Upgrade few on swann NVR

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a swann NVR purchased from Costco. Since it is a rebranded hikvision can the fw be upgraded/flashed with newer hikvision fw?

thanks!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a swann NVR purchased from Costco. Since it is a rebranded hikvision can the fw be upgraded/flashed with newer hikvision fw?

thanks!!
Are you having a specific issue with the current firmware? Have you checked with swann to see if they have an update?

Reaction score
Are you having a specific issue with the current firmware? Have you checked with swann to see if they have an update?
no specific issues with the current FW however i do have issues with the motion detection setup between the NVR and the cameras themselves from time to time. Just not too happy with the Swann FW, wanted to know if it possible to flash with hikvision fw.

THANKS!!

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I helped a friend do this a while back and yes it is possible. The model if I recall only shows "16ch 3MP NVR" or "8ch 3MP NVR" which is actually an "nvr16-7200" and "nvr8-7200" respectively. As a Hikvision, it's actually just the DS-76xx-E1/E2 series. If yours isn't the same, you can still follow this guide, but you'll need to find matching Hikvision models and respective firmware.

So to flash it with Hikvision firmware, go to http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/, search for "DS-76xxNI-E" firmware. As of writing this, only v3.3.4 and v3.1.0 are available and I recommend v3.1.0 since v3.3.4 still has some issues that need to be worked out. See: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4879-HIKVISION-NVR-DS-7616N-E2-8P-3-1-0-us-firmware-Virtual-Host-and-Smart-Event-features?p=47173&viewfull=1#post47173

Then all you have to do is follow the firmware upgrading guide from Swann: http://www.swann.com/downloads/New_FTP/Name/Public_firmware_updates/NVR/Updating firmware on a Swann NVR Rev1.pdf which tells you to use the PC client software to update firmware. Updating through the NVR interface doesn't work and will give you a "firmware mismatch" or something.

Alternatively (or if something goes wrong), just download the tftp tool from Hikvision and you can reload the firmware again. You just extract the tool and firmware (.dav file) into a folder, change your IP address to 192.0.0.128, make sure your computer is connected to the NVR (via crossover cable OR a mutual switch/router), run the .exe, power the NVR on, and wait. I actually had to use this method in the end due to weird issues after loading firmware using the "swann" method. You can find more information on all this here: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/692-What-is-the-de-bricking-process-for-HIKVision-camera-and-NVR-firmware-updates

Cameras can also be converted to hikvision by using the web-interface on the camera, or through the NVR interface. Funny enough, the Swann NVR interface will actually let you upgrade with Hikvision camera firmware no problem. To get the latest firmware, you should do some browsing on Hikvision's website and find your camera, but the one that I worked on was a DS-2CD2032-I, so again you just go to http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/ and search for "DS-2CD2" and find the right firmware for your specific model. The latest one at the time of posting for the DS-2CD2032-I is "DS-2CD2x12,2x32 IP camera firmware v5.3.0_150513". Depending on how new your swann camera firmware is, you may or may not want or need to upgrade them.

After that, you've successfully converted your Swann System (back) into a Hikvision System!

As for anyone wondering why you would want to do this:
-iVMS-4500 is leaps and bounds better than the Swannview App (on iOS AND android)
-Smart Events support (Line crossing detection, Intrusion detection)
-3MP recording at 20fps
-Custom bitrate from 32kbps to 12288kbps (main stream), 32kbps to 8192kbps (sub stream)
-40/80/160Mbps incoming bandwidth (if you use 3.3.4 firmware, which again, see: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4879-HIKVISION-NVR-DS-7616N-E2-8P-3-1-0-us-firmware-Virtual-Host-and-Smart-Event-features?p=47173&viewfull=1#post47173)
-Virtual-host support, so you can access the camera's web-interface to fine-tune picture settings like WDR and enable Smart IR (Not required, as you can just plug your laptop into the NVR and do the same thing, but this is MUCH more convenient)
-Probably a few other minor things I'm missing

And why you don't want to do this:
-You'll void your warranty

BLMacs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey DemonicHawk - I was wondering how you (or anyone for that matter) determine the OEM model number for a rebranded product? I too have a Swann NVR8-7200 that was purchased as the CONVR-A81080P from Costco circa March 2013. Unfortunately, I think it's considered an 'older' version since it doesn't have a UID. I just want to confirm that using Hik DS-76xxNI-E firmware is the correct for my unit. I'm having some problems adding third party cameras (which I know can be a problem itself) and am considering just updating everything to OEM Hik. Thanks!

