Swann NVR

bteigrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, been reading this forum for a while and really appreciate all the help available from a community like this. I have a Costco special Swann NVR and was wondering if the community could help me find the comparable Hikvision model. The reason...I was thinking up upgrading the firmware to Hikvision to benefit from a better app available to the Hikvision FW.

Upgrade few on swann NVR

I have read this thread multiple times a I am confident that between myself and a friend, we can accomplish this, but just need some help knowing what is the compatible Hikvision unit to at least give me a starting point as for finding the correct firmware to download and try. Thanks in advance everyone.

bteigrob

n3wb
Reaction score
LOL i guess y'all need to know what Swann unit, attached is an image. It says it is a Swann NVR16-7200. I have done a little research and believe the comparable Hikvision is DS-8116HFHI-SL but just not sure. Thanks again.

Attachments

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I pretty much had the same question before making a decision on what to purchase. I didn't get an answer either. Most people on here are Hikvision or Dahua users. Try flashing it and let us know how it works out. Make sure you have the firmware for the Swann incase the Hikvision firmware doesn't work out. I'm really intrigued to see if this will work.

Last edited:

bteigrob

n3wb
Reaction score
yeah, I am thinking of just biting the bullet and trying it. I am fortunate that I have another unit that would be enough for security on the property until this was up and running

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will probably need to do it with TFTP from what I researched. So if you didn't know that get familiar with it. It seems pretty straightforward. You will definitely need it if the firmware bricks your NVR.

bteigrob

n3wb
Reaction score
yes, I use the putty terminal for other things at my office and I will check if that would work to use that, or see about getting Hikvision tftp terminal. It sounds like Hikvision doesn't make it available online, but I am sure individuals are willing to share on this forum.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes, I use the putty terminal for other things at my office and I will check if that would work to use that, or see about getting Hikvision tftp terminal. It sounds like Hikvision doesn't make it available online, but I am sure individuals are willing to share on this forum.
I grabbed it from here: Tech Tips & Tricks: Hikvision TFTP Tool. I don't know why they took it down in the first place but at least it is still accessible from others.

hoops

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi bteigrob, I have a Swann NVR16-7200 also. How did you get on with your Swann NVR16-7200 - Is it a comparable Hikvision is DS-8116HFHI-SL ?

bteigrob

n3wb
Reaction score
hoops, I have not attempted this yet. But trying to catch up with other little projects at the office. As soon as I do try it, I will update this thread. Thanks for the interest though :)

daxmatt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also interested,,come on hurry up,:).
I just spent weeks de-bricking my hic nvr/dvr,using tftp and hyperterminal,with the help of others on here ,i eventually got it to work,was very chuffed with myself afterwards.