surveillance for my church

KenCT

n3wb
Reaction score
And I haven't been to a church yet that did NOT have a teenage Wozniak wanabe that thinks anyone over 30 is a moron and messes with the PC and the network.
:rofl:

That was probably me about 20 years ago. :wave:
At this point, I can still out-tech our teenagers, but as I've now crossed over that ancient threshold of 40, it's only a matter of time...

But this is yet another reason why we keep the physical computers off-limits and the WiFi locked. They can use LTE on their smart phones if they want to get online.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I'm possibly retracting this question. I learned that when contractors built our church building, they installed a bunch of cable runs with old analog cables. I think it's RG59 style Siamese cables. I will be heading over to the building tomorrow and will try to confirm.
As other's have said the IP based products are better, but CVI has it's place.

What you need to do is figure out:
-where you want cameras
-where coax cabling may currently be installed
-how difficult it would be to get cabling to the locations you want cameras

Then you can evaluate what makes sense.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That was probably me about 20 years ago. At this point, I can still out-tech our teenagers, but as I've now crossed over that ancient threshold of 40, it's only a matter of time....
Time marches on, brother!

But this is yet another reason why we keep the physical computers off-limits and the WiFi locked. They can use LTE on their smart phones if they want to get online.
You got that right!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
All of the same remote/alerting/mobile features are standard on the Dahua DVR's as with their XVR's. As with a PC based system, for security use a VPN for remote access as opposed to port forwarding as mentioned above.

1080P XVR7204/08/16A | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology
4K HCVR7204/08AN-4K - Dahua Technology
Lots of other models - HDCVI Recorder - Dahua Technology
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products_category/hdcvi-recorder-417.html
Like NVR's much comes down to recording resolution (1080p, 4MP, 4K) and HD capacity. I run 8 2MP cameras at home, continuous recording (along with MD and IVS/Tripwire) at Max 6144 bitrate and 30FPS. I get about 2 weeks recording on two 4TB drives.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember with the XVR and HCVR series you arent limiting yourself to CVI cameras. You can use any mix of IP and CVI cams.

KenCT

n3wb
Reaction score
All of the same remote/alerting/mobile features are standard on the Dahua DVR's as with their XVR's. As with a PC based system, for security use a VPN for remote access as opposed to port forwarding as mentioned above.

1080P XVR7204/08/16A | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology
4K HCVR7204/08AN-4K - Dahua Technology
Lots of other models - HDCVI Recorder - Dahua Technology
Like NVR's much comes down to recording resolution (1080p, 4MP, 4K) and HD capacity. I run 8 2MP cameras at home, continuous recording (along with MD and IVS/Tripwire) at Max 6144 bitrate and 30FPS. I get about 2 weeks recording on two 4TB drives.

What about using something like the new Dahua LR1002 Coax extender? Looks like this could let me use existing coax cables, but still use the ePoE cameras?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about using something like the new Dahua LR1002 Coax extender? Looks like this could let me use existing coax cables, but still use the ePoE cameras?
That would add $60-100+ per camera as a pair of them is required. This is why @fenderman said it's more economical to just pay to have a new cable installed.

If you want to use the coax, cvi cameras are the only practical way. But before you get too hung up on this you need to confirm where the existing cables are and how useful their locations are. There are a lot of ways that could play out: maybe some prewired locations are awful, maybe some are really helpful because they'd be particularly hard to rewire.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure those should work, then go with the 5216 NVR and stick with the IP cams...but why ePoE cams with relatively short distances?

BTW the HDCVI stuff will go 300-500 meters easy.

Maybe worth consideration, if you plan on monitoring the cameras during services and such, CVI has no effective latency, IP has a bit, though perhaps not enough to make a big difference...Ive not measured it but it is obvious on our HOA cameras at either end of the short street.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sure those should work, then go with the 5216 NVR and stick with the IP cams...but why ePoE cams with relatively short distances?

BTW the HDCVI stuff will go 300-500 meters easy.
I don't think the output of those coax converters is 802.3af, the spec page for the converter specifically mentioned ePoE. I doubt @KenCT was really paying attention to the difference. In many cases actually running new wires does make sense.

No point really in speculating when we don't even know what he's got to work with.

KenCT

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update... I ordered a package of Dahua gear from @EMPIRETECANDY the other week and it arrived in Connecticut 2 days later. Quite impressive coming all the way from China, considering it was free shipping! I've only done a bit of unboxing, installing hard drives to the NVR at this point, but have some time scheduled tomorrow to start connecting things and setting it all up. Should be fun!

IMG_1638.jpg

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Desired Capabilities:
Primary objective is to be able to monitor the property while the building is occupied during church services. Our security guy MUST be able to monitor camera feeds from an iPad or other tablet.
G'day Ken and welcome to the forums.Bloody Active Shooters. Ken I've said it before and I'll say it again. Cameras are one part of the overall security effort. One of the simplest things that will protect the flock in the event of an active shooter is not a camera, but a physical barrier which will prevent access to the facility, and prevent them seeing the people inside. That may be as simple as a couple of throw bolts on the doors and some drapes. Given JC was a chippy you will probably have at least on in the congregation and I'm sure someone will be able to sew.

Cameras are nice but they are far down on the list of things you should have. Lots of fire extinguishers/ a fire sprinkler system is a really important security measure. It's no good locking the bad guy(s) outside if they just set fire to the building with everyone in it. First aid kits and by that I mean gunshot trauma kits, not a couple of band aids. Tourniquets, chest seals, quickclot gauze, trauma pads, space blankets, collapsible litters, and an automatic external defibrillator. If you have nurses, doctors or paramedics in the flock you can add in more advanced equipment.

Plan, plan, plan, plan a little more, and conduct training, lots of training. Know how to use the fire extinguishers and first aid kits. Have an evacuation plan for fire. I see you have several disabled parking spots. What's the plan to evacuate them in a fire? Have a plan on how you are going to conduct your lock down. Give people specific taskings every week to avoid the bystander effect. Whose job is it to call the Police? How are you calling the police? Land line? Mobile? Panic alarm back to a security company? What is your local law enforcement's worse case scenario for response time? Do you plan to liaise with them so that your measures, and what they plan to do will tie in. Do you plan to drill together? Once the bad guy is dead how do you intend to triage and evacuate the wounded? Where are your medical facilities and what capacity do they have? Have you identified a landing zone for a medivac helicopter? Are you in a small town? Will you need to transport some of the wounded yourself? Will the weather affect how you do things?

If you have any concealed carry types in the congregation put a leash on them. Good guys with guns look just like bad guys with guns to responding law enforcement. They may have a role to play should your offender want to try his luck kicking in the door but don't let them play hero and run around trying to start a firefight. Once again plan and train their role into your overall solution. This is by no means an extensive list, and your level of preparation will reflect your individual circumstances.

The cameras will help you see the bad guy when he is coming, but if that ever happens make sure you have a plan to deal with it.