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a surefire way to determine the OEM model number. The way I've done it is usually by matching visual appearance, specifications, and user interface. The most important thing is just determining if it is a Hikvision NVR. After you've confirmed that, you can always use TFTP to recover from a bad update.

Looking at the Swann firmwares for the NVR8-7200 here: http://swann.com/downloads/New_FTP/Name/Public_firmware_updates/NVR/08ch/7200/, they all appear to be Hikvision firmwares so you should be fine. I'm pretty sure it'll also give you a "firmware mismatch" error if it's for the wrong model - provided you're upgrading through the NVR or web interface.

BLMacs

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a surefire way to determine the OEM model number. The way I've done it is usually by matching visual appearance, specifications, and user interface. The most important thing is just determining if it is a Hikvision NVR. After you've confirmed that, you can always use TFTP to recover from a bad update.

Looking at the Swann firmwares for the NVR8-7200 here: http://swann.com/downloads/New_FTP/Name/Public_firmware_updates/NVR/08ch/7200/, they all appear to be Hikvision firmwares so you should be fine. I'm pretty sure it'll also give you a "firmware mismatch" error if it's for the wrong model - provided you're upgrading through the NVR or web interface.
Thank you. I appreciate your instructions and opinion on the upgrade. I'll consider giving it a try thanks to your insight!

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
I helped a friend do this a while back and yes it is possible. The model if I recall only shows "16ch 3MP NVR" or "8ch 3MP NVR" which is actually an "nvr16-7200" and "nvr8-7200" respectively. As a Hikvision, it's actually just the DS-76xx-E1/E2 series. If yours isn't the same, you can still follow this guide, but you'll need to find matching Hikvision models and respective firmware.

So to flash it with Hikvision firmware, go to http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/, search for "DS-76xxNI-E" firmware. As of writing this, only v3.3.4 and v3.1.0 are available and I recommend v3.1.0 since v3.3.4 still has some issues that need to be worked out. See: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4879-HIKVISION-NVR-DS-7616N-E2-8P-3-1-0-us-firmware-Virtual-Host-and-Smart-Event-features?p=47173&viewfull=1#post47173

Then all you have to do is follow the firmware upgrading guide from Swann: http://www.swann.com/downloads/New_FTP/Name/Public_firmware_updates/NVR/Updating firmware on a Swann NVR Rev1.pdf which tells you to use the PC client software to update firmware. Updating through the NVR interface doesn't work and will give you a "firmware mismatch" or something.

Alternatively (or if something goes wrong), just download the tftp tool from Hikvision and you can reload the firmware again. You just extract the tool and firmware (.dav file) into a folder, change your IP address to 192.0.0.128, make sure your computer is connected to the NVR (via crossover cable OR a mutual switch/router), run the .exe, power the NVR on, and wait. I actually had to use this method in the end due to weird issues after loading firmware using the "swann" method. You can find more information on all this here: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/692-What-is-the-de-bricking-process-for-HIKVision-camera-and-NVR-firmware-updates

Cameras can also be converted to hikvision by using the web-interface on the camera, or through the NVR interface. Funny enough, the Swann NVR interface will actually let you upgrade with Hikvision camera firmware no problem. To get the latest firmware, you should do some browsing on Hikvision's website and find your camera, but the one that I worked on was a DS-2CD2032-I, so again you just go to http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/ and search for "DS-2CD2" and find the right firmware for your specific model. The latest one at the time of posting for the DS-2CD2032-I is "DS-2CD2x12,2x32 IP camera firmware v5.3.0_150513". Depending on how new your swann camera firmware is, you may or may not want or need to upgrade them.

After that, you've successfully converted your Swann System (back) into a Hikvision System!

As for anyone wondering why you would want to do this:
-iVMS-4500 is leaps and bounds better than the Swannview App (on iOS AND android)
-Smart Events support (Line crossing detection, Intrusion detection)
-3MP recording at 20fps
-Custom bitrate from 32kbps to 12288kbps (main stream), 32kbps to 8192kbps (sub stream)
-40/80/160Mbps incoming bandwidth (if you use 3.3.4 firmware, which again, see: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4879-HIKVISION-NVR-DS-7616N-E2-8P-3-1-0-us-firmware-Virtual-Host-and-Smart-Event-features?p=47173&viewfull=1#post47173)
-Virtual-host support, so you can access the camera's web-interface to fine-tune picture settings like WDR and enable Smart IR (Not required, as you can just plug your laptop into the NVR and do the same thing, but this is MUCH more convenient)
-Probably a few other minor things I'm missing

And why you don't want to do this:
-You'll void your warranty

Is there an order in which we should firmware update the NVR & Cameras? Should we update firmware cameras first or the NVR first? Do we have to update firmware on cameras or can we only update firmware on NVR?

