switch 4port POE modeA

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a 4POE switch and I want to know if it can connect in modeA. For example the TPLink TL-SG1008P.
I don't find this info in the datasheet of POE switch... can all of them do this?
How I can verify it's using only 4wires, leaving the other 4 free to other uses?
Should I try to connect the ipcamera with a custom cable with only 4 wires and see if it get the power?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a 4POE switch and I want to know if it can connect in modeA. For example the TPLink TL-SG1008P.
I don't find this info in the datasheet of POE switch... can all of them do this?
How I can verify it's using only 4wires, leaving the other 4 free to other uses?
Should I try to connect the ipcamera with a custom cable with only 4 wires and see if it get the power?
Those switches use mode A....

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perfect.
I know modeB is the default in Gigabit connection.
But is modeA the default one when using 10/100? Someone told me the default is modeB even in 10/100(?).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Perfect.
I know modeB is the default in Gigabit connection.
But is modeA the default one when using 10/100? Someone told me the default is modeB even in 10/100(?).
No, its only midspans that default to mode B

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. I have another doubt: maybe I will put it outside under a canopy, so what's the better box to cover it?
Perfectly isolated airtight container or one with low-high openings to let air flow?
In the closed box I fear too much heat (4POE) in summer and maybe also condensation. The other one, insects...