Suggestions for a reputable brand PTZ outdoor 10x (or more) WIFI camera?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm tired of messing with the off brand Chinese junks. Need something solid and must have wifi, not way to get cable to the place I need the camera.
I do have an outdoor AP so line of sight is under 50'. I know nothing beats wired but still if you have something that I"m describing that you're happy with, please let me know brand and/or link.
Needs to be at least 10x, wifi, PTZ a must. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm tired of messing with the off brand Chinese junks. Need something solid and must have wifi, not way to get cable to the place I need the camera.
I do have an outdoor AP so line of sight is under 50'. I know nothing beats wired but still if you have something that I"m describing that you're happy with, please let me know brand and/or link.
Needs to be at least 10x, wifi, PTZ a must. Thanks
Forget wifi cameras, use a ubiquiti point to point wireless setup with a solid wired camera. There are many threads about both.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Funny you said that. I was just talked out of it today by a salesman at my local electronics store. He was supposed to be the most knowledgeable in the Ubiquiti line.
I currently have a UniFi AP on the side of the house with 4 wifi that connect to it. Although the "wifi experience" is usually in the mid-high 90's sometimes the cameras have a small lag when I use PTZ or just move them. Research says it's likely collision from more than one wifi device talking to the AP at the same time, which is possible if two of them are triggering at the same time so that made sense to me.
I asked my local salesman (they sell ubiquiti stuff) if I could use my current AP and place a loco m5 in line of sight and connect a small switch to that and connect the cameras via the switch, or just buy two loco m5's and a switch.
He said based on what I already have set up it wouldn't make any difference. Is that likely true becuase I want to use a switch on the destination end to connect 3 cams?

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't believe the M5 will connect to your existing AP. I believe the M5 must be M5 to M5 which is how I have a pair deployed. I prefer the full size one instead of the loco so that you get standard PoE support and not have to use their injector.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
An ubiquiti "point to point" setup is where you use two airmax radios (not unifi) connected together over the air. (3 or more devices on one network would be point to multipoint)

These radios are not necessarily more reliable than regular consumer wifi devices. Their reliability comes from how they are typically installed. These radios typically have directional antennas and are mounted outdoors facing directly toward each other with a clear line of sight between them, which delivers great signal strength over surprisingly long distances. Being mounted outside the structure means there is at least one wall between them and most noise sources. The directional antenna being faced away from the noise sources also helps a great deal. If you were to try to point one of these into a home where it is facing all the noise sources and must communicate through several walls, you would be losing most of the reliability benefits.

That said, an Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 can be used as a client for an 802.11n network, and the directional antenna would improve signal strength through a wall compared to a device with an omnidirectional antenna. But it is still only going to operate at "n" speeds at best, not "ac" or "ax".