Finally, I'm extremely technical, but on a scale of 1-10 how dangerous do you think it is updating firmware on this NVR?

Your post is immensely useful. I've been scratching my head as to why Hikvision's iPhone app didn't work on my Swann system until I read this.

thanks!

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there an order in which we should firmware update the NVR & Cameras? Should we update firmware cameras first or the NVR first? Do we have to update firmware on cameras or can we only update firmware on NVR?
It doesn't really matter, I've done it both ways (camera first and NVR first) and neither gave me issues. Personally though, I prefer camera first and then the NVR so that the NVR doesn't have any memory of the camera on the older firmware. Assuming you factory reset them after doing an upgrade of course.

Do we have to update firmware on cameras or can we only update firmware on NVR?
Yes, but if your camera firmware is too old and the NVR firmware is too new, you might have issues. Not so much a Swann issue so much as it is a Hikvision issue.

Finally, I'm extremely technical, but on a scale of 1-10 how dangerous do you think it is updating firmware on this NVR?
I'm going to interpret dangerous as "irreversible damage" in which case I would put it as 1. Might be a bit hard to find, but there's definitely a post or two on how to backup your NVR firmware. I've never felt the need to do it, but the option is there if you're really afraid. Knowing how to TFTP will solve your problems 99.9% of the time. The other 0.1% is if your NVR gets hit by lightning while you're updating.

Best of luck! Hikvision's mobile app is leaps and bounds better than the Swann one.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter, I've done it both ways (camera first and NVR first) and neither gave me issues. Personally though, I prefer camera first and then the NVR so that the NVR doesn't have any memory of the camera on the older firmware. Assuming you factory reset them after doing an upgrade of course.

Do we have to update firmware on cameras or can we only update firmware on NVR?
Yes, but if your camera firmware is too old and the NVR firmware is too new, you might have issues. Not so much a Swann issue so much as it is a Hikvision issue.

I'm going to interpret dangerous as "irreversible damage" in which case I would put it as 1. Might be a bit hard to find, but there's definitely a post or two on how to backup your NVR firmware. I've never felt the need to do it, but the option is there if you're really afraid. Knowing how to TFTP will solve your problems 99.9% of the time. The other 0.1% is if your NVR gets hit by lightning while you're updating.

Best of luck! Hikvision's mobile app is leaps and bounds better than the Swann one.
Thanks a bunch!! Very helpful. I'll give this a go over the weekend after my new camera comes in tomorrow.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch!! Very helpful. I'll give this a go over the weekend after my new camera comes in tomorrow.
Well I managed to brick the NVR. I believe it has something to do with the firmware file that was recommended. I triple checked everything and when the password screen came up I set the password and it won't allow me to use that same password. Plus the username field just has some weird ascii character (like a block) in it. I've seen this issue elsewhere in the forum so I'll see if there's some other way to re-flash my NVR.

Also, the TFTP software Hikvision was supplying is not longer available. I managed to find an old copy somewhere on the internet and that version throws an error while trying to open a file that it shouldn't even be looking for.

Hope I get this working.. or perhaps I'm stuck with a rather large paperweight.. :-/

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I managed to brick the NVR. I believe it has something to do with the firmware file that was recommended. I triple checked everything and when the password screen came up I set the password and it won't allow me to use that same password. Plus the username field just has some weird ascii character (like a block) in it. I've seen this issue elsewhere in the forum so I'll see if there's some other way to re-flash my NVR.

Also, the TFTP software Hikvision was supplying is not longer available. I managed to find an old copy somewhere on the internet and that version throws an error while trying to open a file that it shouldn't even be looking for.

Hope I get this working.. or perhaps I'm stuck with a rather large paperweight.. :-/
I've seen that problem quite a few times, tftp will fix it. I've attached a copy in case you're still having trouble finding one. Just extract it, put the firmware file in the same folder, change your computer ip to 192.0.0.64, and restart the NVR with the power switch. Takes maybe 3-5 minutes and the NVR will automatically reboot when done.

