Surplus eBay Server?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So what about these refurbished servers that are available for a few hundred? What would be the critical specifications that would produce a good system? Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So what about these refurbished servers that are available for a few hundred? What would be the critical specifications that would produce a good system? Thanks.
most of them are powerhogs and dont have quicksync support...not only are they worthless, they have a negative value..see wiki for specs you should be looking for.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting. Yes, these surplus/refurbished servers generally have E5 family Xeon processors which lack QuickSync. The Xeon E3 family has QuickSync but those servers don't seem as impressive spec-wise (massive number of cores/ GB of RAM). Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The latest generation of Xeons changed the naming scheme a little. The "E3" series is now just "E" (for "Entry"). But the naming is really all that changed. These entry-level Xeons are still mostly equivalent to i5 or i7 CPUs from 6-12 months earlier, with slightly different pricing and ECC memory support. There's not a lot of reason to buy one over an i5 or i7, especially with the 9th-gen chips coming out very soon and upping the core count again.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, it does look like the E3-xxxx became the E-xxxx, however the E-xxxx are not to be confused with the older series Exxxx (E with no dash).

So if the ideal Blue Iris setup uses I5/I7 integrated graphics what about using a laptop?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Laptop are not designed to run 24/7 and CPU performance is much less than their desktop counterparts.

Tim TAN

n3wb
Reaction score
HI all : I am looking into building my own NVR with a Dell Optiplex running Blue Iris; have been reading the forum with interest.

I have a question :

If I were to get a Dell Optiplex in a micro form factor, it will only accommodate 1 HDD or 1 SSD. HDD is usually 500GB and the SSD is 256 GB. The reason I want to go this route is so that the Dell Optiplex casing can fit in a server rack. I have been seeing that Dell PowerEdge servers can be noisy!

If I wanted to store all the footage from 16 cameras on an 8 or 12 TB NAS, will connecting the Optiplex to the NAS via a GB switch be fast enough?
If it is going to be a problem, can blue Iris be configured to do a scheduled transfer of the footage to the NAS, etc?

thanks in advance for your advice.

Tim

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
HI all : I am looking into building my own NVR with a Dell Optiplex running Blue Iris; have been reading the forum with interest.

I have a question :

If I were to get a Dell Optiplex in a micro form factor, it will only accommodate 1 HDD or 1 SSD. HDD is usually 500GB and the SSD is 256 GB. The reason I want to go this route is so that the Dell Optiplex casing can fit in a server rack. I have been seeing that Dell PowerEdge servers can be noisy!

If I wanted to store all the footage from 16 cameras on an 8 or 12 TB NAS, will connecting the Optiplex to the NAS via a GB switch be fast enough?
If it is going to be a problem, can blue Iris be configured to do a scheduled transfer of the footage to the NAS, etc?

Tim
Why not get an Optiplex small form factor and stick it on a rack-mounted shelf? They have room for an SSD and a 3.5" hard drive. It is best to record locally over SATA. If you must record to a external storage, I recommend getting a second NIC dedicated to to the NAS and use iSCSI so it appears as a local drive to the BI PC.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems like there is a glut of sub-$250 Optiplex i7-3770 units.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I have a question :

Tim
note the micro pc, aside from no room for proper local storage uses the low power T processor...