Suggestions on system

Ykdave

n3wb
Reaction score
Newbie to security cam systems, but not a complete dummy with technology lol

I’m looking at setting up a camera system given the high rate of crime in the area lately

my biggest head scratcher is that I want to be able to have several wired cameras at the house as well as several wired cameras in my shop a couple hundred feet away.

My thoughts are to run blue iris on my pc, which I can hardwire the cameras at the house simple enough. Is it as simple as using a wifi router to my shop to be able to hook up those cameras out there?

I’ve already got a wifi router in the shop, but I’d imagine it wouldn’t be wise to use that, rather a dedicated wifi router for the cameras to keep isolated from the internet

I’m thinking 3 cameras at the house and 2-3 at the shop will cover pretty much anything I need to see

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. Be sure to check the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Study, carefully on a real computer, the Cliff Notes in there. There is also a lot of other good information for sizing a system and keeping it safe on the internet, foil the "phone home" features. Read, study plan, ask questions, revise plans and test before spending money. It'll save you time, frustration and money in the end. There's tons of reviews here on cameras, and NVRs to help confuse you even more when trying to make a decision.

Look in the Cliff Notes. A dedicated WiFI/RF link would work quite well for your cameras. The "goto" is the Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M. You would install a PoE switch in your shop and use the Nano to link back to the house. It's a secure link.

Keep in mind that cameras are for surveillance, not security. If you want security install an alarm system first, either a Ring, Simpli Safe or do your own, hard wired, system.

Last edited:

Ykdave

n3wb
Reaction score
Alarms are useless for us rural guys. Avg response time is close to an hour for code 3 calls. They don’t even respond to alarms unless its called in as home invasion or something of that nature, even then it’s all over with before the cops show up anyways

More or less just looking to have 24/7 recording for evidence and to know whose kneecaps need adjustment. At least with cameras, I know when someone is in my yard when I’m not home and I can send a neighbour over to deal with it

I’ll do some more reading in the links you posted tonight and confuse myself haha!

Not too sure I’d want to spend money on an nvr if I can just use my desktop to do the same job at no cost other than software

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Blue Iris on a PC is probably the best solution for most people as long as you're willing to take the time to learn how it works. Really hard to beat it in terms of bang for your bucks. Just noticed you're in the "Great White North" so I understand your comments about an alarm. I'm rural here, too, but a loud, really loud, siren can chase them off before they get too "handy" with stuff plus alert neighbors immediately. Food for thought.

Ykdave

n3wb
Reaction score
Would need a pretty good siren for the neighbours to hear from 3/4 mile away (nearest one) unless they are outside in the middle of the night for some reason.

a lot of people in the area got suckered into fluents sales pitch and have useless setups. Cameras that take potato quality video, alarms that wouldn’t scare the cat and of course if you pay for the service they’ll call the cops 20min after the alarm goes off and initiate the cops minimum hour response time lol

these crackheads running around here aren’t deterred by anything, because they know the only time they’ll get caught is if the homeowner catches them. Alarms are ineffective and most people’s cameras either didn’t record, are covered in spiderwebs or are just plan junk that produce useless video quality

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Things vary from situation to situation. I have to indoor, 120db, sirens and when they go off you can't stay in the house. There's one outside, 120db again, and my neighbors hear it with no problem. Of course, they're a lot closer than 3/4 of a mile. The alarms, today, can also be configured to notify you through push notification, at least some of them can, or can be interfaced, through Blue Iris, to do the same thing and also send emails.