Suggestions for a "trail cam" camera system?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So for these distances, it looks like I should just buy a bunch of these cameras? Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4MP

I see I'm "not supposed to chase MPs", but if the 5442's have better low light performance and AI features, is there a reason to go with 3241s or 2231s? I saw 2MP should have better low light performance than 4MP... I'd guess I'd also get this one if there are benefits the older series? IPC-T2231T-ZS

Thanks
The "I saw 2MP should have better low light performance than 4MP" is in regards to a budget cam that puts 4MP on the same size sensor as the 2MP camera.

But as @sebastiantombs points out, if you have the proper MP/sensor ratio for the camera (which the 5442 series is), then at the same distance away with similar focal length cameras, the 4MP 5442 series will beat the 2MP camera of the same focal length. Now if you had a 2.8mm fixed lens 5442 camera looking at an object 60 feet away, a 2MP varifocal optically zoomed in to capture that IDENTIFY distance will be a better camera choice.

So it is two things you have to look at when comparing cameras - sensor size and focal length.

At some of your distances, you would need the Z4E.

Most here would always recommend to get your camera as close to the area you want to IDENTIFY as possible. Realizing that isn't always the case, that is what the optical zoom cameras like the ZE and Z4E come into play.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
And, you don't have to purchase all your cams at one time. Might be best to wet your feet and get a few first to see if you are even satisfied with the product. You might find you need different models depending on your different field of views.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you both for the info...Using the IPVM Calculator I came up with the following distances. I think this is a nice start lol. Will probably add a doorbell cam...

Code:
Driveway       30'
Apple Tree #1  30'
Apple Tree #2  35'
Log Bridge     10'
Pond           60'
Swamp          35'
Barn #1        25'
Barn #2        25'
Barn #3        25'
With a little photoshop magic:
View attachment 135111
Nice spread :) If funds allow how about the 5442's acting as spotter cams for a PTZ with auto tracking?

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The "I saw 2MP should have better low light performance than 4MP" is in regards to a budget cam that puts 4MP on the same size sensor as the 2MP camera.

But as @sebastiantombs points out, if you have the proper MP/sensor ratio for the camera (which the 5442 series is), then at the same distance away with similar focal length cameras, the 4MP 5442 series will beat the 2MP camera of the same focal length. Now if you had a 2.8mm fixed lens 5442 camera looking at an object 60 feet away, a 2MP varifocal optically zoomed in to capture that IDENTIFY distance will be a better camera choice.

So it is two things you have to look at when comparing cameras - sensor size and focal length.

At some of your distances, you would need the Z4E.
Most here would always recommend to get your camera as close to the area you want to IDENTIFY as possible. Realizing that isn't always the case, that is what the optical zoom cameras like the ZE and Z4E come into play.
Ah, I had see the info @sebastiantombs posted in his thread with lots of reviews but didn't understand it in the context of 5442 vs 2231 cameras, thank you for the ELI5 version!
And, you don't have to purchase all your cams at one time. Might be best to wet your feet and get a few first to see if you are even satisfied with the product. You might find you need different models depending on your different field of views.
That actually makes a lot of sense....... lol ty
Nice spread :) If funds allow how about the 5442's acting as spotter cams for a PTZ with auto tracking?
Thanks! And that sounds like a great idea, ty for the suggestion. I've seen PTZ cameras mentioned a few places but haven't had a chance to look into them closely.

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What's my best option for a waterproof mount to a tree? I'm planning on direct burying Cat6 and then running a length conduit/flex-conduit out of the ground, up the tree.

The PFA130-E junction box seems like an easy waterproofing option, although turret camera will have to mounted horizontally.

I'm not sure how to waterproof the conduit connection with PFB230W Wall Mount, it looks like it requires another junction box?

And there's the PFA150 Pole Mount, that seems like a simple option but I think I could make the same thing at Home Depot for less than $30 lol

Thanks

Edit: Does anyone have an updated version of the Model Decoding chart from IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes found below?
1659871448623.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Be cautious mounting to trees. I have two tree mounted cameras using PFA130 boxes (5442T cameras) with liquid tite conduit running up the tree trunk. Both runs are in conduit for the full length and use direct burial rated cable. Both trees are over a foot in diameter red oaks. Originally I used two hole straps to hold the conduit to the trunks. In a little over a year the growth of the trunks was crushing the conduit. I made bar mounts for the two hole straps out of 1/4" thick aluminum bar stock and mounted them first, then the two hole straps for the conduit. Two years later and I still have to adjust them because the tree growth is still crushing the conduit even with those standoff bars in place.

