Swann CONV16-85806B2FB-US vs Lorex TN81828B8

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CAT5E UTP TIA/EIA-568B 4PR 24AWG CM (UL) E475339 PATCH CABLE

cant get a weight yet as I dont have a scale. I am considering getting CAT6 and running that. Might have to put two POE switches and run them to a single line. If I can use two rooms that (1. has a router, and 2nd has an ethernet port and run them in there, that might help me from having to run a lot of wires outside)
HI @pclist18

Marking on cable look good.. was looking if it was marked CCA, which you do not want

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
@mat200 - any opinion on whether or not i should spend the money and time getting cat6 with new connectors, or use the cat5 that the kit comes with? Also if this is good for how i was thinking to have them ran?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 - any opinion on whether or not i should spend the money and time getting cat6 with new connectors, or use the cat5 that the kit comes with? Also if this is good for how i was thinking to have them ran?
I like to run bulk cat6 cable... see the various thread on that. We may have notes in the cliff notes.

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
Think I might tackle this wiring myself. I have a few points in the house I think will work.
Initially was thinking of using POE splitters to run less wires to the NVR, but it looks like if they’re connected to the network in anyway, they’ll transmit to the NVR.
So if I add a mesh network like the tplink deco m9, these have Ethernet ports to the network. I could easily run to the ceiling of my garage, and to my attic where the furnace is. And add a third somewhere else that’s needed.
Can anyone offer advice or thoughts?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I understand your plan, do not use wifi for transmitting camera traffic. You will be disappointed.
Use good POE switchs, run all cams to the POE switch. Then connect one cable to your home network.
Connect NVR to same home network with one cable from it's network port.....not the poe ports.
Do not run camera traffic through a router, add a separate switch if needed, and connect it to the router.

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
If I understand your plan, do not use wifi for transmitting camera traffic. You will be disappointed.
Use good POE switchs, run all cams to the POE switch. Then connect one cable to your home network.
Connect NVR to same home network with one cable from it's network port.....not the poe ports.
Do not run camera traffic through a router, add a separate switch if needed, and connect it to the router.
yeah I guess it would still be WiFi at that rate. Back to finding a decent Poe switch.

pclist18

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all - looking for some straight up, self-guided assistance here.

Quote for $1200 to run the 8 cameras, install in soffit using my included 100ft cat 5e (8x), down behind gutters exterior, through crawl, and out to the NVR in Laundry room. Said thats only way they have seen it ran and done on a 2 story home (unless 1 story home through attic)

That being said, the wires being exposed to elements and exterior exposure of being cut, and if the wire is/isnt rated for exterior use. Thoughts please?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all - looking for some straight up, self-guided assistance here.

Quote for $1200 to run the 8 cameras, install in soffit using my included 100ft cat 5e (8x), down behind gutters exterior, through crawl, and out to the NVR in Laundry room. Said thats only way they have seen it ran and done on a 2 story home (unless 1 story home through attic)

That being said, the wires being exposed to elements and exterior exposure of being cut, and if the wire is/isnt rated for exterior use. Thoughts please?
HI @pclist18

DIY

Seriously, if you want it done to your specs - DIY.

Use bulk cat6 / 5e cable.. quality cable... see the notes

Or keep looking for cabling pros...