SUNBA PoE+ PTZ Camera Outdoor, 36X Optical Zoom 5MP

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
This video is about how it looks at night zoomed in.
however, my surveillance is daytime. and it has a great optical zoom and digital zoom. I'm getting all the surveillance footage that I need.
If all you need is daytime surveillance, then this camera will probably work great for you. But that nighttime footage (which I realize isn't yours) proves everything that has been said in this thread about resolution and sensor size. High resolution cameras don't perform well in low/no light situations unless they have HUGE sensors. A 4mp camera needs a sensor no smaller than 1/1.8", and a 8mp camera (4k) needs a sensor at least 1/1.2" to have any chance of providing decent low/no light footage. The footage in that video is certainly NOT what I would call decent low/no light performance.

Last edited:

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If all you need is daytime surveillance, then this camera will probably work great for you. But that nighttime footage (which I realize isn't yours) proves everything that has been said in this thread about resolution and sensor size. High resolution cameras don't perform well in low/no light situations unless they have HUGE sensors. A 4mp camera needs a sensor no smaller than 1/1.8", and a 8mp camera (4k) needs a sensor at least 1/1.2" to have any chance of providing decent low/no light footage. The footage in that video is certainly NOT what I would call decent low/no light performance.
I have 8 Dahua cameras so I know about the 2P
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E

I also know that my Sunba 5PM is awesome, the day zoomed footage is up close at over 1500 feet, and the nighttime footage is nice and bright. I can see everything within 1500 feet in like day time.

I followed a lot of posts on here about the 2mp but never thought the footage was great. and I tried cropping pics but once you try to enlarge for close up you cannot make out faces anyways. So I am liking the 5mp because you can crop and see faces perfectly. anyway JMOP

now with that said, all my Dahua cameras are still mounted on house, but now I have a 36x zoom which is working great over 1500 feet away from what I need to focus on. the video footage has been saved and ready for evidence. so I would say it served a purpose.

now if you have a 36x or better with a 5mp that does better, then let me know. Thanks

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 8 Dahua cameras so I know about the 2P
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E

I also know that my Sunba 5PM is awesome, the day zoomed footage is up close at over 1500 feet, and the nighttime footage is nice and bright. I can see everything within 1500 feet in like day time.

I followed a lot of posts on here about the 2mp but never thought the footage was great. and I tried cropping pics but once you try to enlarge for close up you cannot make out faces anyways. So I am liking the 5mp because you can crop and see faces perfectly. anyway JMOP

now with that said, all my Dahua cameras are still mounted on house, but now I have a 36x zoom which is working great over 1500 feet away from what I need to focus on. the video footage has been saved and ready for evidence. so I would say it served a purpose.

now if you have a 36x or better with a 5mp that does better, then let me know. Thanks
First, there isn't anything magical about the 2mp Dahua PTZ camera. It's simply a decent camera that holds to our sensor size/resolution guidelines (so it has good no/low light performance) and is relatively inexpensive. Add to that the auto-tracking available on the S1 versions and for the price it is a relative bargain, but to your point the overall resolution is on the low side. For most of us, we need a camera that provides usable, identifiable footage during all times of day and night, not just during the day. Therefore we are willing to sacrifice a little resolution to ensure we have usable nighttime footage without having to spend an arm and a leg. The 2mp PTZ model meet those needs and that's why it is so popular here. That being said, Dahua makes a 4mp PTZ camera with a 1/1.8" sensor which also meets our general sensor size/resolution guidelines, but obviously offers much higher resolution. The only downside is that the price is much higher than 2mp model. There are plenty of other PTZ cameras that are even better than that, but again the price will be even higher.

Second, "36x zoom" is completely relative. 36 times of what? It's like saying if you got a 36x raise at your job, you would be making more money than me if I only received a 25x raise. That statement may or may not be true, but simply stating 36x or 25x isn't enough information to actually know because we have no idea at what income level either of us started at. I'm not trying to knock the "reach" of your camera, but "36x" isn't a measurable detail that you can compare to other cameras.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did look up the zoom of that camera and compared the focal lengths to other popular cams in post #38. The Sunba top end focal length is 162mm compared to 120mm of the popular 49225:

But the MP discussion is still relevant. Both this 5MP Sunba and the 2MP 49225 use the same Sony 1/2.8" Starvis sensor, so the 49225 will have further reach at night as the 5MP will need over double the light of the 2MP being on the same sensor.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did look up the zoom of that camera and compared the focal lengths to other popular cams in post #38. The Sunba top end focal length is 162mm compared to 120mm of the popular 49225:

But the MP discussion is still relevant. Both this 5MP Sunba and the 2MP 49225 use the same Sony 1/2.8" Starvis sensor, so the 49225 will have further reach at night as the 5MP will need over double the light of the 2MP being on the same sensor.
yeah, but when you need resolution for identification at over 1500 feet, then MP is the way to go. I am very pleased with the video and photos derived from the videos that I'm capturing. I think 150 feet is a long distance, and the photos are crisp and clear. As I stated I have the 2MPs fixed to the house. but now I have a secret weapon. .

