Swapping out hard drives

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have two 2tb HD’s in a hikvision 7608 and is like to take them and put them in the current 7608 I’m using which only has one 1 tb drive in it. Physically, it is easy to swap them but I’m wondering what happens to my settings (camera and nvr config) once I do this? My hope is that I can put the two drives in and just have it start where it left off. Any help is appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m wondering what happens to my settings (camera and nvr config) once I do this?
The NVR settings are held in part of the NVR flash memory, not in the HDD.
I believe the settings in an exported configuration settings file are keyed to the NVR that it was taken from.
They are also keyed to the firmware version.
But easy enough to test that.

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The NVR settings are held in part of the NVR flash memory, not in the HDD.
I believe the settings in an exported configuration settings file are keyed to the NVR that it was taken from.
They are also keyed to the firmware version.
But easy enough to test that.

Not sure I followed that. Do I need to export the config files if they aren’t on the hard drives?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't believe that you will be able to import a configuration file that's been exported from another NVR, but easy enough to try.

mpunt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't believe that you will be able to import a configuration file that's been exported from another NVR, but easy enough to try.
I don’t need the config file from the nvr that had the hard drives in it. I just need to take those two hds and put them in the current nvr I’m using.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
it is easy to swap them but I’m wondering what happens to my settings (camera and nvr config) once I do this? My hope is that I can put the two drives in and just have it start where it left off.
Sorry - I thought you were asking about transferring the settings / configuration over to the other NVR.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nothing will happen to your settings, you just might have to initialize the HD's.