Also, you'll want to put surge suppressors on each of those cables to reduce the likelihood of surge damage to your network from nearby lightning strikes. There's not much that can protect from a direct hit though.

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Be cautious mounting to trees. I have two tree mounted cameras using PFA130 boxes (5442T cameras) with liquid tite conduit running up the tree trunk. Both runs are in conduit for the full length and use direct burial rated cable. Both trees are over a foot in diameter red oaks. Originally I used two hole straps to hold the conduit to the trunks. In a little over a year the growth of the trunks was crushing the conduit. I made bar mounts for the two hole straps out of 1/4" thick aluminum bar stock and mounted them first, then the two hole straps for the conduit. Two years later and I still have to adjust them because the tree growth is still crushing the conduit even with those standoff bars in place.

Also, you'll want to put surge suppressors on each of those cables to reduce the likelihood of surge damage to your network from nearby lightning strikes. There's not much that can protect from a direct hit though.
Thank you, that's all stuff I was concerned about lol. And you went with conduit even with the direct burial cat6, huh? The run would be next a pond where the ground gets very wet. I bought gel-filled DB cat6 from TrueCable, hoping that would be sufficient, but maybe I should run it in conduit anyway?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the recommendation for surge suppressors specific to tree mounted cams or any cam with cable running in or on the ground?

Not sure if we are talking about lightning strikes to trees or lighting to the ground or induced voltage to wire from electro magnetic field from lightning.

And, which surge suppressor are you using? The POE type or are you using optically coupled protection (fiber optic) with separate power injection?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Conduit is always a good idea with underground runs. It makes replacing a failed cable much easier or expanding the system much easier, dig once, cry once. Even conduit will end up with water in it eventually which is why going with a direct burial style cable is a good idea. Shielded direct burial, in conduit (even metal, AKA rigid, conduit) is another way too mitigate surges but proper grounding has to be followed to avoid ground loops.

I'm using the Ubiquity surge protectors. They're not specific for tree mounted cameras but are a very good idea for any buried cable run. They can prevent spikes from surges, but if it's a close hit all bets are off, surge protected, shielded, properly grounded or not.

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Conduit is always a good idea with underground runs. It makes replacing a failed cable much easier or expanding the system much easier, dig once, cry once. Even conduit will end up with water in it eventually which is why going with a direct burial style cable is a good idea. Shielded direct burial, in conduit (even metal, AKA rigid, conduit) is another way too mitigate surges but proper grounding has to be followed to avoid ground loops.

I'm using the Ubiquity surge protectors. They're not specific for tree mounted cameras but are a very good idea for any buried cable run. They can prevent spikes from surges, but if it's a close hit all bets are off, surge protected, shielded, properly grounded or not.

Damn lol, of course that makes sense....does increase the work though a bit haha

How many of the surge suppressors would I need? 1 for every camera I assume? because 1 in between the switch and the PC would leave all the cameras and the switch vulnerable?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Damn lol, of course that makes sense....does increase the work though a bit haha

How many of the surge suppressors would I need? 1 for every camera I assume? because 1 in between the switch and the PC would leave all the cameras and the switch vulnerable?
Yes, one for each camera run. Ideally mounted outdoors near the house's grounding rod and where the ethernet cables enter the house.
Lightning strikes can cause induced surges from up to a mile away.

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think for now I'm going to order the following as starter cameras: (2) IPC-T5442T-ZE, (1) IPC-B5442E-Z4E and (1) HFW5241E-Z12E. Get a good feel for what they look like and I can always relocate them later if I find they'll be better suited elsewhere.

Couple final questions...

1. I see EmpireTech's AliExpress prices are better than his Amazon prices, but potentially the prices are even better if I message him directly?

