Suggestions needed for PTZ install

jsho

n3wb
Reaction score
Gentleman, I'm in need of your expertise and wisdom. I've spent hours upon hours reading up on all things related to cameras. However I'm stuck on this one. I'm doing a camera install for a client who owns a gas station/truck stop. The client is determined to have a PTZ camera to cover the large area. The problem is that I can't see any way to mount this monster without it looking absolutely horrible. The camera in question is a Dahua 2MP Starlight PTZ with Auto Tracking (30x zoom) SD59230U-HNI. The property is rather large however it is oddly shaped making line of sight difficult. Also the gas pump canopy is extremely tall as making mounting it to the canopy worthless when it comes to viewing the pumps themselves. I already have one entire section of the property covered pretty well. This PTZ camera can cover the other half if mounted on the building however the owner does not want it on the building as it looks horrible. Anybody have any suggestions? Layout is attached. Being that it would more then likely need to be attached somewhere other then the building, running cable is a factor. Trying to avoid having to dig a trench to bury its cat6 feed.

Thanks,
J

Untitled02.png Untitled02.png Untitled04.png Untitled02.png Untitled04.png

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
one camera is not going to cut it. The problem with a ptz is that it will be point in the wrong direction when the action goes down. The business owner just has not been robbed enough, to understand what reasonable coverage is. You need to get a security expert or the local cops to talk to him.

This site needs a lot for cameras, Out side I can count at least 8+ cameras. for good coverage. Your location does not cover any of the gas pumps under the overhang.
1) three cameras on the build pointing out
2) one at each gas pump.
3) one at the pumps point at the building front door.
4) inside the building at least 4 more, two pointing to the door, one at the bathroom door, one or more at the cash register.

jsho

n3wb
Reaction score
Apologies for not being a bit more clear. The site has 15 other cameras. 8 which are outside and the remainder inside. Even the walk in cooler has one. Each register has it's own as well. The PTZ is the final camera left to be installed. The idea was to cover the other half of the property (the other set of pumps and open lot) with the PTZ until he decides to start the second phase meaning more cameras.

Attachments

jsho

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought about using a Ubiquiti NanoStation but all that I've read says to stay away from wi-fi. That would solve the digging of the trench, but the mounting of the camera still remains. I think I'm just going to bury a pole and mount it to the top.

bugmenot01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought about using a Ubiquiti NanoStation but all that I've read says to stay away from wi-fi. That would solve the digging of the trench, but the mounting of the camera still remains. I think I'm just going to bury a pole and mount it to the top.
air max CPE ....

Also I assumed you had a pole already

bugmenot01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what kind of angle would you get from the sign post that says pacfic.....

Also maybe from outer edge of the shell station canopy

jsho

n3wb
Reaction score
It's 28' to it's lowest point. You tell me? lol You can check it out for yourself using google maps. 1178 Mt St Helens Way NE, Castle Rock, WA 98611

Reaction score
Unfortunately no. The camera while not THAT big, does looks massive and out of place when mounted to the building. The store itself has a fairly low roof and an insanely high canopy compared to most gas stations. What’s really odd is that the canopy for the semi’s (the one that says “Pride”) is actually LOWER then the canopy for the cars. The property is on a little bit of an incline which isn’t easily noticeable which is why the canopies seem to be the same height when in reality there is a 2’ difference between the two. I’ve even thought about trying to disguise the camera somehow but couldn’t think of anything that wouldn’t seem out of place on the top of the building. This is the last part of the job and am stuck. Guess I’m digging a trench and mounting it to the pole as I originally thought. That blows, I was never found of digging lol. That is unless anyone has any other ideas?

Dlohse

n3wb
Reaction score
No way would I be digging a trench at a gas station. I'd get them to organize a trench. Any change of mounting something on the roof of the gas station?

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
You won't have any issues with NanoStations. I have a number of cameras that are connected by NanoStations. The older NSM5's and the newer NS-5AC's work perfectly, never an issue.

Your still going to have to get power or cable to the pole. Can you get power from the air/water unit (see pic)
I'd be very careful around those tank breater pipes
power.png

Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I would walk the site and see where you have power that you can tap into. Take a google screenshot and draw those areas on it, then post on here for us to tell you the best spot. If you are going to mount a PTZ in a spot where you already have a switch and network, you might as well install several stationary cameras to stay still.