Switch Advice (16 POE, 8 non-POE, unmanaged, Gigabit, not loud)

Bryk

n3wb
Reaction score
First time post. This forum has been very helpful.

I'm putting together a system for home surveillance. I purchased a Dell OptiPlex MT 5040 i7-6700 via eBay based on helpful recommendations on this forum. Will install a 240 Gb SSD drive and 16 Gb of memory. I plan to purchase Blue Iris as well. Will install 8 POE cameras inside and outside of the house (Hikvision; still doing research on which ones to purchase for each location). I want room to add 8 additional cameras. I don't anticipate being a "power user" of BI or the cameras. Once get things set up and working OK, I'll like not change things for a while.

It would be great to get some advice on the switch I should purchase. I've searched the forum for "switch" and various brands and read the various threads. I haven't found a switch that seems exactly right.

Assumption: Since I don't think I will be a "power user", I think I will be happy with an unmanaged switch.
I'd like to have the switch located in my home office and use it to connect a few other devices (e.g., printers, computers). Thus, I'd prefer the switch wasn't too loud/noisy. So, I think I am looking at 16 POE ports and maybe 8 non-POE ports.

I'd like Gigabit, as several on this forum suggest "future proofing".

Given that, does anyone have switch recommendations? I don't know exactly which cameras I will purchase, so I don't know power requirements yet. If you think I should come back after I figure out the cameras, just let me know.

One switch that has been mentioned is D-Link WebSmart DGS-1210-28P Ethernet Switch. Amazon has the 28 POE port unit for $308. That seems a bit expensive. And, some of the reviewers have said the unit is noisy/loud. I also don't need the full 28 ports to be POE, but the next step down is only 10 ports POE. And, the switch is managed, and I don't think I would use the features of a managed switch.

Another switch is D-Link 28-Port Fast Ethernet WebSmart PoE+ Switch including 2 Gigabit BASE-T and 2 Gigabit Combo BASE-T/SFP Ports (DES-1210-28P). This is less expensive (~$240) but the reviews also mention that the fans are loud.

I did a little bit of research on Netgear switches. They don't seem to be loud, but the cost is north of the expensive D-Link switch, and I'm not sure I want to go there.

I've looked at other switches and won't list them in this already-too-long note.

Any pointers on alternatives? And, have I missed anything in my set of requirements?

Thanks in advance.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Will install a 240 Gb SSD drive and 16 Gb of memory.
Fine (good, even) for the OS, but you will need a large HDD or 2 for the recordings.
16 cameras with continuous recording will require double-digit TB of storage if you want any reasonable history to be available.#
I'd like Gigabit, as several on this forum suggest "future proofing".
Complete overkill for camera ports, as even 10Mbps is still a small fraction of a 10/100Mbps port - but anywhere traffic is aggregated, for example feeding an NVR (PC or dedicated box) Gigabit will be needed. So maybe split into 2 switches, 10/100 and Gigabit with a Gigabit uplink between.

bryansj

n3wb
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread which is 12 PoE ports and 12 non-PoE. I don't hear mine, but it is in the basement in my server rack.

I got a deal on this switch from Amazon Warehouse Deals: NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS524PE 24-Port Gigabit PoE Web Managed (Plus) Switch with 12 PoE Ports 100w (JGS524PE-100NAS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG1ADLS/

It was Like New condition with an extra 15% off. Plus they've honored the $30 rebate. $156.95 shipped after rebate. I don't see that deal again, but they do have one that would be $200 after rebate.

I had outgrown my 16 port gigabit switch and needed more ports and PoE. This adds 12 PoE and 12 regular ports all gigabit, plus it is a smart switch and rack mounted. Still running my 16 port switch for low bandwidth devices and unused jacks around the house (I run at least two to each drop).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Bryk

n3wb
Reaction score
Zorac, the Cisco injector you use does not have a Gigabit connection back to your switch or router. Scotland mentioned earlier this would be good to have. Does this present any throughput challenges? Using a switch plus injector seems like the way to go for future expandability and I'll be doing more research on that (I should have thought more about Nayr's many posts on that approach). And, the switch mentioned by bryansj could be a good switch to start with (and augment with the Cisco sg200-26) if I could get as good of a deal as he got. More research.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Zorac, the Cisco injector you use does not have a Gigabit connection back to your switch or router. Scotland mentioned earlier this would be good to have.
That Cisco switch is Gigabit on all ports, so it's more than capable of handling IP camera traffic.

The PoE injector provides power, and is placed in-line with the camera ethernet cable, it does not provide any networking capability, it will not be part of any uplink/downlink cable between switches / router.
Curiously, although it looks from the product info and reviews that the product is sound, the description holds a contradiction:
"WS-POE-8-48v120w passive 802.3af Power Over Ethernet POE Injector for 8 IP cameras"
802.3af describes an active injector.

BLKMGK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would suggest a pair of 8port TP-Link managed switches. I have just replaced all of my switches with these managed switches and have one of their 8 port units with POE about to go in - only 4 ports POE. The managed part is helpful in that you get cable troubleshooting, loop detection, and can set VLAN and QOS to segregate or prioritize traffic. My intent is to have all of my cameras on a separate IP space that cannot access the 'net using VLANs. I have also used a TP-Link Injector and it seems to work well but I've not been using it very long, I've had one lockup so far that I can't explain - that camera is also running traffic via powerline so weirdness is expected.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BW0AD1W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought a couple of these 8-port HP PoE switches on eBay for about $30. - HP J8762A ProCurve 2600-PWR PoE 8 Port 10/100-TX Ethernet Network Switch. You usually can find these on eBay often. Sure they are used, but for the price you can buy a spare. A nice feature is this switch has a gigabit uplink port. A down side is these have a noisy fan, but that's ok since mine is in the garage.

btb601

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread which is 12 PoE ports and 12 non-PoE. I don't hear mine, but it is in the basement in my server rack.

I got a deal on this switch from Amazon Warehouse Deals: NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS524PE 24-Port Gigabit PoE Web Managed (Plus) Switch with 12 PoE Ports 100w (JGS524PE-100NAS) Amazon.com: NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS524PE 24-Port Gigabit PoE Web Managed (Plus) Switch with 12 PoE Ports 100w (JGS524PE-100NAS): Computers & Accessories

It was Like New condition with an extra 15% off. Plus they've honored the $30 rebate. $156.95 shipped after rebate. I don't see that deal again, but they do have one that would be $200 after rebate.

I had outgrown my 16 port gigabit switch and needed more ports and PoE. This adds 12 PoE and 12 regular ports all gigabit, plus it is a smart switch and rack mounted. Still running my 16 port switch for low bandwidth devices and unused jacks around the house (I run at least two to each drop).
Thanks for your postings on this. It made me sit here last night right up to midnight and I had that 24-porter in my cart on Amazon after I received a last chancer email from Amazon's Cyber Monday Daily Deal. Bought it at 169.99-30.00 rebate=$150 I did what to buy it yet, but at that price was a steal
So this is my official start of buying what I need to run a computer security system. I've toyed with toy camera (Foscam) and also been using two Logitech desk cams 920, and 930. And they don't do the trick at all. So off to figure what cams to buy and where. Not to mention keeping an eye out for a ssf i7 computer system. So down the path I go. Now off to the camera section and get educated, or try.

Sorry for going off track here, I just had to do the Paul Harvey thing, "Now this is the rest of the story."