suggestion, please review video

nevian

n3wb
Reaction score

I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I 4MP pointed to the street where I hope to be able to get license plates off of cars but it looks as though this camera isn't good enough.

Please review video and make a suggestion on a camera that could perhaps get the job done. I have a LaView LV-KN988P84A4 NVR which may just be a rebranded hikvision.

Thank you

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I 4MP pointed to the street where I hope to be able to get license plates off of cars but it looks as though this camera isn't good enough.

Please review video and make a suggestion on a camera that could perhaps get the job done. I have a LaView LV-KN988P84A4 NVR which may just be a rebranded hikvision.

Thank you
@nayr is the LPR master but I'd say you need something with a lot more zoom on it, and then you will need to tweak the settings.

nevian

n3wb
Reaction score
that wont help..the camera angle is too wide and improper..
i don't know much about surveillance cameras but why would the angle matter if the object is in the center? shouldn't that be the camera's focal point? now as far as being too wide...that's not a configurable item, correct- that requires a camera with a different mm ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i don't know much about surveillance cameras but why would the angle matter if the object is in the center? shouldn't that be the camera's focal point? now as far as being too wide...that's not a configurable item, correct- that requires a camera with a different mm ?
if you mount it lower and head on you will get a better image...you need at least a 12mm lens...or a varifocal camera...note that at night, you need to dedicate a camera for LPR.

nevian

n3wb
Reaction score
ok, so i'm getting that there aren't any cameras available that are compatible with my NVR that will capture/record license plates clearly enough for me to read.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:

GH75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Uniview has a 2mp camera with 22mm zoom. Perfect for this situation. We have put in at least 20 of them for lpr

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty useless at that height even allowing for zoom issues. Might work with more zoom for licence plates but for persons, all you're going to get is a view of the the top of their head or a hat. Needs to be much lower down just above head height. If you're camera coverage is correct you needn't worry about them attacking the camera, because they'll have been caught on video long before they get close enough to cause damage.

Personally, although my experience of CCTV is limited, I'd have said this might be a job for a PTZ Turret and Trip zones, because then you can have the wide view but get the camera to zoom in on the car and track it as it approaches thereby increasing the pixel density and giving you the best of both worlds. ie the wide shot when no targets are in view and the close in highly identifiable view, when tracking a target. To that end you could even leave the camera high provided you have a lower down camera to catch anyone approach the property close in.