suspicious vehicle - looks like they wanted to steal my package

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is the package being delivered.

And the vehicle pulling in, pulling out, then pointing at my camera and driving off. Notice they did not do a U turn. They kept driving in the same direction as they started.

Here is a picture of the plates in case anyone recognizes it. This is San Antonio Texas by the way.

Attachments

tsutton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like they've parked at the wrong driveway, perhaps a visitor trying to visit their friends?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like they've parked at the wrong driveway, perhaps a visitor trying to visit their friends?
Maybe, I mean it looks like the point at my camera around the 25 second mark of the video. I'm pretty open minded so it's def possible. I know I need more cams with some more zoom on them. I also want to get one of the boobie cameras to have one pointing at the stoop.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kind of weak on pointing at your camera imho. Anything's possible. Pay attention to posts on stolen packages on nextdoor if any mention a similar vehicle forward to the police. More likely someone just turned into the wrong driveway. You don't see package thieves pull into driveways that often, possibly because they realize they could get blocked in. In the same vane, many car door checkers leave a door open (presumably they've watched an episode of bait car).

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to that, similar to what I said earlier in a post by (who else) @lulu5kamz here.

It's only going to get worse as more and more online vendors are delivering packages to doorsteps.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@looney2ns @tsutton @tangent @TonyR

Any idea why the drivers faces look so blurry. I can't quite figure it out. I thought maybe the guy was covering his face with his hand but it does seem odd that from the front windshield they are very hard to see. Maybe this is normal? I mean I can vaguely make out my face and my fiance's when we pull up, it seems more blurry than normal. Any ideas guys? Or is it just me.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well this is awkward. I went back and looked at footage of me pulling in this afternoon. My fiance is parked in front and me in back. My face looks pretty much as blurry.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think Tangent means whenever someone ransacks a persons car, many times they do not close the door when they get inside the other persons car out of fear of it being locked remotely by some type of sting operation.
yep. I've noticed on many of the videos here when someone is stealing stuff from a car the dome light stays on indicating a door is likely open. Bait cars don't even have to be triggered remotely, the inside door handles could simply be disabled. If I were setting up a 'bait car' I'd try to park it on a hill so that the door wants to close all by itself :)

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
yep. I've noticed on many of the videos here when someone is stealing stuff from a car the dome light stays on indicating a door is likely open. Bait cars don't even have to be triggered remotely, the inside door handles could simply be disabled. If I were setting up a 'bait car' I'd try to park it on a hill so that the door wants to close all by itself :)
I've seen episodes of Bait Car where the person stealing the car never closes the driver's door, for fear of being locked inside. They drive off with the stolen car with the driver's door held open.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard moving car alarms around 2 or 3 am. Kind of funny to hear it get louder and then quieter honking all the way.

Reaction score
Pay attention to posts on stolen packages on nextdoor if any mention a similar vehicle forward to the police.
Ditto on this advice. NextDoor is a great tool for coordinating reports on these types of crimes. We just had a guy arrested who was stealing items from peoples' front porches all over the midtown area, shoving them into his Nissan Acura, and selling them for drugs. He got so desperate that he was stealing hanging plants and cheap lawn furniture. Once everyone on NextDoor realized that the white Nissan sedan on everyone's Ring and Nest cameras was the same car, people started watching for it. Eventually someone got a license plate number, and the cops picked him up.

The irony is that my own LPR system had picked up his plates two months earlier, when he hit two of my neighbors. He had to drive past my house to do it. The problem was that neither neighbor had any idea when the crime took place, beyond a 7 hour window in the middle of the night. I had a list of 50 possible plates, but no idea which car it was. After he was caught I checked my records, and there his plate was, at 1:30 a.m. going by my house.

So the moral of this story is that I have been telling my neighbors to get some camera, ANY camera, and install it. Even if the picture quality isn't very good, knowing what time the crime took place is extremely valuable. As long as one person on the street has an LPR system, the neighbors can rely on it, too.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
We are going through the same thing in my neighborhood. I have pictures of people walking or driving by but without cameras showing an actual crime or a witness the police cannot do much. People are slowly adding cameras in our neighborhood including the Ring. We also have NextDoor and it is a great help.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I posted on nextdoor but haven't seen much action as far as thefts. Which I guess is a good thing.

Reaction score
We are going through the same thing in my neighborhood. I have pictures of people walking or driving by but without cameras showing an actual crime or a witness the police cannot do much. People are slowly adding cameras in our neighborhood including the Ring. We also have NextDoor and it is a great help.
Lately I have been telling people in my neighborhood who balk at the price of a Ring or Next camera to get a Wyze Cam instead. I consider the Wyze Cam to be the "gateway drug" of security cameras. It's nothing special by itself, but it does work, and it's dirt cheap. My hope is that it will encourage my neighbors to upgrade to better cameras once they try it.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The nextdoor for our neighbor hood has become nothing more than people trying to sell their crap, and lost dogs and cats. I am still wondering how a small neighborhood like this has so many damn lost cats and dogs.