SWANN 4K cams - are they all 20 fps ?

Reaction score
Hi there,
Hopefully a good question, that SWANN refuses to answer ( through email, and all social media ).

Do the new SWANN cameras that now have integrated are only recording video at 20 frames a second ? I purchased a Swann brand camera from Costco a few years ago ( without audio ) and the video is crystal clear,
but the video is far from smooth ( it's 20 fps ) I live with it, because the video is just super sharp. ( somebody told me that the Swann cameras are actually another brand name, but I don't recall what it is )

With audio no integrated, I'm just wondering what the fps is on all the Swann 4K cameras, I'm guessing that with audio, this put more stress on the CAT 5 or 6 transfers, and so these cameras are still only 20 fps.

Thanks for any info. This isn't a deal breaker for me, but it's frustrating trying to find into on a product and the company that makes it refuses to divulge any real specs.

This is one of the models I was looking at - at Costco. Swann 4K camera with audio - model: nhd-885msb

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With audio no integrated, I'm just wondering what the fps is on all the Swann 4K cameras, I'm guessing that with audio, this put more stress on the CAT 5 or 6 transfers, and so these cameras are still only 20 fps.
Hi ipcameraman

Swann branded camera could have been from a couple of OEMs.

Cat5e/Cat6 and ethernet specs allows plenty of bandwidth for 4K video streaming as twistedddx notes.

The issue is typically that customers want more affordable kits and thus often kits include lower powered ( processing ) and lower featured camera models. It is simple business, which bells and whistles will sell more product? In the case of that kit - it appears that PIR was more important than fps.

That noted, "action camera level" of fps really is not as important for most security camera applications as you are looking to get enough info about what happened ( 15 fps works well enough for that most of the time ) as well as good quality ID images ( more important than smooth motion capture ).

So ask yourself - would you have bought a kit that cost 2x the price you paid to get 30 fps? ( NVR must be able to handle that, as well as the cameras - which means more processing power in both is required, as well as a larger HDD to storage the same length of time )