Attachments

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
I've seen that problem quite a few times, tftp will fix it. I've attached a copy in case you're still having trouble finding one. Just extract it, put the firmware file in the same folder, change your computer ip to 192.0.0.64, and restart the NVR with the power switch. Takes maybe 3-5 minutes and the NVR will automatically reboot when done.
Thanks DemonicHawk. I was able to get it to work finally.. weird the tftp client was incorrectly developed without the last backslash in the folder path so it was looking for something like c:\TFTP-Auto-Updatedigicap.dav instead of c:\TFTP-Auto-Update\digicap.dav.

Now the problem is when the NVR reboots and the screen comes on, I see a bunch of strange characters,with some English screens mixed in. When I login via the remote web interface it is all English. I tried someone else's suggestion of using a mod tool called Hiktools.exe to change the language version but the remote web interface would not allow me to upgrade the firmware with the modded version. I actually made sure to use the English version of the firmware upgrade- the zip file specifically has US in the filename and it was pulled from the US site.

By the way I'm using version 3.1.0 of the firmware as you suggested as 3.4.x was causing issues.

Last but not least none of the cameras have power since the upgrade. There are no lights on the POE switch ports- please tell me I didn't brick my cameras??!?!?

I did not upgrade the firmware on the cameras first as I thought I read that the order didn't mater much.

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks DemonicHawk. I was able to get it to work finally.. weird the tftp client was incorrectly developed without the last backslash in the folder path so it was looking for something like c:\TFTP-Auto-Updatedigicap.dav instead of c:\TFTP-Auto-Update\digicap.dav.

Now the problem is when the NVR reboots and the screen comes on, I see a bunch of strange characters,with some English screens mixed in. When I login via the remote web interface it is all English. I tried someone else's suggestion of using a mod tool called Hiktools.exe to change the language version but the remote web interface would not allow me to upgrade the firmware with the modded version. I actually made sure to use the English version of the firmware upgrade- the zip file specifically has US in the filename and it was pulled from the US site.

By the way I'm using version 3.1.0 of the firmware as you suggested as 3.4.x was causing issues.

Last but not least none of the cameras have power since the upgrade. There are no lights on the POE switch ports- please tell me I didn't brick my cameras??!?!?

I did not upgrade the firmware on the cameras first as I thought I read that the order didn't mater much.
That doesn't sound normal.. I've also never had that issue with tftp. You shouldn't need to mess with Hiktools since your NVR should already be western region. You can verify by looking at the serial number and checking that it doesn't contain "CCCH". Are you sure your NVR is a DS-76xxNI-E?

Since you're familiar with tftp now, you can try flashing different firmwares (i.e. v3.4.0) to see if you can get things working properly first.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
How do I confirm the version if I have a Swann 16ch/8 camera system from Costco with 3MP cameras?

When I go the Hikvision web interface it says the NVR is DS-7116N-SN although I could have sworn everyone says the Costco model over the last year is 7616.

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I go the Hikvision web interface it says the NVR is DS-7116N-SN although I could have sworn everyone says the Costco model over the last year is 7616.
Well I think that, combined with all the issues you're facing is a pretty clear indicator that you don't have the 7600 series. Have you taken a look at pictures of the 7616? Because it looks nothing like the 7116.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes my NVR looks exactly like the 7616. It doesn't look anything like the mobile nvr 7116. This is why I find it weird that it thinks it's the 7116 even though I used the US-based 7616-E2/8P firmware version 3.1.0. I have the one with 16 channels but only 8 of the ports are powered with POE.

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes my NVR looks exactly like the 7616. It doesn't look anything like the mobile nvr 7116. This is why I find it weird that it thinks it's the 7116 even though I used the US-based 7616-E2/8P firmware version 3.1.0. I have the one with 16 channels but only 8 of the ports are powered with POE.
Hmm.. interesting, I recall there are ways to check the underlying model if you telnet into the NVR, but v3.1.0 already has the protected shell which prevents you from running the necessary commands to check.

What I would suggest (although tedious and requires you to know to get around a Linux shell), is flashing a pre-3.1.0 firmware and then telnet in to check the model. I forget the specific command, but if you type "help" it'll show you the commands you can use. Alternatively you can also just look in the /bin directory.

If you don't want to do that, you could just try flashing the 7116 firmware and see what happens. Firmware updates won't affect your ability to tftp so even if it bricks, you'll always be able to flash something else. It could be possible that it has the 7116 internals? No idea how or why, but that's my guess.

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks I'll try a pre 3.1.0 and telnet. Quick question- will it give me an issue if I downgrade the firmware or since I'm using tftp it has no knowledge of what I'm putting in there?

sauropod

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, if I eventually give up is it possible to find the original Swann firmware for this device?