Suggestions for wireless cameras

wwitpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
Good morning everyone-
I am looking into finding a couple additional cameras to add to my company's existing Blue Iris-managed security system. We currently have a couple D-link (3 wireless) cameras for hallways and a couple Dahua's running over ethernet. Both of these cameras seem to work fairly well for our needs.

We are looking to add 2 more cameras closer to the exterior of the building to monitor doors and such. For convenience sake, we'd like to make these 2 wireless. We have a pretty decent wireless network so this shouldnt be too big of a problem. My question is, what are some good suggestions for wireless cameras in regards to their range and quality of picture (at least 720p). I tried a Lorex LNC226X and found the wireless range to be pretty poor. It would drop out often and not maintain even "ok" quality video.

Thanks for your time,

-Paul

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can run Ethernet do it... For Wifi look at the hikvision 2432 cube or 2532isw mini dome... You must specify the W or it won't be Wifi.

wwitpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply. Just for an added option, are there any outdoor versions of these?
The 2 you suggested seem to rate very well online.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The 2532 is outdoor rated... Note the ir Leds are weak on both of these... But will suffice in most scenarios...

wwitpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't even consider any of those cams...worst case use powerline or add a mini wireless bridge.

wwitpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
That's what I figured. It comes down to "you get what you pay for."
Just to get more information, why are you suggesting these instead of any other brands? Let's say we remove the wireless aspect of this, and only need a POE camera that will work outdoors.. would you recommend cameras only from the same brand?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the 85-200 price range (depending on model) I generally recommend hikvision or dahua, they are both proven brands. Hikvision is my personal preference though....
If you are going to go the poe route and dont need audio, sdcard or alarm inputs, i would go with the hikvision 2332 turret...it is a superb camera, easy to install and aim. Can be had from 95-160 depending on the source... it is available in a 2.8mm lens as well if you need a wide angle view...Herein also lies one benefit in hikvision..IF you run the hikvision in 1080p (2mp) instead of 3mp you can get a wider horizontal FOV...this is just how hikvision processes the resolution change...with dahua the only the vertical changes when you switch from 3mp to 2mp.. for example, a dahua with a 2.8mm lens will produce the same horizontal fov as a hikvision with a 4mm lens running in 1080p (more or less)...a hik with a 2.8mm in 1080p will be even wider...of course you lose clarity the wider you go...
The first foscam you linked to will only provide a 50 degree fov (in terrible vga)...the second provides 70 degrees outfitted with a 2.8mm lens in 720p...
By comparison, the 2332 turret will provide 75 degrees with a 4mm lens in 3mp mode, more in 2mp and in the 90's with a 2.8mm lens.
http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=9125

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am currently using wireless cameras in my rental house.

I am using two of those outdoor model which are both wireless and PoE - http://www.amazon.com/Sharx-Security-SCNC3905-Definition-Weatherproof/dp/B00IAZ3R0C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419896892&sr=8-1&keywords=sharx

And one of those indoor model which is wireless as well too - http://www.amazon.com/Sharx-Security-SCNC2900-Definition-monitoring/dp/B00IGFK7X6/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

I have test it on Blue Iris demo software and it works fine via wireless mode but I am using onboard DVR instead and if I need to quickly monitor then I use a Amazon Firestick with tinYCAM PRO apps which load all my 3 wireless camera fine.

The access point I am using is a Netgear WNDR3700 dual band, the onboard router is disabled since I am only using it as an access point but it works great with all my wireless camera.

Bill

ADK CCTV

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IWS is the way to go for wireless. We sell them for $260.00 shipped from Indiana. You pick the lens size. 2.8, 4 or 6mm

wwitpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help on this. I ended up going with the HIKVision DS-2CD2132 for this. Wireless just isnt a good idea for where some of these will be going. Went with HIKVision over Dahua due to ease of ordering and their support in case problems arise. Both models I was looking at should work well with Blue Iris. Just have to decide on when to upgrade to the new V4.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help on this. I ended up going with the HIKVision DS-2CD2132 for this. Wireless just isnt a good idea for where some of these will be going. Went with HIKVision over Dahua due to ease of ordering and their support in case problems arise. Both models I was looking at should work well with Blue Iris. Just have to decide on when to upgrade to the new V4.
Remember that the 2132 cannot be wall mounted (without a mount) if that is your intention. The 2332 turret can.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember that the 2132 cannot be wall mounted (without a mount) if that is your intention. The 2332 turret can.
I thought the 2332 also require a mount to install too unless I am mistaken? It what I saw on that video about mounts.

Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the 2332 also require a mount to install too unless I am mistaken? It what I saw on that video about mounts.

Bill

The mount in the video for the 2332 is an optional mount to house the pigtail and allow a direct connection via conduit..The camera can easily be mounted without it...the 2132 on the other hand is a two axis dome, not three axis..therefore, for wall mounting it will require a mount that keeps the camera on a horizontal plane such as this http://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Hikvision-DS-2CD2132-I-Outdoor-Security/dp/B00JBMFFA8
(the turret is also immune to ir reflection)...

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
The mount in the video for the 2332 is an optional mount to house the pigtail and allow a direct connection via conduit..The camera can easily be mounted without it...the 2132 on the other hand is a two axis dome, not three axis..therefore, for wall mounting it will require a mount that keeps the camera on a horizontal plane such as this http://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Hikvision-DS-2CD2132-I-Outdoor-Security/dp/B00JBMFFA8
(the turret is also immune to ir reflection)...
Ah thank you clearing it up for me. So a 2132 can be ceiling mounted without having to buy a separate mount then?

Bill

wwitpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing up the point about the mounts! Surprising they don't come with much as far as that's concerned.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing up the point about the mounts! Surprising they don't come with much as far as that's concerned.
They tend to not include anything that will add cost but not be used by everyone, like mounts and power supplies... The camera would just cost more if it did..

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you must rely on wifi, do consider storing to local media (SD card). This way even if wifi is spotty and drops out from time to time you still have a clean, flawless recording of video. Obviously the drawback of this is that if the camera is taken so is your recording, if it's the only one.

wwitpaul

n3wb
Reaction score
I decided against wireless for this install due to these going outside the building. I don't feel I could rely on wireless. Internal cameras seem to work alright.