2. On AliExpress the 5241-Z12E is only on sale as PAL system, doing a quick google that shouldn't really mean anything to me here in the US, but I just wanted to confirm? It's not like were using CRT TVs anymore lol

3. Is the Z12E getting a 5442 release at some point?

Thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd just contact Andy directly and order through him. He frequently uses Amazon to fulfill orders for fast shipping. Even if he ships directly it's fast.

PAL or NTSC make no difference. The signal is digital so it really doesn't matter at all.

We can only hope the 5442 series will get a Z12, or better, variant. Andy can answer more definitely I think.

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A month an half after posting this thread I've got (the first four) cameras installed! Here are some pictures of the process...

PXL_20220813_164033845.jpg PXL_20220813_174429275.jpg PXL_20220813_220231329.jpg PXL_20220813_184910413.jpg
PXL_20220911_214058039.jpg Apple Tree 2022-09-12 05.50.03.182 PM.jpg PXL_20220911_203823739.jpg PXL_20220911_203832796.jpg
PXL_20220911_205849600.jpg PXL_20220911_205857746.jpg PXL_20220911_200511972.jpg PXL_20220911_200519158.jpg

I've got motion detection and Deepstack setup (and seemingly working). Within minutes of turning the cameras on, Blue Iris missed a groundhog under the apple tree, but I lowered the min. object size and min contrast to 150/25, so we'll see. We caught some deer a couple nights ago (at 74% confidence). Also, caught several leafy branches detected as people and birds lol (at 70-72% confidence). The first night, the tree of the apple trunk was detected as a deer (at 62% confidence). After thinking the tree trunk was a deer I upped DS's minimum confidence to 70%. I would probably go higher, but since the actual deer were only at 74% I'm afraid it'll miss stuff.

A question on camera settings. I've read @wittaj's very informative posts on manual shutter speed vs exposure. But I'm wondering if it even applies to my trail cams, since that advise is geared toward IDENTIFYing cameras. I want good looking static images of animals (as well as Hollywood quality video clips hahah (so I upped it to 30fps)). I realize the difference being able to freeze motion for good, clear images. Quality is very important to me but, I think I would prefer brighter images vs being able to IDENTIFY a bear (in the context of a police lineup lol). That being said I've read over and over how the default settings are trash, so I guess at some point I'm going to need to dive into the nitty and gritty details and have someone walk around to test any changes.

On a couple recommendation posts I saw from @sebastiantombs, I've ordered two CMVision IR Illuminator's for the Apple Tree (IR130) and Log Bridge (IR56) cameras. With the Dauha POE injector and extender, I don't see any issues with the Swamp camera at 500' (other than the Z12E being a 1080p camera and not a 4MP camera :rolleyes:). Here are some images from the cameras...

Apple Tree 2022-09-12 05.50.03.182 PM.jpg Apple Tree 2022-09-14 02.09.46.965 AM.jpg Deer.jpg
Log Bridge 2022-09-12 05.50.26.848 PM.jpg Log Bridge 2022-09-14 07.50.27.323 PM.jpg
Pond 2022-09-12 05.50.59.839 PM.jpg Pond 2022-09-14 07.50.44.386 PM.jpg
Swamp 2022-09-12 05.50.47.80 PM.jpg Swamp 2022-09-14 07.50.53.77 PM.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've got motion detection and Deepstack setup (and seemingly working). Within minutes of turning the cameras on, Blue Iris missed a groundhog under the apple tree, but I lowered the min. object size and min contrast to 150/25, so we'll see. We caught some deer a couple nights ago (at 74% confidence). Also, caught several leafy branches detected as people and birds lol (at 70-72% confidence). The first night, the tree of the apple trunk was detected as a deer (at 62% confidence). After thinking the tree trunk was a deer I upped DS's minimum confidence to 70%. I would probably go higher, but since the actual deer were only at 74% I'm afraid it'll miss stuff.

A question on camera settings. I've read @wittaj's very informative posts on manual shutter speed vs exposure. But I'm wondering if it even applies to my trail cams, since that advise is geared toward IDENTIFYing cameras. I want good looking static images of animals (as well as Hollywood quality video clips hahah (so I upped it to 30fps)). I realize the difference being able to freeze motion for good, clear images. Quality is very important to me but, I think I would prefer brighter images vs being able to IDENTIFY a bear (in the context of a police lineup lol). That being said I've read over and over how the default settings are trash, so I guess at some point I'm going to need to dive into the nitty and gritty details and have someone walk around to test any changes.
Awesome - you are well on your way. Hope you ran extra cables cause these thing multiply like the wildlife LOL.

Keep in mind Deepstack is good, but it isn't perfect, so smaller things like groundhogs will be more difficult. Just recognize that it won't ID everything correctly.

Your statement " I want good looking static images of animals (as well as Hollywood quality video clips hahah (so I upped it to 30fps)). I realize the difference being able to freeze motion for good, clear images." Shows that you still have some to learn LOL.

What gets you the good looking static images is the shutter speed (thus my post about shutter speed you reference above), not the FPS. FPS does NOTHING for being able to freeze motion for good, clear images. It is the shutter speed. I will take 2FPS with the proper shutter speed over 30FPS on default settings all night long LOL.

What the FPS gets you is smooth video, but each frame can be a complete blur if the shutter speed isn't fast enough.

Let me give an extreme example. To capture plates at night, you need a fast shutter to capture the plate. The faster the shutter, the darker the image. So our image will be black except for the headlights and the reflective properties of the plate. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night with a 1/2,000 shutter and 8 FPS of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E that is on the 2nd story soffit, Camera is 35 feet above street at this location.

1663242978030.png

If I ran it 30FPS on default settings, then it would be blur city.

So in your case, if you don't want IDENTIFY, but you still want some usable video, you still want it off of default. Default for some of these cameras at night may go down to 1/3s or 1/12s shutter speed to make the static image look good, but motion will be complete blur. Try 1/30s and it might be the compromise between the brightness you want on the screen and enough detail to RECOGNIZE it is a bear instead of a person LOL.

Keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing by many of us shows if you try to run these units at higher FPS and higher bitrates than needed that you will max out the CPU in the unit and then it bugs out just long enough that you miss something or video is choppy or pixelated or you get lost signals. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of units - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but trying to use the rated "spec" of every option available is usually not going to work well, either with a car or a camera or NVR.

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or video dropping signal or IVS missing motion or the SD card doesn't overwrite and they were running 30FPS or higher and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable and they could actual freeze frame the image to get a clean capture. The goal of these cameras are to capture a moving object, not capture smooth motion. When we see the news, are they showing the video or a freeze frame screen shot? Nobody cares if it isn't butter smooth...getting the features to make an ID is the important factor. As always, YMMV...

Further, these types of cameras are not GoPro or Hollywood type cameras that offer slow-mo capabilities and other features. They "offer" 30FPS and 60FPS to appease the general public that thinks that is what they need, but you will not find many of us here running more than 15 FPS; and movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for. If 24 FPS works for the big screen, I think 15 FPS is more than enough for phones and tablets and most monitors LOL. Many of my cameras are running at 12FPS.

In fact, many times if a CPU is maxing out, if it doesn't drop signal, then it will adhere to the FPS but then slow the shutter down to try to not max the CPU or cut bitrate or be slow to detect an object, etc, which then produces a smooth blurry image..that is the video my neighbor gets who insists on running 60FPS. He gets smooth walking people watching the video real time, but you can't freeze frame it cause every frame is a blur, meanwhile my 12FPS gets the clean freeze frame. Shutter speed is more important the FPS. We both run the same shutter speed by the way, but his camera CPU is maxing out and something gotta give when you push it that hard.

Sure 30FPS can provide a smoother video but no police officer has said "wow that person really is running smooth". They want the ability to freeze frame and get a clean image. So be it if the video is a little choppy....and at 10-15FPS it won't be appreciable. My neighbor runs his at 60FPS, so the person or car goes by looking smooth, but it is a blur when trying to freeze frame it because the camera can't keep up. Meanwhile my camera at 15FPS with the proper shutter speed gets the clean shots.

So a few of my cams have a system status screen, and they call it a CPU, so that is why I am calling it a CPU, but this shows this camera running at 8192 bitrate, H264, CBR, and 12 FPS is hitting the camera processor at 47% and jumps to 70% with motion. If I up the camera to 30 FPS, the usage is in the high 90% range, but then with motion, it maxes out and would get unstable.

Or if I keep it at 12 FPS and use the camera motion detection, the CPU in the camera goes to 60% idle.

This would be nice if all cams had this so we could see how our settings impact the performance of the camera. I think running these cams close to capacity is probably harder to overcome than a computer spike at 100% CPU.

At the end of the day, if the consumer wants cameras that can do 30FPS, they will not look at any cameras that do not have that rated spec, so some companies will throw that in to appease the person looking for that. Unfortunately, that is marketing. It takes someone with experience in the industry to know for sure if it is really capable of what marketing says.

And in a few scenarios maybe you can squeak 30FPS out of these cameras - maybe without using IVS or motion detection and just watching a simple feed. But maybe when two users log in, it can't handle it for example. The more features you use, the less likely it will work as one expects.

And if the complaints get bad enough, we have seen firmware updates to popular models that do just that - cut FPS or some other feature...

1663243153506.png

Watch these, for most of us, it isn't annoying until below 10FPS

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Awesome - you are well on your way. Hope you ran extra cables cause these thing multiply like the wildlife LOL.
I believe it lol. When we pulled the ethernet cable through we also pulled a string with it, once the cable was all the way through we used the string to pull the (stronger) pull-string back through the conduit to leave there for future use...
Shows that you still have some to learn LOL.
Haha I've been taking this project one step at time, it was hard to tweak settings and test them when I was setting them up on my living room table. It's easier now that they're out in the elements lol.
So a few of my cams have a system status screen, and they call it a CPU, so that is why I am calling it a CPU, but this shows this camera running at 8192 bitrate, H264, CBR, and 12 FPS is hitting the camera processor at 47% and jumps to 70% with motion. If I up the camera to 30 FPS, the usage is in the high 90% range, but then with motion, it maxes out and would get unstable.
Damn, I didn't even consider the camera CPU could be the bottleneck. I've been thinking my BI PC cpu's passmark score crushes everything lol..
Watch these, for most of us, it isn't annoying until below 10FPS
Yeah, you're right...15 FPS does look sufficient lol.
Keep in mind Deepstack is good, but it isn't perfect, so smaller things like groundhogs will be more difficult. Just recognize that it won't ID everything correctly.
Anyway, I talked to my mom this morning, I guess she got up last night at 3am and saw another deer under the apple tree. When she checked the cameras it didn't have any alerts. I just manually analyzed the video with DS and it came up with this:
Untitled-1.jpg :facepalm:
I'm guessing contrast of the deer wasn't sufficient. It basically stayed towards the back/under tree in the shadow. Hopefully the IR illuminator helps + tweaking the camera settings tonight. (And even with the minimal movement of the deer the ghosting/motion blur was very apparent at 30 FPS and default/auto settings... :rolleyes:)

Is there anyway to view the BI status and DS log in UI3?

Thanks

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyway, I talked to my mom this morning, I guess she got up last night at 3am and saw another deer under the apple tree. When she checked the cameras it didn't have any alerts.
I didn't find what model of camera you're using. If it's a 5442 or 5842 series, they actively reject triggering on animals. Some other camera models do trigger on animals well, the 4231 and 5231 series for example.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I will say to watch the stainless clamps on the trees. Trees have a nasty habit of growing, constantly, and they'll bury those clamps and the boxes your cameras are mounted on, but especially the clamps, in only a year or two

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I didn't find what model of camera you're using. If it's a 5442 or 5842 series, they actively reject triggering on animals. Some other camera models do trigger on animals well, the 4231 and 5231 series for example.
Yeah, 3x 5442 (and a 5241). I'm only using BI to check for motion. I saw that Dahua wants to cut down on animal false alerts, so no ONVIF triggers are set up. Which is unfortunate because I hear the camera AI is very good.
I will say to watch the stainless clamps on the trees. Trees have a nasty habit of growing, constantly, and they'll bury those clamps and the boxes your cameras are mounted on, but especially the clamps, in only a year or two
Lol thanks for the advice. For now I mounted the straps with just a little breathing room for now and will check them from time to time lol.