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First, there isn't anything magical about the 2mp Dahua PTZ camera. It's simply a decent camera that holds to our sensor size/resolution guidelines (so it has good no/low light performance) and is relatively inexpensive. Add to that the auto-tracking available on the S1 versions and for the price it is a relative bargain, but to your point the overall resolution is on the low side. For most of us, we need a camera that provides usable, identifiable footage during all times of day and night, not just during the day. Therefore we are willing to sacrifice a little resolution to ensure we have usable nighttime footage without having to spend an arm and a leg. The 2mp PTZ model meet those needs and that's why it is so popular here. That being said, Dahua makes a 4mp PTZ camera with a 1/1.8" sensor which also meets our general sensor size/resolution guidelines, but obviously offers much higher resolution. The only downside is that the price is much higher than 2mp model. There are plenty of other PTZ cameras that are even better than that, but again the price will be even higher.

Second, "36x zoom" is completely relative. 36 times of what? It's like saying if you got a 36x raise at your job, you would be making more money than me if I only received a 25x raise. That statement may or may not be true, but simply stating 36x or 25x isn't enough information to actually know because we have no idea at what income level either of us started at. I'm not trying to knock the "reach" of your camera, but "36x" isn't a measurable detail that you can compare to other cameras.
so at over 1500 feet what would be good?
maybe seeing lug nuts on a truck? plate numbers on the trucks, the logos, and writing on the trucks, or seeing a person's face in detail, or maybe what packages are on the trucks? so far I have these checked.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, but when you need resolution for identification at over 1500 feet, then MP is the way to go. I am very pleased with the video and photos derived from the videos that I'm capturing. I think 150 feet is a long distance, and the photos are crisp and clear. As I stated I have the 2MPs fixed to the house. but now I have a secret weapon. .
To be fair, it is the optical focal length of the Sunba that allows it to work at that distance, not the MP. The 2MP Dahua's you have do not have the same focal length as this Sunba, so it isn't a fair comparison.

For IDENTIFY, the ZE at full zoom maxes out around 30-40 feet daytime (20-30 night) and the Z12E at full zoom maxes out at around 175 feet or so daytime (75-100 feet or so night) for IDENTIFY purposes, but both can see further in the dark if enough light is available.

I have the 2MP 49225 PTZ and its 4MP brother the 49425 PTZ. Both cams are identical and on the same 1/2.8" sensor - only difference is one is 2MP and the other is 4MP. At night time, the 2MP has further range than the 4MP.

That is the counter that folks here are trying to make. We get it that your primary focus is daytime, so yes 5MP on a 1/2.8" sensor can work. But if someone wants nighttime performance (with motion), in addition to the proper focal length for the distance they are trying to IDENTIFY, the proper MP/sensor ratio is key. Now if your nighttime surveillance is parked vehicles and someone not moving around, then yeah you could auto the shutter and be real slow and yeah you can extend the range at night under that scenario.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see some day and night footage of the camera zoomed in and out.

A picture or in this case a video would speak a thousand words

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Further, I would like to see a test that I asked for earlier.

I would like to see an image at night with a shutter speed of 1/2,000. And it can be a still image with no motion for this test at 1/2,000 shutter speed.

In my experiences, this is a test that can determine if the firmware is solid and will adhere to user set parameters or if it will ignore any settings the user sets in favor providing a nice bright static image (which comes at a cost of blur/ghost motion).

This is the first test I do with any camera I get.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nah we aren't picking on him as I am sure his daytime shots are amazing and he has said many times it captures what he needs. My Sunba holds it own during the day.

The comments posted here are more for future readers and making the point that if nighttime is someones focus, then there may be a better camera.

Until we see motion at night with the camera, we have to assume it will fare like any other camera not on an ideal MP/sensor ratio. The official Sunba night video linked earlier showed me issues and concerns that everything was cranked up and set to bright static image over quality motion capture.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see some day and night footage of the camera zoomed in and out.

A picture or in this case a video would speak a thousand words
OK, I woke up at 1 AM to take some video footage of some deer and possum. what format can I upload on here? or do I have to upload somewhere else first? The footage is on my property and my neighbors, 10 acres away. I think the close-up footage is outstanding, crisp, and clear.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nah we aren't picking on him as I am sure his daytime shots are amazing and he has said many times it captures what he needs. My Sunba holds it own during the day.

The comments posted here are more for future readers and making the point that if nighttime is someones focus, then there may be a better camera.

Until we see motion at night with the camera, we have to assume it will fare like any other camera not on an ideal MP/sensor ratio. The official Sunba night video linked earlier showed me issues and concerns that everything was cranked up and set to bright static image over quality motion capture.
what format can I upload on here? or do I have to upload somewhere else first? The footage is on my property and my neighbors, 10 acres away. I think the close-up footage is outstanding, crisp, and clear.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can usually use the Insert Video icon in the toolbar as long as the video isn't too large.

Otherwise, some have posted to youtube or dropped it into OneDrive or Google Drive and provided a link.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can usually use the Insert Video icon in the toolbar as long as the video isn't too large.

Otherwise, some have posted to youtube or dropped it into OneDrive or Google Drive and provided a link.
they are on my Dahua NVR how to convert them?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW - That does look great. But also not a lot motion to really tell. But for minimal movement that is much better than my Sunba does.

They have come a long way since my Sunba.

What settings is the shutter - auto or did you force a shutter.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
WOW - That does look great. But also not a lot motion to really tell. But for minimal movement that is much better than my Sunba does.

They have come a long way since my Sunba.

What settings is the shutter - auto or did you force a shutter.
Thanks, I have not set anything it is all Auto, I wish I knew how to Manually focus, and play with the adjustments. But I do not know what they all are? I'm just a hope it was out of the box type of guy.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice! How far away was the possum in feet or yards (estimate) and please don't say acres.
I am impressed with that Sunba.