blue iris policy since sometime during the v4 release to provide minor updates for 1 year only. This is made clear on the blue iris website in the support matrix attached below. The developer (who does this all by himself) has been generous in not enforcing this rule until now. This is standard practice with other vms and other software. More importantly, the updates constantly add new features. Would it make you happy if he just released a new version every year and charged you for that? Consider this, the developer is under no obligation to add any function to the current version of blue iris. He can just leave it be, wait a year and release version 6 with a ton of new features. Blue iris gives you the OPTION to get these new features as they are released. 30-35 bux is a joke compared to what you get considered the cost and limited functionality of many of the alternatives.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I feel that sub $60. is a bargain for the software. I would like another registered copy to use on another pc for testing cameras and setups and maybe editing BVR files. My plan is to buy a new registration next month when my current version expires and will have my 2 copies. I am currently running vers 5.2.7.12 with absolutely no issues and feel it would take some major updates to make me feel that I need to upgrade. My CPU usage is very high but with 20 cameras recording full time DTD on a first gen I7, I cannot complain.
I bought a second license as well! Can’t complain about $60 when other VMS charge more than that per camera!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk