Suspect checking doors at night - Overview car cam

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi, I was just reviewing last night footage before I leave for work this morning and saw this on the camera

Any recommendation on What other camera could have done better or possibly setting.

This camera is set for night time overview for cars. I think it did a pretty amazing job however Any tips of even raising the bar and taking it one step further.. Like adding IR or tweaking the actual camera settings more ?

This is a 5231E-Z12E

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, the overall image quality was pretty good .. especially considering that's an overview cam. More zoom would have helped, but that would have narrowed the picture (which isn't what you're after with an overview camera). Curious to see what others recommend!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I was just reviewing last night footage before I leave for work this morning and saw this on the camera

Any recommendation on What other camera could have done better or possibly setting.

This camera is set for night time overview for cars. I think it did a pretty amazing job however Any tips of even raising the bar and taking it one step further.. Like adding IR or tweaking the actual camera settings more ?

This is a 5231E-Z12E
Hi @tech101

Thanks for sharing that.

I would be inclined to add a starlight+ or similar camera which can be kept in color during the night to be able to add color data.
( imho it is very useful to tell the authorities what color shoes, pants, jackets / hoodies the suspects were wearing. )

Also, I would be inclined to run a underground PVC pipe and a few cat6 lines to the mailbox and add a camera or 2 to the mailbox in addition to an alarm sensor to when the mailbox is opened.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with @looney2ns and @mat200 above

Decide first what the primary purpose of the camera is. If Overview, it did it's job and is not expected to provide small detail.

If you want it to primarily watch the mailbox and get facial ID within say 5-10 ft of it, I'd zoom more and possibly add IR, or place a camera closer if the distance warrants. Then it would no longer be an Overview camera.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you bigred, Looney and everyone else. I love it how IPcamtalk community always are so helpful in everyway possible. I really do appreciate that a lot and I want everyone to know this kind of help is really sometime can cost several hundred if not thousand to someone to help you or guide you to right direction so thank you everyone. I agree with Looney and Bigred Overview camera has done beyond what it was designed for initially in this case and other cases i have had in the past. I have now ordered an updated version of this camera and will be using this to dial in further to get some facial recognition.

That bounced glare is from IR light from that tree I will try to cut it down more this weekend its my neighbors tree but he is pretty cool.

I am also thinking of adding camera to the Mailbox for this very purpose any recommendation on what kind of camera small but good quality which can work well ?

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Both look about 14. Pretty good shots though considering the distance. I reckon Law Enforcement could just abut id the kid in the cap if known to them.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Both look about 14. Pretty good shots though considering the distance. I reckon Law Enforcement could just abut id the kid in the cap if known to them.
Unfortunately I do not think COPS in California can do much thanks to our laws and politicians :(

Prop 47

This was passed back in 2014 by voters, Lot of these criminals are just getting away with it and that is why we are seeing all kind of crime on the rise. For ex my neighbor car got broken into 3-4 times within 2 months in the city.

Anyhow I hope next time we can vote these politicians out so we can have better laws in the book. Until then I will keep on submitting these incidents to law enforcement so they can ID some of them and have them on there Radar at-least if nothing else.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately I do not think COPS in California can do much thanks to our laws and politicians :(

Prop 47

This was passed back in 2014 by voters, Lot of these criminals are just getting away with it and that is why we are seeing all kind of crime on the rise. For ex my neighbor car got broken into 3-4 times within 2 months in the city.

Anyhow I hope next time we can vote these politicians out so we can have better laws in the book. Until then I will keep on submitting these incidents to law enforcement so they can ID some of them and have them on there Radar at-least if nothing else.
You need to be complaining to the Police Chief, the mayor, your local tv stations, and the city council every time something happens. Also calling your so called state representatives every time and complain. Most of them have NO CLUE what really goes on.
And move the hell out of Commifornia. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
We don't have the same law over here, but the situation is pretty much the same.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The police here in the uk aren’t also remotely interested in pursuing these types of attempted thefts.

We have groups of people like this roaming the streets at night checking cars, they must do this most nights as I once forgot to lock my car and they rifled through it that same night stealing my parking change.