Suggestions on a new kit system for a noob

dsutton

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Finishing up a home renovation and we're just about ready for wiring, which means I have to select a security system relatively quickly. My needs are pretty straightforward. I'd like to set up the following cameras:

1. Front door/porch
2. driveway/street
3. back patio door
4. (optional) back yard/gate (i have 2 gates, so ideally I'd have 2 cameras facing the gates, though i'd be okay with a wide view of the back yard in general).

I'm not going to set up my own Blue Iris implementation, so an NVR is what I need. I'm looking at kits from Costco and Amazon, but I'm not sure what to get, as there are so many questions to consider:

1. what resolution do I need?
2. should i get 8 channels instead of 4 so the system can grow with me?
3. Which company makes a better product (and whose software is better in general and for remote monitoring)? (was looking at Lorex (costco) and Swann)
4. do I need to make decisions about audio?
5. are there various quality levels of IR illumination?

I'd love to hear some suggestions for some solid, capable kits from Costco (or amazon, but I prefer costco) that would include a turret cam as well as 3-4 bullet cams and have adequate onboard storage. I would prefer not to have a separate PoE switch, but rather one that's integrated into the main unit.

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you dont need to select the system..you can simply run the wire...
There are serious drawbacks to the prepackaged systems...most notably there is no turret style option..look at the dahua turret from ali at 170..or wait until you are ready to actually install the cams. Systems with built in poe are often noisy.

dsutton

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, good idea. we will run wire this week. I'm not committed to a prepackaged system, and would be fine purchasing piecemeal. I will look at a dahua turret, but what about best bullet cams? How about these: https://www.amazon.com/Security-Reolink-65-100ft-Detection-RLC-410/dp/B010LH48F4?tag=ipctk-20 ??

And if I do go piecemeal, can anyone recommend a good NVR and a PoE switch?
Reolink is garbage. Dont buy bullet cameras unless you are prepared to install external IR...dont cheap out on the cameras. Buy the dahuas and use a dahua NVR.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OP-

Listen to the advice from fenderman...he knows what he is talking about!

Just run the wire and piece meal the system together of either hik or dahua turrets from Ali and also an nvr. You will save yourself a shit load of money and future frustration when the boxed systems look like crap:)

dsutton

n3wb
Reaction score
got it, thanks. Will do. I'll search the boards for NVR recommendations, unless you guys have some here... Thanks for all the help.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If u order from aliexpress it can take a couple of days to get the items.be sure to ask if they have in stock and ready to ship.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
got it, thanks. Will do. I'll search the boards for NVR recommendations, unless you guys have some here... Thanks for all the help.
I dont have any as i dont use standalone NVR's but make sure its dahua if you use dahua cams.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
U could download idmss app if u have android phone.just to look and feel the app.whenever I browse the internet on the pc I sometimes open up smartpss(dahua app) with 1 click of the app all cams connected to the dahua nvr show up.well most of the time I have to close app then reopen.no biggie it works.using windows 7.:) they also have for mac

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But the mobile app is a different story.when u open app cams don't open up automatic u have to open the nvr tab.no biggie but that's why there's tinycam pro:)

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
update:nevermind on what i said about dahua app(smartpss) for windows 7.cams open up each time 1st try.just did a test.:)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But the mobile app is a different story.when u open app cams don't open up automatic u have to open the nvr tab.no biggie but that's why there's tinycam pro:)

I used to dislike this feature too; until I was out in the middle of nowhere on a pretty low data connection and only wanted to check a single camera.. then I realized the wisdom in not auto-loading up a bunch of video streams on a device that has extremely variable connectivity..

if tapping on your phone burned any substantial calories; I think apple would have a nobel for curing the obesity epidemic by now.

Last edited:

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion on the NVR - Dahua 8 channel, 4K, $236 delivered
DaHua 4K Video Surveillance NVR NVR5208 4KS2 NVR5216 4KS2 NVR5232 4KS2 8/16/32 Channels H.265-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Add the 2MP Starlight vari-focus turrets (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) and/or bullets ( N25BB5Z(I)) and you'll be off to a great start and not regret buying crappy cameras to save a couple of hundred bucks.
is that nvr fanless? i checked the nvr pdf and it shows drawing of nvr with fan but real pic on aliexpress shows no fan.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good question, don't know ? It's on my short list for another location after the first of the year.. will have to research a bit more.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

dsutton

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, this is great. Was just thinking that I have a media center in the closet which could double as my NVR with Blue Iris or equivalent, couldn't it? That would save me a few hundred bucks. But would the load from the server from the cams overwhelm the server?